400whp Full Build Up Q&A

My brother has a grand national, stock with a few mods is nothing, I can keep up with him, no problem. But with a bigger turbo and some other nice upgrades, you'd be happy with it. Good luck finding one for less than $9k in good condition though. The only bad thing is the years affect on the car you buy.

My brother's is almost 20 years old now and it's falling apart on him. He's upgraded ALOT and the engine looks fantasic. (some of the guys from the FL meet saw it). But it HAD a bigger turbo years ago, a GT-61 or 70 series turbo, (before it was stolen at the mechanic's shop), and his car was a street driven 550 hp daily driver.

dont know how much this has been mentioned, but any transmission solutions? the protegegarage upgrade kit isnt enuff... anything else?

protegeric said:
dont know how much this has been mentioned, but any transmission solutions? the protegegarage upgrade kit isnt enuff... anything else?

How so? Our weakes link is the LSD and the 3rd gear and PG reaplaces both of those.

Just to keep things up to date, I decided to just have a stock replacement engine and run low boost and enjoy the car for what it is. This is a good decision I think because the MSP is just not a good platform to make a 400+whp car that would be reliable and hold up to track abuse.

shift fork and 2nd likes to fail in my car. also, i dont think the case itself is strong enuff to last for very long running 300HP daily. ive seen a case fail... twice...

03.5MSP said:
How so? Our weakes link is the LSD and the 3rd gear and PG reaplaces both of those.

well, i would suggest a FMIC + CAI + unichip. i think ud be happy with that and you can run essentialy stock with the flip of a switch. or maybe a SMIC upgrade with hardpipes instead of FMIC. and then also maybe just a K&N drop in instead of CAI if u want... but that sounds pretty good for keeping a pretty stock car with a little extra.

youre right though. the Protege isnt a good platform unless u have a buncha money.

benben84 said:
Just to keep things up to date, I decided to just have a stock replacement engine and run low boost and enjoy the car for what it is. This is a good decision I think because the MSP is just not a good platform to make a 400+whp car that would be reliable and hold up to track abuse.

protegeric said:
well, i would suggest a FMIC + CAI + unichip. i think ud be happy with that and you can run essentialy stock with the flip of a switch. or maybe a SMIC upgrade with hardpipes instead of FMIC. and then also maybe just a K&N drop in instead of CAI if u want... but that sounds pretty good for keeping a pretty stock car with a little extra.

youre right though. the Protege isnt a good platform unless u have a buncha money.

Im keeping the mods I already have and running 8psi on Dsmconvert's AFC. That should be good for around 200whp, just by guesstimating.

Latest posts

Back