Headlights not turning-on on 'Auto' (2019 CX-5)

I am in Toronto and I have a Mazda CX5 2019 GT, and since the last couple of days I have noticed that the headlights do not turn on when the 'auto' mode is selected. My wipers are also on 'auto' mode and they are working fine. The headlights do switch on manually, but not in the auto mode. Any advise on the possible reason behind this or any suggestions to fix this please.

The 2 are independent of each other. The headlights use a sensor on the dash to detect ambient light. The wipers use a camera by the mirror to detect when they're needed. If it's pitch black out and your lights are not coming on in the Auto mode, you should get it checked. If you're out of warranty and don't want to spend the money, just use them as you are now.

The 2 are independent of each other. The headlights use a sensor on the dash to detect ambient light. The wipers use a camera by the mirror to detect when they're needed. If it's pitch black out and your lights are not coming on in the Auto mode, you should get it checked. If you're out of warranty and don't want to spend the money, just use them as you are now.
Thank you. I do have the extended warranty coverage, and keen to get back to rely on the 'auto' mode. This has actually happened very recently since we saw the first snow of the season here. Could that have anything to do with it?

This has actually happened very recently since we saw the first snow of the season here. Could that have anything to do with it?

Could easily have gotten crud or dirt covering the "Forward Sending Camera" area, on the windshield. If this mysteriously began soon after snow came down, it might well still be impairing the sensing. Worth cleaning that area of the windshield, then seeing if it corrects the condition.

The headlights use a sensor on the dash to detect ambient light.
According to my CX-5 owner's manual, the light and rain sensors are combined on the top of the windscreen behind the rear view mirror.

The so-called sunlight sensor on the dashboard is used to regulate the temperature in the car through the air conditioning.

Last edited:
Could easily have gotten crud or dirt covering the "Forward Sending Camera" area, on the windshield. If this mysteriously began soon after snow came down, it might well still be impairing the sensing. Worth cleaning that area of the windshield, then seeing if it corrects the condition.
Thanks. I was under the same impression, and i did clean it up quite sincerely, but still no luck. Kinda stuck with the issue. I know there is always a manual override, but unable to get past this. The windsheild sensors are working fine, wondering what could be the issue with the headlight here and why they are not operating in 'auto' mode

Did you try to change the sensitivity of the automatic headlights?

The automatic feature is controlled by the light stalk. It has to be in the forward position to be "on". It could be a problemwith the switch.

Latest posts

Back