2017 CX5 Changes?

For what it's worth, a tight-lipped Mazda rep hinted to me that major changes will be with the 2018 model.

Was talking to Mazda customer service about glove box light and compass on rear-view mirror. it slipped from her mouth (maybe) when she said "I apologize Mr. xxxx, but this feature will only be standard in 2017 CX-5 and beyond".

I know not a biggie, but crumbs here, crumbs there.

Also - personally would like to see more interior options (in terms of colors/trims), rear reclining seats, rear USB and 12V power ports and at least 1 110V port, inside. This along with paddle-shifters, memory seats, passenger side power seat, heads-up display.

Japanese websites seem to indicate more advanced safety features in terms of smart brake and radar cruise. Also car to self correct in case of lane departure. I however, strongly doubt it.

Here's some new info about the 2016.5 CX-5s. Looks like all they did was update the packaging (backup camera is now standard on sport w/ automatic).

http://blog.caranddriver.com/half-t...-cx-5-gets-more-standard-content-new-pricing/

Just read this as well on Motortrend. I'm actually relieved. I just bought mine in October and was hoping there wasn't going to be any big changes on next release. However, so there actually won't be a 2017 till the end of 2016 I'm guessing. This 2016.5 will sell throughout 2016 I'm guessing.

IMO... I don't see this as Mazda sitting on it's laurels. Just a small mid-year change before the '17s come out in the spring. I don't have a link on hand but remember article about Mazda being more aggressive with tweaks within a model year rather than waiting for a new model year release.

The '17 may be just as minor but we'll see in the spring.

IMO... I don't see this as Mazda sitting on it's laurels. Just a small mid-year change before the '17s come out in the spring. I don't have a link on hand but remember article about Mazda being more aggressive with tweaks within a model year rather than waiting for a new model year release.

The '17 may be just as minor but we'll see in the spring.

This 2016.5 should be here in the US next month, so do not expect anything different in the spring... The 2017's should be here around August...

2016.5 CX-5 changes:
All have a $80 increase to the destination charge

Sport
Automatic includes a backup camera and 7" touch-screen
Auto Sport increases to $24,495
AWD Sport increases to $25,795

Touring
Nav is now standard
Heated front seats now standard
FWD Touring increases to $26,115
AWD Touring increases to $27,415
Touring Tech pkg drops to $1275 (still requires Bose/moonroof Pkg $1130)

GT
Nav is now standard
FWD GT increases to $29,470
AWD GT increases to $30,770
GT Tech pkg drops to $1155

2016.5 CX-5 changes:
With crashing oil prices this is the least I'd expect... May be this is one way to recoup some cost without been noticed by potential car buyers. ;)

This 2016.5 should be here in the US next month, so do not expect anything different in the spring... The 2017's should be here around August...

Mazda's I have owned over the years.
80' Mazda GLC SPORT MT - sold
81' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
81' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
82' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
82' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
85' Mazda 626 LX MT - sold
87' Mazda 626 GT Turbo MT - sold
85' Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE MT- sold
87' Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2 MT - sold
91' Mazda Protege LX MT - sold
92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
93' Mazda MX-3 GS-V6 Special Edition MT - sold
00' Mazda 626 LX-V6 MT - sold
02' Mazda Protege5 MT - sold
06' Mazda 5 Touring AT - sold
13' Mazda CX-5 Touring AT - sold
14' Mazda 3i Grand Touring MT - sold
15' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - current

Which is/was your favorite?

Mazda's I have owned over the years.
80' Mazda GLC SPORT MT - sold
81' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
81' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
82' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
82' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
85' Mazda 626 LX MT - sold
87' Mazda 626 GT Turbo MT - sold
85' Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE MT- sold
87' Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2 MT - sold
91' Mazda Protege LX MT - sold
93' Mazda MX-3 GS-V6 Special Edition MT - sold
00' Mazda 626 LX-V6 MT - sold
02' Mazda Protege5 MT - sold
06' Mazda 5 Touring AT - sold
13' Mazda CX-5 Touring AT - sold
14' Mazda 3i Grand Touring MT - sold
15' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - current

Which is/was your favorite?
Really loving my CX-5... But out of the Mazda's, I would have to say the all time favorite car was the 87 RX-7 Turbo II. No ABS, No power steering, no traction control, all driver.

2016.5 CX-5 changes:

Sport
Automatic includes a backup camera and 7" touch-screen
Auto Sport increases to $24,495
AWD Sport increases to $25,795

I cannot understand why Mazda didn't offer an OEM audio-BU camera upgrade for the MT Sports, even if dealer-installed at significant cost. Regardless of how I feel otherwise about my CX-5, this will always be a sore-spot with me. That said, at least they still do offer the MT-6.

I cannot understand why Mazda didn't offer an OEM audio-BU camera upgrade for the MT Sports, even if dealer-installed at significant cost. Regardless of how I feel otherwise about my CX-5, this will always be a sore-spot with me. That said, at least they still do offer the MT-6.

The only thing I can think of, is maybe the commander knob for the infotainment screen probably wouldn't fit because of the manual trans shifter?

Last edited:
The only thing I can thing of, is maybe the commander knob for the infotainment screen probably wouldn't fit because of the manual trans shifter.

That could be. I think at some point I will get an aftermarket solution that satisfies me.

Really loving my CX-5... But out of the Mazda's, I would have to say the all time favorite car was the 87 RX-7 Turbo II. No ABS, No power steering, no traction control, all driver.

That was an outstanding car then the FD came and I started to salivate.

Drop the new CX9's turbo motor in, and the CX5 would be a beast.

i keep putting off buying a new car because we're slowing inching towards the next version of the CX-5.

Hoping its the 2017 and not 2018 model that will be the big one. Mazda has the engine now. they know what they have to do.

So not even offering 40 20 40 rear seats or at least premium cloth for MT cx 5's?? thats all i really want to buy one. At this points it's got to cost more to make cheap cloth seats and a different rear seat just for the MT sport....

i keep putting off buying a new car because we're slowing inching towards the next version of the CX-5.

Hoping its the 2017 and not 2018 model that will be the big one. Mazda has the engine now. they know what they have to do.

Don't wait, the 2016 is really great. Go buy one now....end of month and end of year...its the perfect storm for a great deal.
With the 2016.5 coming out soon, you probably wont see any major changes until at least 2017 or 2018. And when that time rolls around, you'll be waiting again for 2019. You gotta jump in at some point.

So not even offering 40 20 40 rear seats or at least premium cloth for MT cx 5's?? thats all i really want to buy one. At this points it's got to cost more to make cheap cloth seats and a different rear seat just for the MT sport....

I'm wondering if the Touring will move to leather, when heated seats are standard on 2016.5. Don't see many cars with heated cloth.

I'm wondering if the Touring will move to leather, when heated seats are standard on 2016.5. Don't see many cars with heated cloth.

I am wondering the same thing... that would then be in line with all of the other Mazda's... Sport/Cloth, Touring/Leatherette, Grand Touring/Leather.

Back