Aiming HIDs After Conversion

AcesMP5

:
2002 Protege5
In the 2002 P5 im having trouble aiming the hids bulbs. After some careful inspection the bulbs shroud does not fully slide in the bulb socket for the reflector in the housing.

Anyone run into this? I dont want to sand the shroud down for worry I would get residue on the bulb and ruin it.

Are you using the stock headlight housing? Did you get the proper bulb size? If yes to the above, they should fit right.

heh my bulbs didnt fit either. i had to clip some plastic on the bulb's base so the headlight metal clip could lock it in place. after that you just get a 10mm (i think) wrench or socket and adjust the headlight

Mine point up in the housing...I think I may remove them and file off some of the tabs around the edges. I have heard that helps.

Yea I had to modify some plastic spacers so the stock bracket would work with it. And then it doesnt go all the way in the housing so they point either way high or too low. Even with adjustment. The high beams are never where they need to be due to the excessive adjustment that has to take place to get the lows aimed correctly.

mine came in Perfectly XP
i just had to aim them lower after the install because there was too much of a glare for other ppl...but i did have the problem at first until i rotated them and then they came into place like the normal Halogen bulbs

Which kit do you have, I'm curious. I plan on ordering a DDM Tuning kit very soon.

Well I bought another set of bulbs to see if they will fit better. Answer to follow .

I did need to clip a corner on each of the spacers included with the HID bulbs.

The stock halogens use a spacer so the HID's don't jsut drop in either. They come with (Or should come with) a spacer itself

I order all my kits from MYdepots.com I have a set of the Slim 35w w/6000k h7s for the P5 and a set of 55w slims with 5000k h11s for the S70 and S60.

So far they have been great. Ive had the first set on the S70 for almost 2 years and no change or hiccups to report.

I modified the stock spacer by removing the center of the spacer with the metal contacts. Basically it looks like an O ring with the raised bumps. It slides over the new bulbs and works like a stock fitting.

Anyone have pics of what the cutoff is supposed to look like against a flat wall (I heard the passenger side is supposed to sit higher)? Stock housing if possible.

Last edited:
On the DDM kit I had to trim off one of the tabs on the spacer. Maybe I was just not patient enough and didn't want to mess around with it. But the bulbs sit in the housing correctly and they're aimed as close to perfect as I can get them. They were really close to begin with, so that leads me to believe I installed them correctly.

best i can getcha

headlights.jpg

trim tabs??

That's just the Apexcone DDM slim kit slapped into the stock hsouings

and THIS is how the cutoff should look after a REAL conversion. lol

3730523737_a3eb2d8a75_b.jpg

Yeah I know what you mean about the spacer, the one I got with the ddm kit took alot of messing around with to get the spring to click, but as soon as it did it sat in there very nicely. So they will click without trimming but it takes a little patience.

For aiming, I just spun them way down for now, so that I know they aren't in anyones eyes for sure. They are probably a little low, but doesn't really matter in the city so much.

Now I need to put a DRL relay in

as to aiming the stock headlights with HID's, i just put em as Simplypete did, TOO LOW

then, drive around adjusting em up little by little till you get flashed, then, take em back down 1/8th turn

Back