RIP ‘13, going to miss you!

:
2023 CX-5 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto
RIP 8/23:2013 CX-5 Sport FWD Auto 120k
A Suburban made a left in front of me this morning and that’s all she wrote. I was driving about 30 mph in the right lane, and a car in the middle lane made a gap. The other vehicle in an oncoming lane of traffic tried to make a left into a gas station. They pulled in front of me as I was heading toward the intersection. Had about a second to break on wet road and boom, airbag deployed. The poor engine was still trying to run afterwards and I had to turn it off.

I got a slight burn to the forearm from the airbag. Everybody walked away, and I don’t think I’ll be seeing my CX-5 again. Engine was pushed at an angle in the bay. My seatbelt locked and wouldn’t retract after the accident.

Man I’m going to miss this car. Brought my kids home when they were born in it. Paid off for nearly 6 years and it was trouble free. She did her job and kept me safe, and that’s all I could’ve ever asked for.

Attachments

• IMG_5478.jpeg
    IMG_5478.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_5483.jpeg
    IMG_5483.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 138
Ooooof! Such a common crash scenario. I hate when I'm in those passing by stopped traffic like that on bikes. Really gotta be ready.

Glad your okay and time to start looking for a low miles 2016.5 touring 👍

Ooooof! Such a common crash scenario. I hate when I'm in those passing by stopped traffic like that on bikes. Really gotta be ready.

Glad your okay and time to start looking for a low miles 2016.5 touring 👍
You know, that’s not a bad idea on the 2016.5. My Toyota isn’t going to be paid off for another 3 years, and just about every vehicle I seriously want isn’t out yet (‘24 Tacoma, maybe a CX-90 in its second model year, etc). I really didn’t want two car payments especially this early lol. Going to start investigating that 16.5 route

A Suburban made a left in front of me this morning and that’s all she wrote. I was driving about 30 mph in the right lane, and a car in the middle lane made a gap. The other vehicle in an oncoming lane of traffic tried to make a left into a gas station. They pulled in front of me as I was heading toward the intersection. Had about a second to break on wet road and boom, airbag deployed. The poor engine was still trying to run afterwards and I had to turn it off.

I got a slight burn to the forearm from the airbag. Everybody walked away, and I don’t think I’ll be seeing my CX-5 again. Engine was pushed at an angle in the bay. My seatbelt locked and wouldn’t retract after the accident.

Man I’m going to miss this car. Brought my kids home when they were born in it. Paid off for nearly 6 years and it was trouble free. She did her job and kept me safe, and that’s all I could’ve ever asked for.
The best thing on this incident is nobody got seriously hurt. Like I said in another thread, it’s sad to see an original CX-5 with excellent 2.0L gone. A 2016.5 CX-5 can be an excellent choice for you like @HyFlyer suggested earlier if you want another CX-5. It sucks when an older vehicle like your 2013 CX-5 which was well maintained by yourself and got totaled. You won’t get another similar car with the insurance payment where you know it’s reliable since you know the history of the vehicle.

How many miles on that 2013 CX-5? And what kind of gas mileage can you get from the 2.0L with the FWD? Noticed that was the CX-5 Sport, did you ever think about a 6-speed manual at the time? Was the MSRP for a new 2013 CX-5 Sport FWD at the time under $20,000?

The best thing on this incident is nobody got seriously hurt. Like I said in another thread, it’s sad to see an original CX-5 with excellent 2.0L gone. A 2016.5 CX-5 can be an excellent choice for you like @HyFlyer suggested earlier if you want another CX-5. It sucks when an older vehicle like your 2013 CX-5 which was well maintained by yourself and got totaled. You won’t get another similar car with the insurance payment where you know it’s reliable since you know the history of the vehicle.

How many miles on that 2013 CX-5? And what kind of gas mileage can you get from the 2.0L with the FWD? Noticed that was the CX-5 Sport, did you ever think about a 6-speed manual at the time? Was the MSRP for a new 2013 CX-5 Sport FWD at the time under $20,000?
My family mentioned that, too. Their first response after hearing everybody was ok was “oh man, you took such good care of that car!”.

I was just shy of 120k miles. The gas mileage in perfect conditions (50 mph with no stop and go) would easily exceed 32 mpg hwy. Now that I live on a mountain, my average mileage was a hair shy of 30. That’s due to the 1 and a half miles or so at 3500-4000 rpm’s to maintain 35-40 mph going uphill. I absolutely considered the manual (only one where the car came in SkyActiv Blue if I remember correctly), but my wife didn’t want a manual. She’s never had to drive one, and when we lived and commuted to Orlando it admittedly would’ve been a pain on tollroads and in heavy traffic.

MSRP for the Sport was like 23k or so in Oct 2012. I paid sticker price as the car was super popular and I got it just as it was released.

Sadness. I also have a 2013 CX-5 but it definitely isn't as good a shape as yours “was.” ☹️

Glad you’re ok.

Glad to hear you are OK. Sorry about your car. My 2013 truck was totaled by an idiot fleeing the scene of another accident he caused. The police and the wrecker driver all told me that if the air bag deployed and it has over 100K miles, it was a guaranteed total loss by insurance company.

I hope you find a suiteable replacement.

My insurance company said the same thing. They said 7-10 years old plus a deployed airbag usually means not fixable. They looked at the pictures I took and that pretty much sealed its fate. Car is being towed to a salvage yard for valuation vs a repair facility.

In better news (despite a new car payment lol), I’m sticking with Mazda. I’m the proud owner of a new ‘23 CX-5 Turbo. I’ll share a beauty shot once I have one ready. Hoping to get more than 11 years out of the next one and keep rocking it with you all here.

My insurance company said the same thing. They said 7-10 years old plus a deployed airbag usually means not fixable. They looked at the pictures I took and that pretty much sealed its fate. Car is being towed to a salvage yard for valuation vs a repair facility.
I believe whatever the payment for a total loss of an older but well maintained vehicle would be much lower than you expected.

In better news (despite a new car payment lol), I’m sticking with Mazda. I’m the proud owner of a new ‘23 CX-5 Turbo. I’ll share a beauty shot once I have one ready. Hoping to get more than 11 years out of the next one and keep rocking it with you all here.
Congrats!

I believe whatever the payment for a total loss of an older but well maintained vehicle would be much lower than you expected.

Congrats!
Thank you! And yeah, isn’t that the truth. I already took a peek at KBB values just to have an idea in my head, but I don’t have high expectations. The car had way more value to me vs cash in its paid-off and reliable condition. Only accident I’ve had in 20 years of being on the road. If this had happened in a Ford I had years ago it would’ve been an easier pill to swallow 😂

I’ll have to swing by the wreckers office to obtain my tag and get the ‘23 registered. I’ll eventually get a wireless CarPlay adapter as well. Odd how it has a wireless charger but not wireless CarPlay. Apparently other brands are guilty of that too (Kia EV6?).

I’ve been a fan of the turbo ever since I test drove a 6 Signature when they were first released. I hope they’ve worked all the kinks out of this 2.5 T as I loved the reliability of my plain Jane 2.0 L.

I also considered the new Prius and test drove that yesterday, and it’s a great car. My worries were that I’d miss the ride height and cabin size of the CX-5. The roofline was pretty low in the Prius, and I think anybody taller than me (5 11”) would have their head very near the roof. That dealer also had 5-6k worth of useless markups and crap on it so I would’ve had to order an allocation or something from a rival dealer. The CX-5 won’t get 50+ mpg, but man the tradeoff is worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_5502.jpeg
    IMG_5502.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5503.jpeg
    IMG_5503.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 46

Sorry about your loss. My 2019 GTR was rear ended & totaled at 4 months. At least from your pictures, you car looks much worse than mine was. Due to the newness of mine, I actually came out slightly ahead. I got more then I paid for it.

I also stuck with Mazda & replaced my 2019 with it's clone.

I’ll have to swing by the wreckers office to obtain my tag and get the ‘23 registered. I’ll eventually get a wireless CarPlay adapter as well. Odd how it has a wireless charger but not wireless CarPlay. Apparently other brands are guilty of that too (Kia EV6?).
And you have to reuse your plates for the new CX-5 in your state?

I’ve been a fan of the turbo ever since I test drove a 6 Signature when they were first released. I hope they’ve worked all the kinks out of this 2.5 T as I loved the reliability of my plain Jane 2.0 L.
The 2.5T will never as reliable as your previous “plain Jane 2.0 L”, period. Hopefully the modification to the head on the 2.5T has truly fixed the cracked head problem. But only time will tell.

I also considered the new Prius and test drove that yesterday, and it’s a great car. My worries were that I’d miss the ride height and cabin size of the CX-5. The roofline was pretty low in the Prius, and I think anybody taller than me (5 11”) would have their head very near the roof. That dealer also had 5-6k worth of useless markups and crap on it so I would’ve had to order an allocation or something from a rival dealer. The CX-5 won’t get 50+ mpg, but man the tradeoff is worth it.
The wait time to get a new Prius Prime in the Bay Area (CA) is about 2 years if you’re only willing to pay MSRP. Consider the very high gasoline price in CA (currently $4.79 / gal @ Costco), PHEV should be a way to go. My daughter has put a $500 deposit for a Prius Prime. When she gets it, I’ll get her current 2022 Corolla Hatchback XSE with a simple 2.0L NA engine.

And you have to reuse your plates for the new CX-5 in your state?

The 2.5T will never as reliable as your previous “plain Jane 2.0 L”, period. Hopefully the modification to the head on the 2.5T has truly fixed the cracked head problem. But only time will tell.

The wait time to get a new Prius Prime in the Bay Area (CA) is about 2 years if you’re only willing to pay MSRP. Consider the very high gasoline price in CA (currently $4.79 / gal @ Costco), PHEV should be a way to go. My daughter has put a $500 deposit for a Prius Prime. When she gets it, I’ll get her current 2022 Corolla Hatchback XSE with a simple 2.0L NA engine.
Yeah, AL will take the old tag and transfer it to the new car. They’ll have you pay the difference in registration fees. Ad valorem tax is going to suck. I won’t be surprised if I have to pay over $300 to register the new car due to new value, where the ‘13 was pretty much fully depreciated and cost about $60 a year to renew.

The Prius prime looks great too. I don’t know if they’ll allocate any to the AL TN region though. The EV only range on it likely wouldn’t get me 100% to and from where since I live out in the country.

Corollas are fantastic too, we considered those. We’ll likely get them for the kids when they come of age too!

When you said it was "going to suck", my first thought was much more then $300. lol

So sorry to read this! I watch dash cam videos on YT and have seen a lot of accidents that you experienced. This is why, if I am the vehicle turning, I won't make the turn unless I can see that the other lanes are clear. I do the same when stopped at a stop sign. We have an intersection, I travel frequently that I come to a stop sign to make a left. Cross traffic has no signage and the speed limit is 50mph. I will be at the white line and constantly get waved on by people coming from my right who want to make a left turn but for some reason don't know how to do this while staying in their lane. I refuse as traffic coming behind them will pass them on the shoulder (which is legal in PA).

Nice upgrade though! Also, hate to be the bearer of bad news but the 2024 CX-5 will have wireless ACP/AA standard (on the S-Premium trim and up). That said, it is odd that Mazda offered wireless charging but not ACP/AA access. I bought my wife the Ottacast wireless adapter for her 2020 Sport and would recommend it.

When you said it was "going to suck", my first thought was much more then $300. lol
Florida spoiled me, no doubt about it. Registration was based on vehicle weight and was much cheaper. The tradeoff though was toll roads. Those were WAY more expensive than Alabamas ad valorem tax, so I’ll take it :D
So sorry to read this! I watch dash cam videos on YT and have seen a lot of accidents that you experienced. This is why, if I am the vehicle turning, I won't make the turn unless I can see that the other lanes are clear. I do the same when stopped at a stop sign. We have an intersection, I travel frequently that I come to a stop sign to make a left. Cross traffic has no signage and the speed limit is 50mph. I will be at the white line and constantly get waved on by people coming from my right who want to make a left turn but for some reason don't know how to do this while staying in their lane. I refuse as traffic coming behind them will pass them on the shoulder (which is legal in PA).

Nice upgrade though! Also, hate to be the bearer of bad news but the 2024 CX-5 will have wireless ACP/AA standard (on the S-Premium trim and up). That said, it is odd that Mazda offered wireless charging but not ACP/AA access. I bought my wife the Ottacast wireless adapter for her 2020 Sport and would recommend it.
I call those folks waving you out niceholes. My dad was a police officer and had to write so many reports of folks getting into accidents due to the “he/she waved me forward!”. Because of that I learned how to drive without yielding my right of way. It confuses folks as it isn’t predictable. I’ll leave you space to merge in front of me or change lanes to let you in, but man I just can’t stop while making a left and go to the other driver “it’s ok, pull a left in front of me making a left!”

No worries on the wireless CarPlay. My ‘13 Sport had power windows, cruise control and Bluetooth. The ‘23 has so many bells and whistles in comparison, so I don’t mind springing for an adapter. Thanks for the Ottacast suggestion!

Back