The Next-Generation Mazda CX-5 Will Be Hybrid

As I contemplate my next new car purchase, the odds of me buying a 3rd CX5 (had a 2014, have a 2020) just increased from near-zero (only because I like variety; I love CX5s) to maybe 85%. If I have any complaint about my 2020, it's that I think it should be better than 26 mpg lifetime. Give me 35 mpg and the seamless stop-start of a Prius, and I"m in!
Had a 2020 NA Petrol, have a 2023 NA Petrol M-Hybrid (bloody envious that you guys in America can have turbo charged option). M-Hybrid with my driving style reduced fuel consumption by around 15% and and stop-start is absolutely seamless. All the rest is pure marketing hype.

Why not? Majority of energy from wind and PV we are losing because it is mainly generated when we don't really need it. Hydrogen generation requires plenty of energy, however it could be generated locally at fuel stations just using excess of the generation from renewables. In Europe there is very few stations where you can refill your hydrogen car at the moment but it may change pretty soon. The bigger concern would be replacement of all the ICEs with BEVs - especially because of huge ramp up of power demands and no infrastructure for sending this excessive power demand.
In US the infrastructure for BEVs which is much easier to build is far behind at this time. And California will totally ban the ICE in 2035 which is only 11 years away. IMO I simply can’t believe we in the US can have an infrastructure for hydrogen cell vehicles fully built in next 100 years! Here goes the future of hydrogen cell vehicles.

Ha, I agree with you on almost everything you’ve said. Remember I said earlier that “we moved the pollution problems to the power plants for better air quality” by using the BEV, and “I have to believe there’s climate change crisis!” because my home owner insurance just doubled from $2,000 per year last year to $4,000 this year!

Having to pay twice more for the insurance would be a crisis to me as well. :eek:
I've read recently that since 2005 USA has lowered CO2 emissions per capita much more than Europe. The other difference is that EU has signed Kyoto Protocol in 2005 and spent trillions of $ to follow its requirements, while US hasn't spent anything because they have had a wise president at that time who said it was rubbish and rejected it.

Having to pay twice more for the insurance would be a crisis to me as well. :eek:
I've read recently that since 2005 USA has lowered CO2 emissions per capita much more than Europe. The other difference is that EU has signed Kyoto Protocol in 2005 and spent trillions of $ to follow its requirements, while US hasn't spent anything because they have had a wise president at that time who said it was rubbish and rejected it.
And in the US California is following the steps closely from EU to fight climate change.

In US the infrastructure for BEVs which is much easier to build is far behind at this time. And California will totally ban the ICE in 2035 which is only 11 years away. IMO I simply can’t believe we in the US can have an infrastructure for hydrogen cell vehicles fully built in next 100 years! Here goes the future of hydrogen cell vehicles.

What infrastructure do you mean? You need water and electric energy to generate it. You can transport it as any other liquid gas or petrol using lorries. And finally you can produce it on fuel stations - having smaller generator.

Another thing to consider about BEV - having the same number of cars, can you imagine how many charging points you'd need to have no ques? And beside of extra energy demand, todays energy generation is based on daily and weekly energy demand patterns which allow to optimise generation of electricity (bear in mind that switching on and off turbo-generator in power plant is fairly complicated and time consuming process). BEVs themselves would constitute huge demand and this demand wouldn't look like any pattern - simply, you recharge your car when you need it, not like a lamps which you turn on when is dark. IMO it could lead to the situations where you want to recharge your car and you can't because there is no such a power in the grid at the moment.

I believe that BEVs is only an interim arrangement and will never play a leading role on automotive market.

And in the US California is following the steps closely from EU to fight climate change.

Yes, because California is led by the same leftist as EU and they have made climatism their religion.

In 2020 UK have committed to introduce ICE ban from 2030, some people were moaning that it is too late, we need it by 2025. Last year it has been postponed to 2035 because of no infrastructure and most likely will be postponed again.

Last edited:
Mazda started rolling out patents for what became the 8 speed RWD/AWD transmission in 2016-2017and then updating as the years went along, they have also been doing the same for a FWD/AWD 8 speed as well that they continue to update some patent work on. I would not be terribly surprised if they start rolling it out with the new CX-5 if the unit makes it into production.

Yes :) How much horse powers do you expect new hybrid CX-5 will have.
Reported by a Japanese media (bestCar?)... I am looking for the direct source.

"It will be based on a new Hybrid power system developed by Mazda. Combing 2.0L four cylinder ICE with new electric motors into a new hybrid system, better performance and fuel economy is expected. In addition, there will be a BEV model to challenge the leadership of Tesla Model Y."

https_//bestcarweb.jp/newcar/848893

arata_01_l.jpg

Damn, just got my 2020 GT a couple of months ago 😂 Whatever, I guess. By the time I need to upgrade, this lineup should be all polished up for me.

Anyhow, hybrid should be a good option to improve gas mileage and possibly performance, yes? Especially if it was a turbo model. I know certain states in the US, and even cities here in Canada are looking to phase out gas vehicles. So this could be a solid option to look out for in the future.

Damn, just got my 2020 GT a couple of months ago 😂 Whatever, I guess. By the time I need to upgrade, this lineup should be all polished up for me.
No rush. I plan on keeping my 2023 Turbo until 2030, when I expect a refresh of Gen 3 to be near.

My next vehicle will likely be a PHEV.
My commute is 15-mile one way. I just need 30 mile of range.
Why lugging a heavy battery around to mitigate range anxiety?
I just need a 10kwh battery pack on board, instead of a 100kwh one.

95% of my travels will be using electricity. Home charging with 240v in garage.
Totally make sense to me.
That's almost exactly my situation. And my wife has an electric car so we already have the charger.

I was hoping the CX-70 would fit the bill, but its just a configuration of the CX-90. I parked by a CX-90 at Costco and it is huge compared to the CX-5.

I’ll have to pass on any “mild” hybrid options. I seriously considered the new gen Prius before I got my 23 turbo CX-5. The SUV form factor was just too good to pass up for our family of four and how much handy work I do at home. Ten plus years of owning a 2013 CX-5 and it taking a front collision like a champ also swayed me.

If I can swing it, we’ll likely get this gen Prius used for my kids when they’re driving age. If Mazda can get that level of performance for a full blown hybrid (and sacrificing some MPGs for SUV form), I’d be very interested.

I seriously considered the new gen Prius before I got my 23 turbo CX-5. The SUV form factor was just too good to pass up for our family of four and how much handy work I do at home.
That's funny—I did, too. That is a neat car. But ultimately less practical for me and I don't drive enough for the mileage to add up and negate the downsides of losing the practicality, build, and performance of the CX-5.

We are in! We looked at a Toyotas hybrids when replacing our 2018 CX5 but did not like the styling. So purchased a 2024 CX5 Turbo. Would have got a hybrid CX5 if they offered them here in the US.

Recently had my Volvo in the shop. Gave me the XC90 Recharge for a loaner car, what Volvo calls the PHEV cars. Let me preface this by saying I truly don't like the biggest cars. The CX9\XC90\\Highlander and cars of that size. Just too big for me. I don't need or want anything that large.
As soon as they dropped off the XC90...the bus as my wife and I called it...I thought "Man, I am going to hate this".
I get inside...there's that "big feeling"...though...not quite as big 'feeling' as it looks from the outside.
Then I drove it...those of you hoping a PHEV Mazda will be fast? Yea...let me just drop the XC's numbers here:
T8 Twin Engine (gas + electric)
455 hp. 523 lb-ft
58 MPG Avg
0-60: 4.5
WOW...this bus was the absolute most fun bus thing I've ever driven. Astonishingly quick. The quickness took this big looking bus and made it feel like a tiny little CUV the way you are able to just toss it around. And using -0- gas on my 6 mile commute was actually a fun little game. There's a little meter in the dash that shows when you are on battery or on gas.
Even in pure gas mode, this thing was so damn quick.
Point: I welcome a Mazda CX5 PHEV IF they can do it even 80% as well as Volvo has done it. And hopefully that's why they waited, to do it right.
Truly believe we should be making and buying more PHEV's for now, in the US, and less EV's. And I didn't think that...before I drove Volvo's PHEV.
No...I don't regret getting my S60 with the straight ICE T6 and the paltry 22MPG city and just over 30 highway (cannot even imagine this car with that same 455hp) ...but my next car will either be a S60 Recharge.... or a Mazda PHEV. :D

Back