2 near misses in 5 minutes! A traction control success story.

teradyl

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Hey guys,

I thought I'd share my experience last weekend where I had two insanely close calls with my CX-5.

I live in San Francisco, and I was driving my family home from a trip across the Golden Gate bridge. It was a nice sunny Sunday afternoon, so everyone was out and about. If anyone knows the area, I was going south on Divisidero right where it curves a bit and turns into Castro St. Probably going around 30mph, and as soon as I finished the curvy part and started going straight, someone in a parallel parking spot pulled out maybe 1 or 2 car lengths in front of me. I don't know if my mom screamed before or after he pulled out, but it was loud haha. No time to think but fortunately there was no one in the oncoming lane (just a two lane street with parallel parking) and I hard swerved around him while slamming on the breaks. What was crazy is that I felt the car do some serious traction control as I did that maneuvering. I felt the ABS and/or the traction control practically take control of the car, and lots of squealing rubber sounds. Without all that I'm pretty sure I would've lost control and maybe hit something else in my avoidance, I was impressed.

As we slowly crept long the street and recovered from the adrenaline rush, I turned left on 16th street to cross Market St. People everywhere at this ridiculous 6-way or more intersection. Light turns green so I go but some guy had tried to run the yellow unsuccessfully and was stuck in the middle of the intersection with cars and peds in front of him. So he blocked me from getting through. I honked and he ignored, and so I couldn't finish getting through the intersection until he moved and by that time my light was red anyway and peds were already walking in front of me on the crosswalk. Now I'm in the middle of the intersection. Theres a break in the pedestrians so I slowly go through and I start to speed up with the crosswalk behind me and some guy walks out from between 2 cars while he's looking to his right!! I saw him come out fortunately and stopped speeding up since he wasn't looking and then slammed on the brakes as he continued to walk ignorantly right in front of me! By the time I stopped (again with screeching tires and ABS taking control) his hand was on my car...I was probably less than a foot from touching the rest of him.

Aaaand that, my friends, was my crazy Sunday drive. As a footnote, 4 blocks after almost hitting the guy, some car did a leading left turn in front of me as my light turned green...but by that time I was so scared of everything I was driving real slow haha.

Back