2018 Aussie Mazda CX-5

According to Mazda the CD only activates under light loads and at cruise. I haven’t seen any real numbers or parameters of the system.

In the Autogefhl YT video, Thomas made the remark that he didn’t notice anything that would suggest the CD had activated. There was no loss of performance either.

I would bet that a lot of the Honda VCM problems can be related to poor maintenance by the owner. These systems need regular oil changes with quality synthetic oils as specified by Mazda. So many run their oil way too long then blame the manufacturer when the engine has problems.

Do you know anyone who's bought one and how it's going (uhm)

Way to go!

Helps if you use the forum’s ignore feature as well.

Now I cant get Ms Hansens appalling twangy voice out of my head. (spin)(boom07)

I was not trying to bash the '18 - I really wanted one as i believe they probably fixed a lot of things that may not have been discovered yet in the '17 or things that have are prone to fail, that many haven't seen yet.

Only driven the 2017 for one day and i found the HUD excellent. Its standard on the sport model.

The COD has been available in Europe for some time now with no complaints.

The HUD is one of the best new features on the CX5. No more glancing down to check the speed.

I was not trying to bash the '18 - I really wanted one as i believe they probably fixed a lot of things that may not have been discovered yet in the '17 or things that have are prone to fail, that many haven't seen yet.

After almost 1 year of being on the road, most issues should have come become evident by now.

How many miles in a year 40K perhaps, not a lot is it. So hardly tested even to the UK warranty mileage of 60K?

How many miles in a year 40K perhaps, not a lot is it. So hardly tested even to the UK warranty mileage of 60K?

Yes but in 40K some issues would become evident if any.

I remember reading about piston slap problems in GM LS1 V8's that hadn't done that may kms back late 1990's / early 2000s.

After almost 1 year of being on the road, most issues should have come become evident by now.

Right, and so parts enhancements would likely be incorporated into the '18 model to fix defects found in the '17.

I had a first model year Jeep grand cherokee and my wiper assembly broke after a few years - snow and ice build up caused the underlying plastic scaffolding mechanism that supported the cams and connecting rods to break. The new part was significantly beefed up where mine had broken.

The '17 in the USA just got on the road in April so i imagine there are some parts that may not be visible, but have been enhanced and put into the '18 model. I was going to avoid the '17 model for this reason, but the end of year pricing offered me a deal i couldn't refuse.

But I expect there will be some parts that fail after 2 years that will be enhanced for when the 2019 model comes out, that no one can foresee today.

Right, and so parts enhancements would likely be incorporated into the '18 model to fix defects found in the '17.

I had a first model year Jeep grand cherokee and my wiper assembly broke after a few years - snow and ice build up caused the underlying plastic scaffolding mechanism that supported the cams and connecting rods to break. The new part was significantly beefed up where mine had broken.

The '17 in the USA just got on the road in April so i imagine there are some parts that may not be visible, but have been enhanced and put into the '18 model. I was going to avoid the '17 model for this reason, but the end of year pricing offered me a deal i couldn't refuse.

But I expect there will be some parts that fail after 2 years that will be enhanced for when the 2019 model comes out, that no one can foresee today.

The 2017 in essence is basically the same as the 2012-2016 (Gen 1) save for a few added tech and noise insulation. The engine is identical so is the suspension and gearbox.

So if the later Gen 1 has been going fine, it should be safe to say the 2017 should be fine too.

But as you said, it is hard to foresee.

I also agree that the 2018 might have some better/reinforced/improved components. One is from reading other threads, the replacement of the camera module for SCBS/SBS

Also if you are happy with getting the 2017 then that is all that matters :D Nothing anyone says really matters.

Personally, I am looking to the 2018 :)

Last edited:
The 2017 in essence is basically the same as the 2012-2016 (Gen 1) save for a few added tech and noise insulation. The engine is identical so is the suspension and gearbox.

So if the later Gen 1 has been going fine, it should be safe to say the 2017 should be fine too.

I also agree that the 2018 might have some better/reinforced/improved components. One is from reading other threads, the replacement of the camera module for SCBS/SBS

Also if you are happy with getting the 2017 then that is all that matters :D Nothing anyone says really matters.

It is not the same suspension. The 17 has hydraulic bushings on suspension arm, softer bump and body roll compliance, and direct rigid mount of the steering rack.

I don't think the cars (pre '17 and '17 on) are the same or close at all. Even Mazda touts thousands of new parts. Lots of small changes, and to me, it is a new model.

I think the '18 will silently fix many things that most users have not yet run into on the '17 and the '19 will fix even more discovered defects.

Personally I wanted to hold out for an '18 - but I wanted to maximize the trade value of the vehicle i had, and not put any money into it. So i opted to take my chances on a first model year. I have a 3 year warranty, and if thinks are wrong, i can always trade on a '19 or '20 in the future.

I am loving my '17 so far. No regrets.

It is not the same suspension. The 17 has hydraulic bushings on suspension arm, softer bump and body roll compliance, and direct rigid mount of the steering rack.
Ok my bad but the general layout/essence is still the same as the model itself was only 5 years old and that's too soon for an all new model

Last edited:
I don't think the cars (pre '17 and '17 on) are the same or close at all. Even Mazda touts thousands of new parts. Lots of small changes, and to me, it is a new model.

I think the '18 will silently fix many things that most users have not yet run into on the '17 and the '19 will fix even more discovered defects.

Personally I wanted to hold out for an '18 - but I wanted to maximize the trade value of the vehicle i had, and not put any money into it. So i opted to take my chances on a first model I have a 3 year warranty, and if thinks are wrong, i can always trade on a '19 or '20 in the future.

I am loving my '17 so far. No regrets.
It's not an all new model as the underpinnings are the same as well as the engine. More like a half model update. But yes the changes are numerous enough.

19 and 20 will have all new SkyActiv X engine first generation so I will wait a bit if I need to update then.

If you enjoy it then that's all that matters. Congratulations :)

The suspension was updated for my 2015 car compared to the 2013, along with the AWD system being enhanced for the 2015 compared to the 2013.

The suspension was updated for my 2015 car compared to the 2013, along with the AWD system being enhanced for the 2015 compared to the 2013.

Fair enough. I stand corrected

The base set up is the same except for certain updates in 2015 etc

Last edited:
I remember reading that Mazda slightly redesigned the edge of the pistons starting with the 2017 2.5 engines. Also they have newer rings.

I read that too but again generally still the same.

Ok so - my earlier comment is not entirely correct. Yes there are differences from Gen 1 but not enough for Gen 2 to be an all new model

I read that too but again generally still the same.

Ok so - my earlier comment is not entirely correct. Yes there are differences from Gen 1 but not enough for Gen 2 to be an all new model

That is correct. It’s all part of CQI. Constant Quality Improvement.

Back