2017 CX-5: Driven!!

THE 2016 Model was the mid-cycle refresh... Grill, sound deadening, electric brake, infotainment.

The 2016.5 was just a shuffling of features to use up the most parts in Mazda's parts bins for the discontinued model.
Exactly!

Quite a big feature on the new Cx5 in todays newspaper motoring section.

Most of the news in the article from the motoring editor has been reported already - features etc.

"Refinement" was a clear objective according to Mazda Australia. As was lifting the vehicle to the next level, clearly targetting Tiguan and BMW now. The editor who had driven several variants said the improvements do put it into that ball park.

Mazda say that attention was given to further improving driveability of the 2.5 and 2.2D engines, rather than hp.

And, they are claiming that "real world fuel economy" has been improved in the order of 5%.

Not one of us thinks we bought a different model. It was a "mid cycle refresh" not a true "new car". We know that. The grill was changed, minor suspension and sound deadening was added, the electronic parking brake and backup camera were made standard equipment.

Just my personal opinion together with facts and this will be my last post on the subject.

Not only "2016.5" is a cheesy concept for a car (CX-5 2016 is not a software) but the "refresh" you're referring to is only a repackaging of some previous options which became standard and a higher base price, nothing else. Same grille, same suspension, same sound deadening etc ...........
Like I wrote before, neither KBB nor NADA reference a 2016.5 model, so people should do the same.

Last edited:
Actually, Matty, I just put that guy on my ignore list as well. Much nicer when you can ignore the stupid people. I recommend it.

Also, I think most likely, the car with the added sound material will be just as quick as the prior version. What UBO (I think it was him) called for a while ago is what Mazda did but in a way that required much more work to reduce the hit to just 120 lbs and maintain the ride.

Thanks Dougal and Moonlighter... I've just figured out how to do so!

Just my personal opinion together with facts and this will be my last post on the subject.

Not only "2016.5" is a cheesy concept for a car (CX-5 2016 is not a software) but the "refresh" you're referring to is only a repackaging of some previous options which became standard and a higher base price, nothing else. Same grille, same suspension, same sound deadening etc ...........
Like I wrote before, neither KBB nor NADA reference a 2016.5 model, so people should do the same.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/half-time-update-2016-5-mazda-cx-5-gets-more-standard-content

Car & Driver calls it the .5. My dealer told me anytime I call for service, make it a point to let them know it's the .5. The real question is... why does it bother you so? Geez...Get over it and humor your fellow Mazda owners. 😆

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Careful some folk on here don't like other peoples views that conflict with their love affair. :D

In addition, some folks on here don't like other people's expressing views that conflict with their hate affairs with Mazda and the CX-5.
Careful some folk on here don't like other peoples views that conflict with their love affair. :D

And then there's some of us that just don't give a rats ass. I don't care if you call your car "The 2016 and one half Mazda Hippity hop hop go go wagon!"
😀

I own a 16.5 only changes:
Std backup camera for all
Touring gets heated seats and navigation
Navigation included​in GT plus one or two small stuff i might be missing.

Other than that no changes. If​ mazda had done any improvements folks are imagining show me a press release or major publication talking about it.

Heck, MAZDA refers to it as a 16.5!

Heck, MAZDA refers to it as a 16.5!

Yes! 2016.5 is a very rare car! It is the only way to get a GEN 1 Touring with HEATED SEATS.

(sssh)

Mazda call it a 2016.5 on official documents, they call it a 2016.5 on the Internet, and they call it a 2016.5 on the window sticker...

We shall see who has the last laugh at the Barrett Jackson Auction in 2041!

Last edited:
Jesus, are we still talking about this??? Live and let live. Let's move on.
hehehehe
;)

I own a 16.5 only changes:
Std backup camera for all
Touring gets heated seats and navigation
Navigation included​in GT plus one or two small stuff i might be missing.

Other than that no changes. If​ mazda had done any improvements folks are imagining show me a press release or major publication talking about it.

I guess some regions/countries may get different treatment. Mazda Canada's definition of "2016.5" includes the introduction of driver seat memory AND 6-way passenger seat, and they make a point in the brochure that these two features are NOT available in the 2016 model. In fact the the service manual (specifically) for 16.5 posted by someone on this forum has additional wiring schematic for passenger seat and driver seat memory control electronics. I suppose this is the only instance where a Mazda mechanic needs to know whether he's dealing with a 16 vs 16.5

In the UK we refer to the year the car was made, the US way is very confusing to me. So 2015, 2016, no 2016.5.
I'm not aware of any late additions to our line up, run out models just get bigger discounts to move old stock. (sssh)

You mean the Mazda way. LOL The rest of the car companies bring out new models in December or January for the new year. And no .5s.

Back