400whp Full Build Up Q&A

Ok, well lets say my goal is to get 350whp. Will the tranny upgrade and everything else handle that? I would probably hit high horsepower numbers on a dyno and at the track one time just for bragging rights and then run the car normally at 250-270whp daily.

I didnt post this here to fight with some closeminded persons.

speedprotegewi said:
i dunno, i still think your goal is a bit excessive (btw: u will need a roll cage if you are gonna do 11's on the tracks in wi, so add that to the list :p) my brother drives a 13.1sec wrx, my best friend has a 97tt, another friend has an audi s4 and a bmw 740i, another has a s/c'd '05 GTO, another a glorified neon (srt acr) yet all of them love my car even though it is waaaaay slower then theirs. it's all out of respect for another rare sports car. hell 1 out of 1750 is something to say in itself imo

oh and rac3rx should change the "a" in his name to an "i" imo cuz thats what he is acting like

If I wanted Lip from you, I would rattle my Zipper! (boom07)

& Ghost, Your the one crying about a Hollywood flick

Boo Hoo, Hollywood is making money off something thats popular (boom07) Big Suprise.

What about, Surfers, Snowboarders, Bikers, Mobsters, Skaters, Ect. Do you really thing Tuners were the First Pissed at Hollywood for how there world is displayed in a Movie? Come on! THATS HOLLYWOOD!!! What do you expect from them, Man-Up!

Last edited:
Rac3rx if you dont have anything usefull to say please keep quiet, if you want to start s*** go somewhere else

does this shop u are taking it to have any experiance with msp's? i would be interested to see what kinda things they think would break, like trans, axles, diff, crank, etc and buy upgraded of those too while u are at it

benben84 said:
Ok, well lets say my goal is to get 350whp. Will the tranny upgrade and everything else handle that? I would probably hit high horsepower numbers on a dyno and at the track one time just for bragging rights and then run the car normally at 250-270whp daily.

I didnt post this here to fight with some closeminded persons.

Ill try to make this as complete as possible. This is what you will need for 350-400hp and daily driver.

Bottom end.
forged pistons (go a little high maybe 9.1)
Billet Rods (oliver)
Upgraded rod bearings
Billet and balanced crank (MAM's is good)
ARP fasteners (for everything)

Tranny
Clutch
Flywheel (not nessesarily lighter but a stronger compound like chromoly)
Upgraded syncros
Ugraded LSD
Upgraded spider gears
Upgraded fluid that can withstand the high temp
Tranny oil cooler
Stronger axles and driveshafts
Stronger knucles

Brakes You need to stop the car ya know
A good setup (doesnt mean a BBK!)

ECU
Good standalone like a Microtec or AEM
3bar Map sensor (i would go with Motec)

Fuel
Pump ( popular brands like walboro will do)
Fuel rail with a fuel return
Upgraded FPR
Upgraded fuel lines
550+ high imp. injectors

Turbo
GT30rs or equivalent will do
Upgraded manifold
Upgraded pipes (plastic doesnt cut it)
Upgraded FMIC (not some cheap kit)
Upgraded BOV

Suspension
I would upgrade but that is your buisness

Tires
Some good tires that are streetable and kinda soft so you can try to put the hp on the street.

If I missed anything someone pleae add.

Last edited:
Ok you will need:
1. Fully built block
i. rods, pistons, crankwalk fix (buy a MAM block)
ii. headwork (done at shop of your choice, MAM might due it as well but not sure)
2. Turbo Kit: Look at MAM's Thumper kit with the GT30R
3. Bigger injectors
4. MAM's stage 3 fuel rail
5. Upgraded clutch
6. Upgraded flywheel
7. AME EMS
8. Boost gauge
9. Oil Pressure gauge
10. Wideband A/F
11. Fuel pressure gauge
12. Upgraded intake manifold
13. Upgraded ignition system (an MDS system) MAM has stared selling a system
14. Upgraded axles
15. New exhaust system
16. Quaife LSD
17. Upgraded brakes
18. Upgraded motor mounts
19. upgraded tires
20. Probably want shifter bushings
21. Upgraded radiator
22. Upgraded radiator cap
23. Professional install and tuning
24. About $15,000
25. 2 years of reseach
26. Patience (will take about 1 full year)

Last edited:
AbsoluteSwed said:
Ok you will need:
1. Fully built block
i. rods, pistons, crankwalk fix. (buy a MAM block)
ii. headwork (done at shop of your choice, MAM might due it as well but not sure)
2. Turbo Kit: Look at MAM's Thumper kit with the GT30R
3. 1000 cc injectors
4. MAM's stage 3 fuel rail
5. Upgraded clutch
6. Upgraded flywheel
7. AME EMS
8. Boost gauge
9. Oil Pressure gauge
10. Wideband A/F
11. Fuel pressure gauge
12. Upgraded intake manifold
13. Upgraded ignition system (an MDS system) MAM has stared selling a system
14. Upgraded axles
15. New exhaust system
16. Quaife LSD
17. Upgraded brakes
18. Upgraded motor mounts
19. upgraded tires
20. Probably want shifter bushings
21. Upgraded radiator
22. Upgraded radiator cap
23. Professional install and tuning
24. About $15,000
25. 2 years of reseach
26. Patience (will take about 1 full year)

Radiator,intake manifold are not needed but recomended.
1000 cc injectors are a huge overkill.

ghost said:
Ill try to make this as complete as possible. This is what you will need for 350-400hp and daily driver.

Bottom end.
forged pistons (go a little high maybe 9.1)
Billet Rods (oliver)
Upgraded rod bearings
Billet and balanced crank (MAM's is good)
ARP fasteners (for everything)

Tranny
Clutch
Flywheel (not nessesarily lighter but a stronger compound like chromoly)
Upgraded syncros
Ugraded LSD
Upgraded spider gears
Upgraded fluid that can withstand the high temp
Tranny oil cooler
Stronger axles and driveshafts
Stronger knucles

Brakes You need to stop the car ya know
A good setup (doesnt mean a BBK!)

ECU
Good standalone like a Microtec or AEM
3bar Map sensor (i would go with Motec)

Fuel
Pump ( popular brands like walboro will do)
Fuel rail with a fuel return
Upgraded FPR
Upgraded fuel lines
550+ high imp. injectors

Turbo
GT30rs or equivalent will do
Upgraded manifold
Upgraded pipes (plastic doesnt cut it)
Upgraded FMIC (not some cheap kit)
Upgraded BOV

Suspension
I would upgrade but that is your buisness

Tires
Some good tires that are streetable and kinda soft so you can try to put the hp on the street.

If I missed anything someone pleae add.

Now that is what I'm talking about! Thanks! The reason I wanted to know this kind of stuff is just to get an idea of waht to expect and to see if my goal is a little too much. Now that I see what all is needed I'm thinking 300whp is plenty.

BTW, where would you find AWD conversion kits for MSP? That's a new thought. Might as well buy a sti/evo than.

benben84 said:
Now that is what I'm talking about! Thanks! The reason I wanted to know this kind of stuff is just to get an idea of waht to expect and to see if my goal is a little too much. Now that I see what all is needed I'm thinking 300whp is plenty.

BTW, where would you find AWD conversion kits for MSP? That's a new thought. Might as well buy a sti/evo than.

There were Sport20's that were AWD. But, the tranny and suspension changes alot. The best place to try and get the parts for the conversion is www.Corksport.com. Talk to a guy named Justin (xelderX) on the boards here. He attempted to do this conversion. He is the best source to find that info.

If you know how engines work (click here (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/) if you don't and read up as much as you can), then you should know that the only movement the crankshaft should do is its rotational movement in order to move the pistons up and down inside their cylinders. Any slight movement of the crankshaft will cause the connecting rods to move, causing the pistons to move, and not just that, you know (if you know how engine works) that the engine is connected to the transmission via the flywheel and an engaged clutch. This will cause the feeling of the clutch to act odd since the engine is giving play.

Usually on High Hp cars they will add a harmonic balancer to fix this.

Damn ghost you got in before me. Heard cwill was having problems with 550cc, or maybe I am just making this up can't really remember. Well if he ganna spend the amout of cash might was well go a little overkill incase for some reason he wants more since he will have the parts for it, I dont thinks he wants to be hindered by just his injector size.

What is crankwalk you say. Perform a seach and find out, 99.99% of engine/performance issus or ideas have be talk about but here you go. http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106984&highlight=crankwalk

Last edited:
AbsoluteSwed said:
Damn you got in before me. Heard cwill was having problems with 550cc, or maybe I am just making this up can't really remember. Well if he ganna spend the amout of cash might was well go a little overkill incase for some reason he wants more since he will have the parts for it, I dont thinks he wants to be hindered by just his injector size.

Optimal injector duty cycle is 85-95% if he gets less then he will have trouble tuning the idle and the car will "hopp-then-run". If he has more then

BOOM!!

Back