2017 auto climate recirculate air/AC

Of course anyone can switch back and forth easily. I use the manual function at present but when the weather really warms up or I’m on a long trip I’ll set the system to auto.

I've leave mine in auto, only time I change to manual is when I go through a specific tunnel that has lots of pollution

There was a thread here where the owner said it wasn't cooling/heating quickly enough. I advised them to turnoff eco mode and fixed the problem.

Just reading through some of these comments it seems that the climate control isnt given the credit it deserves. You might be able to add a conventional heater in production for a hundred bucks but a climate control costs thousands. Maybe a read would help.

Attachments

• AC sysytem.pdf
    919.8 KB · Views: 133
Just reading through some of these comments it seems that the climate control isn’t given the credit it deserves. You might be able to add a conventional heater in production for a hundred bucks but a climate control costs thousands. Maybe a read would help.

(iagree) it's a pretty good system

Just reading through some of these comments it seems that the climate control isn’t given the credit it deserves. You might be able to add a conventional heater in production for a hundred bucks but a climate control costs thousands. Maybe a read would help.

Thanks as always for the pdf.

I think auto climate control is wonderful once the car is at the desired cabin temperature. My problem with it is that it is so aggressive at startup. When it's cold, the fan immediately cranks up to full, blasting cold air on the driver, whether the windshield is fogged or not. So in that circumstance, all of the sensors and logic are not helpful. Mazda needs to tone down the initial startup operation, IMHO. I never turn it on until the blue "cold engine" light goes out, in the winter.

In the summer... "MAX AC" is fine from the getgo.

I'm still curious how much drag the compressor puts on the engine when it's not under load.

Dropping the temperature slightly might negate the full blasting of air during winter (scratch)

Thanks as always for the pdf.

I think auto climate control is wonderful once the car is at the desired cabin temperature. My problem with it is that it is so aggressive at startup. When it's cold, the fan immediately cranks up to full, blasting cold air on the driver, whether the windshield is fogged or not. So in that circumstance, all of the sensors and logic are not helpful. Mazda needs to tone down the initial startup operation, IMHO. I never turn it on until the blue "cold engine" light goes out, in the winter.

In the summer... "MAX AC" is fine from the getgo.

I'm still curious how much drag the compressor puts on the engine when it's not under load.
+1

I use manual adjustment all the time. And in manual mode with AC on, the compressor will be disengaged automatically whenever it's not needed - save gas and wear-and-tear on AC compressor.

+1

I use manual adjustment all the time. And in manual mode with AC on, the compressor will be disengaged automatically whenever it's not needed - save gas and wear-and-tear on AC compressor.

In manual mode, if the AC is on, then it's on, isn't it? If it's in manual mode, how would it know it's "not needed"?

But how do you make that happen? On mine, when I hit the AC button, auto engages.

In manual mode, if the AC is on, then it's on, isn't it? If it's in manual mode, how would it know it's "not needed"?

But how do you make that happen? On mine, when I hit the AC button, auto engages.
I've verified in colder temperature that if the cabin temperature reaches the preset temperature with AC on, the compressor would automatically disengage and engage again when cabin temperature rises. In Auto mode the compressor seems to running all the time. Of course at current 100F the AC compressor would work very hard non-stop! :)

Ensure auto button is disengaged before hand so that when later you hit AC, in theory it should still remain in manual mode.

I’m confused by some of these comments. If the climate control is set to auto in winter, it doesn’t start at full blast, it starts at virtually zero then after a few minutes starts to increase gradually. Its such a shame that some of you override it because its a very capable automatic system with a lot of sensors to do it all for you. You need to set the temp at something comfortable mid range. I would turn it off first as it can very occasionally “hang” if its been fiddled with. Turn it back on with the auto button and leave it. It knows that in winter, if it blasts you with cold air it will lower the temp so it will hold back until it knows the engine temp allows it to start feeding warm in. After a while it will speed up and then eventually, when it has stabilised the temp it will slow down. You can’t beat it by intervening - it has far more info and sensors available to it than you do. If you think you can, you are wrong but if your mind is made up then there will be no convincing you. On those late season years where it starts cold and warms up in the day, it will start by warming you then transition to cooling you as the day warms up. You may want to adjust it by one or two degrees but that should be all. Its at least a $1500 addition to the build price and you might as well have an on off switch.

I've verified in colder temperature that if the cabin temperature reaches the preset temperature with AC on, the compressor would automatically disengage and engage again when cabin temperature rises. In Auto mode the compressor seems to running all the time. Of course at current 100F the AC compressor would work very hard non-stop! :)

Still wondering how you get the AC on without engaging auto. Or how you can specify a temp when not on auto.
Is this a 16 vs 17 difference?

I’m confused by some of these comments. If the climate control is set to auto in winter, it doesn’t start at full blast, it starts at virtually zero then after a few minutes starts to increase gradually. Its such a shame that some of you override it because its a very capable automatic system with a lot of sensors to do it all for you. You need to set the temp at something comfortable mid range. I would turn it off first as it can very occasionally “hang” if its been fiddled with. Turn it back on with the auto button and leave it. It knows that in winter, if it blasts you with cold air it will lower the temp so it will hold back until it knows the engine temp allows it to start feeding warm in. After a while it will speed up and then eventually, when it has stabilised the temp it will slow down. You can’t beat it by intervening - it has far more info and sensors available to it than you do. If you think you can, you are wrong but if your mind is made up then there will be no convincing you. On those late season years where it starts cold and warms up in the day, it will start by warming you then transition to cooling you as the day warms up. You may want to adjust it by one or two degrees but that should be all. Its at least a $1500 addition to the build price and you might as well have an on off switch.

That's the way it's SUPPOSED to work, but not how it works in my car. If it did, I would happily use it at all times!

It "acts" like it "thinks" that it can attain the target temp by blowing real hard, regardless of temp.

Perhaps mine is malfunctioning. It doesn't seem like they would design something with such a basic flaw. But I've read others report that their's behave similarly.

Perhaps it's one of those regional differences?

The way it is now, I'd rather have manual and $1500 off my purchase price. :)

Still wondering how you get the AC on without engaging auto. Or how you can specify a temp when not on auto.
Is this a 16 vs 17 difference?
In manual mode if we adjust system temperature a bit higher than cabin temperature with AC on, the AC compressor would disengage. I believe if we set system temperature to the lowest at 60F, the system would leave the compressor on despite cabin temperature.

In Auto mode, I believe the AC compressor should cylicking depending on system temperature setting, but it definitely has some other parameters involved and this's not always happening. I hate the fan speed "sometimes" out of control at full blast during initial start-up, especially if the defrost is on in freezing temperature. I understand our Automatic Climate Control system has complicate logic with many sensors, but it's its unpredictable nature makes me giving it up and use the manual mode only.

It's very likely all of those different behavior is due to regional differences. At least we know Anchorman's AC system is different from ours. His has an "AC Eco" mode which is not available in our US CX-5!

⋯ The way it is now, I'd rather have manual and $1500 off my purchase price. :)
The Automatic Climate Control System actually should cost a lot more than $1,500. I was lucky noticed right before my new-car warranty ran out that the fan speed strength bar on LCD display panel would fade out when I adjust the fan speed. The part alone is ~$1000!

Back