2017 auto climate recirculate air/AC

:
Mazda CX-5 GT 2017
Auto Climate Control:
I run auto climate control 99% of the time. So even if its 32F I expect to see AC activated on the display. The last few days its been 1f here and I have noticed that the AC display is NOT coming on even though have temp set to auto.

Have reset to AUTO multiple times no AC on light. Is it normal AC display does not come on in low temps? Does it have something to do with the temp being so low? Do I need to reactivate AC in AUTO Mode?

Recirculate Air:
I have noticed that fully auto mode never selects outside air position. In 8 months Auto has never gone to outside air position. Is this normal? If I manually select Outside air position it doesn't seem to turn off auto mode. It just seems to love recirculate even if its sunny and 68f.

Its a minor annoyance. Ive been through the manual and dont see anything about either of these.

Last edited:
Auto Climate Control:
I run auto climate control 99% of the time. So even if its 32F I expect to see AC activated on the display. The last few days its been 1f here and I have noticed that the AC display is NOT coming on even though have temp set to auto.

Have reset to AUTO multiple times no AC on light. Is it normal AC display does not come on in low temps? Does it have something to do with the temp being so low? Do I need to reactivate AC in AUTO Mode?

Recirculate Air:
I have noticed that fully auto mode never selects Recirculated air position. In 8 months Auto has never gone to Recirculated air position. Is this normal? If I manually select Outside air position it doesn't seem to turn off auto mode. It just seems to love recirculate even if its sunny and 68f.

Its a minor annoyance. Ive been through the manual and dont see anything about either of these.

I believe for effective aircon the air temperature needs to be with in a certain temperature range.

What I’m not sure about is if the light is an indicator of the compressor being used. If it is it would make sense that if the temp is too low it won’t run it to avoid it freezing. In the Ford it’s the case that it’s an indicator of compressor use and it’s not on when it’s very cold. However, I think mine is always on in the Mazda even when it was - temps so I was thinking maybe not as they can’t possibly be using the compressor when it’s that cold.

I believe for effective aircon the air temperature needs to be with in a certain temperature range.

Fair enough temp is suppose to go to balmy 55 next week will report back. On the recirculate air I had to rewrite parts of that. I did not write that up correctly so that part of the post has been edited. Is Auto suppose to change between outside and recirculate or have I been a moron by not switching the button?

What I’m not sure about is if the light is an indicator of the compressor being used. If it is it would make sense that if the temp is too low it won’t run it to avoid it freezing. In the Ford it’s the case that it’s an indicator of compressor use and it’s not on when it’s very cold. However, I think mine is always on in the Mazda even when it was - temps so I was thinking maybe not as they can’t possibly be using the compressor when it’s that cold.

My mechanical ability is 0. However Im big on reading manuals and my understanding is AC light should always be on when in auto mode. When I didnt see it thew me off.

Yea I’m thinking that’s the case honestly as mine is always on I believe. The Ford is definitely different in that regard.

Headed back out to run errands will punch auto air and see if AC light comes on. Its almost 20f here now. Still curious if Auto should switch between outside air and recirculate or do I need to do that manually. So funny I have a 500 page manual and still cant figure it out.

Last edited:
On my BMW 528i it has an air quality sensor so the Auto Mode will select outside air or recirculation automatically. On my 2016 CX-5 the outside air and recirculation buttons are independent from Auto Mode. If you want outside air just select it and itll stay at that position until you change it. Auto Mode on Mazda CX-5 cant control the outside air or recirculation selection.

So many questions and confusions on CX-5s Automatic Climate Control system and thats why I only use this system manually and select whatever the setups I prefer, but not controlled by the Auto Mode and unknowns!

On my BMW 528i it has an air quality sensor so the Auto Mode will select outside air or recirculation automatically. On my 2016 CX-5 the outside air and recirculation buttons are independent from Auto Mode. If you want outside air just select it and it’ll stay at that position until you change it. Auto Mode on Mazda CX-5 can’t control the outside air or recirculation selection.

So many questions and confusions on CX-5’s Automatic Climate Control system and that’s why I only use this system manually and select whatever the setups I prefer, but not controlled by the Auto Mode and unknowns!

Thank you. Question answered! I actually like CX-5 auto climate but Ive never owned a BMW. Mazda's does have some twists and turns.

My understanding was the car picked if the climate should be from outside air or recirculate based on temp conditions, humidity ect. This is a luxury car for me. Its like owning a new computer.

On my BMW 528i it has an air quality sensor so the Auto Mode will select outside air or recirculation automatically. On my 2016 CX-5 the outside air and recirculation buttons are independent from Auto Mode. If you want outside air just select it and it’ll stay at that position until you change it. Auto Mode on Mazda CX-5 can’t control the outside air or recirculation selection.

So many questions and confusions on CX-5’s Automatic Climate Control system and that’s why I only use this system manually and select whatever the setups I prefer, but not controlled by the Auto Mode and unknowns!
Sorry to contracept but it can and will automatically select recirculate at extremes of temperature.

It does automatically select recirculate when appropriate on mine. Honestly left to it’s own devices it usually does the right thing. About the only time I override it is in heavy snow if I need aggressive defrosting.

To stop internal misting up you need to ensure that external air is selected.

Fair enough temp is suppose to go to balmy 55 next week will report back. On the recirculate air I had to rewrite parts of that. I did not write that up correctly so that part of the post has been edited. Is Auto suppose to change between outside and recirculate or have I been a moron by not switching the button?

Sorry to contracept but it can and will automatically select recirculate at extremes of temperature.
I havent seen outside-air or recirculation gets changed by choosing the Auto Mode on our CX-5. By extremes of temperature I believe you meant if I set temperature dial at the lowest or the highest setting in Auto Mode? I dont believe our CX-5 has an air quality sensor to control outside-air or recirculation selection automatically.

With those unpredictable behaviors including the fan speed I simply set the system manually to suit my needs.

If you select outside air while in auto mode it sticks after a restart. So auto is not picking if it should be auto or recirc air IMHO.

@29 f while in auto mode light for AC still did not come on. Going back to review the manual. My understanding is while in auto car should pick optimal settings.

If you select outside air while in auto mode it sticks after a restart. So auto is not picking if it should be auto or recirc air IMHO.

@29 f while in auto mode light for AC still did not come on. Going back to review the manual. My understanding is while in auto car should pick optimal settings.
I tested the Auto Mode several times when our temperature was 18F in the morning. The AC indicator was always on, and the fan speed was inconsistently at 1~3 bars. Not sure if the AC compressor or AC condenser fan was actually on, I simply turned the AC off making sure the compressure was not running as the air was cold and dry.

I thought that AC set to on, means that the Auto Climate control has refrigeration cooling as a tool to automatically maintain temperature and humidity. If set to "Off" it has to try to do its best without using refrigeration as a tool to reach the target climate.

I don't think setting it to On means the compressor is engaged, just that it will be engaged when necessary for dehumidification or cooling.

If you turn on climate control, make sure one presses the a/c button.

It should be noted that you can press just the other buttons such as demister (defogger) and that function will turn on but not the entire unit.

The AC indicator only indicates that it is selected. How often it engages depends on the climatic conditions but it can be from virtually ticking over to almost constant.

Everytime I've had it set to auto, a/c light is on.

Just my thought but the light tells me the system is activated. It doesn’t mean the ac compressor is running. Just like many cars have a eco mode for their ac. The light may be on but the compressor is cycling on and off.

Back