2018 Aussie Mazda CX-5

Maybe Mazda have found a way to counter act these issues. Otherwise if they know it's a problem, why implement it (uhm)
If Mazda has found a way nobody else could to resolve common issues from cylinder deactivation, it will say it. Instead Mazda only mentioned the vibration issue using a fulcrum inside the SkyActiv-Drive transmission to help seamless transition between two- and four-cylinder operation. The key point still is cylinder deactivation is not effective enough to save 2 MPG like someone else estimated before, but keeps the same 26 MPG combined on EPA rating for AWD CX-5. This further proves the cylinder deactivation is not effective to save fuel, but carries ill side-effects in the long run.

If Mazda has found a way nobody else could to resolve common issues from cylinder deactivation, it will say it. Instead Mazda only mentioned the vibration issue using a fulcrum inside the SkyActiv-Drive transmission to help seamless transition between two- and four-cylinder operation. The key point still is cylinder deactivation is not effective enough to save 2 MPG like someone else estimated before, but keeps the same 26 MPG combined on EPA rating for AWD CX-5. This further proves the cylinder deactivation is not effective to save fuel, but carries ill side-effects in the long run.
I will wait and see. As I said if they know it has issues then why did they introduce it (uhm)

They must know something that we don't. Also any fuel efficiency gain is a good thing no matter how small

Also Holden (GM) here had this technology in the late 2000s/early 2010s here and there wasn't any fuss about it unlike what it was in the 1980s.

Last edited:
I test drove the USA '18 CX-5 but there was nothing indicating CD was working or could be turned off. Not being able to turn it off - nothing in the manual, i decided it wasn't worth it. The sales deals on the '17 swayed me. I only gave up the lighted/auto window switches.

For the fuel savings the CD was not a compelling reason to go with the '18. At least not for me.

I test drove the USA '18 CX-5 but there was nothing indicating CD was working or could be turned off. Not being able to turn it off - nothing in the manual, i decided it wasn't worth it. The sales deals on the '17 swayed me. I only gave up the lighted/auto window switches.

For the fuel savings the CD was not a compelling reason to go with the '18. At least not for me.

CD is not indicated when used on the dash and of course they won't allow one to disable it. Defeats the purpose of having it.

Besides sooner or later, the Mazda 3 will come with cylinder deactivation joining the CX-5 & 6 and therefore no one will have a choice of not having it.

Might as well accept cylinder deactivation.

Each to their own.

Last edited:
I will wait and see. As I said if they know it has issues then why did they introduce it (uhm)

They must know something that we don't. Also any fuel efficiency gain is a good thing no matter how small

Also Holden (GM) here had this technology in the late 2000s/early 2010s here and there wasn't any fuss about it unlike what it was in the 1980s.

I agree.

Some will find every reason, simply because....they dont like it (que Pauline H). And since they dont, you shouldnt either.

Last edited:

You definitely made a right decision by going for a 2017 CX-5 with better price and not to worry about the unknown of cylinder deactivation only for slight or no MPG gains.

Yeah cylinder deactivation is built in to the engine operation like turbo charger. Drivers cant intervene it and for Honda V6 VCM cylinder deactivation many owners use VCMuzzler or KTuner to disable it.

Honda has gone through class action lawsuit with its VCM problems found on 2008~2013 V6s due to spark plug fouling and oil consumption, in addition to early engine mount and position ring failures caused by engine misfiring. Honda claimed the newer generation of V6 VCM has many updates including dumped tri-mode cylinder deactivation with 6-4-3 to dual-mode 6-3 cylinders; altered VCM software to turn the VCM on/off more frequently reducing heat/cool cycles of piston temperature which should prevent oil consumption; upgraded piston rings and engine mounts helping to prevent engine oil consumption and vibration.

Mazda might have done a better job than Honda this time for cylinder deactivation, but consider thiss the first for an I4 so why risk it for very minimum MPG gain?

Last edited:
Because they can only do so much with the current engine until the SkyActiv X arrives. Hence they have added cylinder deactivation

I agree.

Some will find every reason, simply because....they dont like it (que Pauline H). And since they dont, you shouldnt either.

(iagree)

Not going to let negative comments ruin my looking forward to the updated CX-5 that I will be getting :D

Besides this whole anti cylinder deactivation discussion is basically turning into (deadhorse. Getting very tiring.

Last edited:

Sounds like you didnt even notice it activating?

(iagree)

Not going to let negative comments ruin my looking forward to the updated CX-5 that I will be getting :D

Way to go!

Helps if you use the forums ignore feature as well.

Now I cant get Ms Hansens appalling twangy voice out of my head. (spin)(boom07)

Sounds like you didnt even notice it activating?
Its a long term reliability issue, not if you notice it or not. For 1 MPG gain on CX-5 FWD or no gain on an AWD, its not worth the risk.

2016 MY. Akera.

I am shaking my head but it hasnt gone away yet. Neither of them....

(gah) (wink)

If memory serves, the 2.2L should get power upgrade to 140kw

Would you consider upgrading to 2018 (uhm)

(gah) (wink)

If memory serves, the 2.2L should get power upgrade to 140kw

Would you consider upgrading to 2018 (uhm)

I saw that the 2.2 gets a bit of a power boost.

But no, I am very happy with mine and plan to keep it for quite a few years now that I retired.

But if they made a software update available to give me the extra hp I wouldnt say no! Might be tempted to get a tune from the Versatune boys after its out of warranty.

According to Mazda the CD only activates under light loads and at cruise. I haven’t seen any real numbers or parameters of the system.

In the Autogefhl YT video, Thomas made the remark that he didn’t notice anything that would suggest the CD had activated. There was no loss of performance either.

I would bet that a lot of the Honda VCM problems can be related to poor maintenance by the owner. These systems need regular oil changes with quality synthetic oils as specified by Mazda. So many run their oil way too long then blame the manufacturer when the engine has problems.

I saw that the 2.2 gets a bit of a power boost.

But no, I am very happy with mine and plan to keep it for quite a few years now that I retired.

And that's all that matters :D

But if they made a software update available to give me the extra hp I wouldnt say no! Might be tempted to get a tune from the Versatune boys after its out of warranty.

Haven't seen any details if the power upgrade was due to mechanical changes or just software update. If it is software update, maybe your Mazda service centre could do it for you!

Back