323 gtx build

Buyer liked the mustang more and bought it, looks like I'm keeping it. Also picked up a small 2" fmic instead of the monster 3" I had

Nope, I love it to much. I probably would have cried I'd he bought it. But now there is no chance of it being sold since its my daily again. But I have 2 more weeks or so til I can take my cdl class ill get something newer once I get a better job

Well missed under boost getting on interstate, got on it to make sure it wasn't a hiccup it missed 6 times and afrs stayed steady. Checked just to make sure and sure enough crank pulley is wobbling. Pulling it off tomarow to see if its timing gear, keyway wear, or rubber deterioration.

Either way in going to dread finding a crank pulley. With 198k miles I was hoping it was one of the ones without the issue. I'm tempted to let it go until it breaks the crank considering most people have went 5-10k miles before it broke but others have made it 100 miles or less.

Common issue?? Thats no fun. Hopefully you can source one if need be. Or better still, hopefully you dont need to!

nice write up man :)

u know what u should do.. a FE3 swap ;) there internals are good for 500hp easy. a mate has a 500hp 626 wagon.. could go higher but only has a 2 bar map sensor..

Madmat, is the FE3 as tall as the FSDE in Proteges? I've been tossing up the idea of a swap btwn a KL or trying to be different and getting an FE3. problem is sourcing one...

If it does, I may go the FE3 route

Is your mate on YouTube by chance? I was looking at a 500 horse FE3 and gawking at it the other day.

Last edited:
The FS and FE are both relatively similar in deck height...the heads are different, but i doubt enough to cause a hood clearance problem...the real problem is the FE is extremely long compared to the FS...in fact, the FS name came from 'F series SHORT'...it was designed as a shorter block variant of the same engine family...

The big issue is the FS and KL's were designed for the exact same front sub-frame...that sub-frame never housed an FE3...so most mounting points would need to be custom...that isn't impossible by any means, but it adds very considerable work over a KL swap...which is literally a drop in affair (other than AC)...and most of the hard work is in wiring...which you would still have with an FE3...

Many Mazda guys refer to the FE3 as the best piston engine Mazda ever made...even more so than the BP...both of which are found on numerous 'best 4 cylinder engine' lists...but the FE3 was literally built as a small truck engine, designed to be planted 'normally' for a RWD car...the FS was designed for the opposite purpose...obviously Mazda still put the FE3 in some FWD's over time, but it used a radically different front end...all of which would have to be researched and handled properly in order to work...

I'm speaking in terms of 3rd gen proteges, though...Tweety may have many more options in that department than 3rd gens do...

Last edited:
Okay. Thanks a bunch man. You learn something new everyday ;) so I guess KL it will be for me then! If i get my summer internship im hoping for, ill save up and keep a slush fund in case something goes wrong with the FS. but enough if my nonsense. I should leave tweets thread alone with this ;)

If anything happens there's a bp in a junkyard for $400 ill use for the summer if the rods are intact ill switch over mine into the bp.

Right now we have no clue what is going on. Major miss on start up that goes away which made it look like the pulley was wobbling. And multiple misfires under boost with wide band going from 11s to 13. Not sure if its a fuel or spark issue. A part of me thinks its the fuel pump, I'm going to test the coil as soon as I have time since everything else is new ignition wise

Maybe when you almost flipped, something got knocked out of tune? Perhaps the pump sucked up some crap when the car was tilted? Im not sure if thats possible or if you were as tilted as im thinking, in which case just ignore me!

It's possible, I haven't had time to screw with it. Trying to talk the fiance into getting a Mazda 6 for a daily, I kinda fell in love with my moms rental.

I'm also trying to get some eBay coil sleeves to see if I can use them to lower it a bit

Well finally made it to the track last nigh for some base runs. Heatsoak is horrible, I literally got burned from touching the cold pipe after a few runs, also found out my bov was leaking pretty bad

Anyway best run was with 18psi with bov hooked up ran a 10.3. Of cours my brother laughs at me for it cause he had slicks and was launching at 10psi with a way bigger turbo and no heat soak and ran a 8.1

I didn't hook the bpv up till the end of the night and couldn't get it dialed In, first run was 24-25 psi and it didn't like it very much last run was on 8 psi and I ran a 10.5 so there was a huge difference there

Keep in mind these were 1/8 mile not 1/4. And I can't launch it the best, a better driver and having no issues I could see high 9s maybe mid 9s if it actually hooked up

My phone won't load the video but im pretty sure that's it, he had a video on his Craigslist ad. And I think his you tube is perfect balance.

It needs an fmic that will be going with the t28 at some point, but I need a daily and pay for the wedding first, and also replace the windshield now. Got pissed off earlier and threw my phone it bounced off the pavement and hit the windshield. Not sure how that happened but apparently iPhone 4S is stronger than pavement and a windshield. It pissed me off more because I hate this phone and I'm not allowed to buy a new one till I break it

Pictures!

6259E059-A63B-4E3A-8F06-2EA4B4930DE1-920-000000E900C744F1_zpsb7505ef6.jpg

I love the white wheels, and no I'm not driving around with 2 different sets of wheels I put them on to run last night for better traction

16D83CE5-D8B3-4445-87C6-927FCDB2D97E-920-000000E904E517D9_zps73def54f.jpg

Turbo golf with bolt ons that got its ass whipped by the 323, I think by a little over a second
AF0836E7-37D6-4342-9484-7A5DC8E31D33-920-000000E90A26901C_zps6ea4ad90.jpg

And after comparing trap speeds and 60ft my brother admitted that if I could launch it as we'll as he did his Honda I would really close to him in the 1/8 if not beat him

Thats like a pal of mine who threw his phone at a wall and it didnt break yet when he drops it on the ground, it basically explodes. Sucks about that though- im lucky and unlucky enough that I don't have to get mine safety checked yearly.

I cant wait for more updates.

Back