2017 CX-5: Driven!!

Maybe but officially and legally they are 2016 not 2016.5. Their title says model year 2016.

The title on my 2001 WS.6 said ''Firebird''.
The NFA paperwork on my suppressors calls them "firearms".

"Official and legal" should never be confused for "Honest and accurate"

Actually, and I don't mean to argue with you, but for my CX-5, the title is not only official and legal but it gives also a pretty accurate description of what my car included when I took delivery of it.
I decoded the VIN using this tool https://www.vindecoderz.com/ and was surprised that lock nuts, all weather mats and rear bumper guard, which were the 3 options installed at the factory in addition to the GT + Tech package, were mentioned.

Last edited:
In the UK we refer to the year the car was made, the US way is very confusing to me. So 2015, 2016, no 2016.5.
I'm not aware of any late additions to our line up, run out models just get bigger discounts to move old stock. (sssh)

Ah, so like how my 2014 was built in January 2013 (figured it probably started in 2012, I don't know how long these things take to build), and bought in April 2013? Yeah it gets a bit confusing at times. I guess their 2017s actually line up with 2017 though :)

In the UK we refer to the year the car was made, the US way is very confusing to me. So 2015, 2016, no 2016.5.
I'm not aware of any late additions to our line up, run out models just get bigger discounts to move old stock. (sssh)

That seems more confusing. If you bought a newly redesigned CX-5 that had been built in December 2016, you'd call it a 2016? how do you distinguish been redesigns?

With the mazda I'm not sure, maybe call them mk1, and mk2.

With the xtrails, its easier T30,T31,T32.
The information is always there on the net, sites such as honest john, or auto trader detail changes etc.

We also have a legal document provided with each car giving details, vin, year of registration, etc.
One tip for buying used is to check the date label on the seat belts, then there is always a vin checker forum.

Last edited:
Ah, so like how my 2014 was built in January 2013 (figured it probably started in 2012, I don't know how long these things take to build), and bought in April 2013? Yeah it gets a bit confusing at times. I guess their 2017s actually line up with 2017 though :)

The chassis was probably from 2012 then they just specced it for 2014 when they assembled it lol

That's what I kinda figured.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Well, I was being a bit facetious, I don't really know if that's how they do it. It seems like the move from a sheet of steel to a panel to a welded chassis is short but really only seems practical to store unwelded panels.

Last edited:
I would be very surprised if Mazda Japan had any components stocked up beyond about a week's supply. While it was Toyota that developed the Kaizen approach to manufacturing, they are not the only ones to apply those principles. Including "just in time".

I was in Japan at Tokai City near Nagoya in November 15 and had the good fortune (friends father works thre) to get a tour of the Aichi steel foundry and rolling mill. Those rolls of steel early in the Mazda video are the same as what the Aichi steel rolling mill produces.

Amazing to see 10m long 1.5m wide and 300-400mm thick steel ingots (made from Australian iron ore smelted using Australian coking coal) go in one end, get superheated almost white hot, and come out the other end the same width but now in those rolls of sheet steel with one ingot making 3km of sheet. Rolls are then loaded straight on trucks while still hot, and taken to one of the Toyota plants. (One major plant we went past just builds Landcruisers, nothing else!)

Aichi steel, in a nice bit of vertigal integration, is a part of the Toyota conglomerate.

About a month after we were there, the rolling mill had a major fire or breakdown, and was shut down for several weeks. 4 days after production at the rolling mill stopped, the Toyota plant at Toyoda had to curtail prodiction because they ran out of sheet steel.

No doubt Mazda operates in a similar fashion.

Last edited:
Back