2017 auto climate recirculate air/AC

Just my thought but the light tells me the system is activated. It doesn’t mean the ac compressor is running. Just like many cars have a eco mode for their ac. The light may be on but the compressor is cycling on and off.

True. I have noticed however that eco doesn't come on in mine which I am glad -> just means I get max (not full fan speed) air con performance all the time.

017 auto climate recirculate air/AC

The AC indicator only indicates that it is selected. How often it engages depends on the climatic conditions but it can be from virtually ticking over to almost constant.
Although its not availablev in our US CX-5, whats the difference between your A/C and A/C Eco selection when you push the A/C button?

Although it’s not availablev in our US CX-5, what’s the difference between your “A/C” and “A/C Eco” selection when you push the A/C button?

It’s just a low power mode that economises the use of the AC. It may however not keep the windscreen clear in extreme conditions like four wet passengers getting in the car on a wet day. In that case the screen clear button or full AC may need to be selected.

My understanding of "Auto" mode is that the blower "assists" in temperature control. If the current temperature is 29 degrees, and setting is 24 degrees, the "Auto" mode automatically increases the blower speed. Once it nears 24 degrees, it lowers the blower speed.

In my current experience in "Eco" mode, it kinda takes longer time to reach the temperature setting unlike the "Non Eco" or normal mode.

Although its not availablev in our US CX-5, whats the difference between your A/C and A/C Eco selection when you push the A/C button?
Its just a low power mode that economises the use of the AC. It may however not keep the windscreen clear in extreme conditions like four wet passengers getting in the car on a wet day. In that case the screen clear button or full AC may need to be selected.
My understanding for CX-5s normal A/C mode is the AC compressor is always running (only cutting off when the ambient temperature is below 32F to protect the system freezing up) but adjusting the air temperature with heated air from heater core and thiss the old fashioned way adjusting AC air temperature in American vehicles. On the other hand the A/C Eco mode has the capability of cycling the AC compressor on and off when the AC air temperature reached preset temperature hence saving the fuel, and thats why the Eco mode.

How do you mean? It will keep the car cool to a degree but it steps up automatically to full AC if the car is too hot. For the most part, mine sits in “ECO”.
There was a thread here where the owner said it wasn't cooling/heating quickly enough. I advised them to turnoff eco mode and fixed the problem.

My understanding for CX-5’s normal “A/C” mode is the AC compressor is always running (only cutting off when the ambient temperature is below 32F to protect the system freezing up) but adjusting the air temperature with heated air from heater core and this’s the old fashioned way adjusting AC air temperature in American vehicles. On the other hand the “A/C Eco” mode has the capability of cycling the AC compressor on and off when the AC air temperature reached preset temperature hence saving the fuel, and that’s why the “Eco” mode.
Not sure any cars have AC that doesn’t cycle. How do you regulate the pressure?

Not sure any cars have AC that doesn’t cycle. How do you regulate the pressure?

That’s my thinking as well. The eco mode buttons are a 90’s throwback imo. The cars I see now rely on interior temp sensors to tell the system what is needed. The compressor will run until the desired temp is reached then it will cycle off and on.

I was wondering the same thing about recir/outside air mode. Mine always stays in recirc mode when on auto. The manual says it's automatically selected.

I was wondering the same thing about recir/outside air mode. Mine always stays in recirc mode when on auto. The manual says it's automatically selected.

That should occur only when 'defrost' or 'floor plus defrost' are the options.

I kinda think it might be like ac on light in auto and just always on even if it isn’t actually on.

Depends on the sensors when it should change to outside mode

I kinda think it might be like ac on light in auto and just always on even if it isn’t actually on.

Got to hope so.
To control the temp by dumping cold all the time and moderating it with heat would be absurdly wasteful.

No, it will choose recirc normally just at first to either heat the car as quick as possible or cool it as quick as possible depending on the interior temperature. They sometimes “hang” a bit so it might be advisable to switch it off on the control panel and then press auto again.

If the display shows eco or AC, the system is on and the compressor will run.

Got to hope so.
To control the temp by dumping cold all the time and moderating it with heat would be absurdly wasteful.

When the incoming air hits the cooling radiator, it immediately condenses and excess water drips out of the drain. This way, even when the air is then heated, it is dehumidified which keeps the windows clear and reduces drowsiness. It might be wasteful but it is always on in auto.

When the incoming air hits the cooling radiator, it immediately condenses and excess water drips out of the drain. This way, even when the air is then heated, it is dehumidified which keeps the windows clear and reduces drowsiness. It might be wasteful but it is always on in auto.

If that is correct, I may NEVER use auto climate control again. If the windows fog or I get drowsy, I will deal with it. But running that compressor all the time is ridiculous. It may be the best way to implement the automatic system, but it is just one more reason to be dissatisfied with it and avoid it.

Those who are disappointed in their gas mileage might try keeping auto off, and see if that helps.

If that is correct, I may NEVER use auto climate control again. If the windows fog or I get drowsy, I will deal with it. But running that compressor all the time is ridiculous. It may be the best way to implement the automatic system, but it is just one more reason to be dissatisfied with it and avoid it.

Those who are disappointed in their gas mileage might try keeping auto off, and see if that helps.

It’s quite widely known that the AC increases fuel consumption but in moderate weather it sets back and runs in the background. In really hot weather the compressor runs under full load. The beauty of climate control is that left to its own devices it can maintain a constant temperature and make the interior a more comfortable environment. For me, it’s worth any slight cost.

Back