RIP ‘13, going to miss you!

My family mentioned that, too. Their first response after hearing everybody was ok was “oh man, you took such good care of that car!”.

I was just shy of 120k miles ...

Had a Mazda Miata like that. I was the second owner, purchase when it still had that "new leather" smell. 150Kmi, and sold it to another Miata fan who'd take proper care of it. Other than wear on the seats, it looked nearly-new. Kept it that way with an aggressive maintenance schedule. Was sad to see it go.

Enjoy the new '23 Turbo. It'll be nice to hear how it performs for you, after the first year or so, if you're willing to do a review at that point.

Had a Mazda Miata like that. I was the second owner, purchase when it still had that "new leather" smell. 150Kmi, and sold it to another Miata fan who'd take proper care of it. Other than wear on the seats, it looked nearly-new. Kept it that way with an aggressive maintenance schedule. Was sad to see it go.

Enjoy the new '23 Turbo. It'll be nice to hear how it performs for you, after the first year or so, if you're willing to do a review at that point.
Absolutely! I had a lot of fun doing used oil analysis on the ‘13’s transmission fluid. I’ll likely do the same thing for the ‘23 when the time comes, and can give a one year review.

Your automobile served you well, ten years then gave its' life due to a stupid and inattentive driver. Everyone is safe, and that is the best news of all.

Shout out to Progressive. They valued my vehicle at $11,820. They had to look over 250 miles outside my area for a comparable sale. They valued it against a ‘13 with 115k miles on it. It looks like the rarity of my ‘13 coupled with 120k miles in excellent condition snagged me a high valuation. High end of KBB value in excellent condition was $9,500 so I’m very happy with the outcome. Time to handover the title.

Shout out to Progressive. They valued my vehicle at $11,820. They had to look over 250 miles outside my area for a comparable sale. They valued it against a ‘13 with 115k miles on it. It looks like the rarity of my ‘13 coupled with 120k miles in excellent condition snagged me a high valuation. High end of KBB value in excellent condition was $9,500 so I’m very happy with the outcome. Time to handover the title.
I believe the Progressive is the other party’s insurance company who caused the accident. Yes I had the Progressive when my 2016 CX-5 got hit by hails twice in 3 years and their payment were very generous. Both times the money were enough for paintless dent repair on damages as I really would like to keep the factory paint instead of re-painting.

Still, if I were you I’d prefer to have the well-maintained 2013 CX-5 and keep driving it instead of a new 2023 CX-5 with a new monthly payment. Hope the insurance won’t be getting too much higher because of this.

Still, if I were you I’d prefer to have the well-maintained 2013 CX-5 and keep driving it instead of a new 2023 CX-5 with a new monthly payment. Hope the insurance won’t be getting too much higher because of this.
100%! I have to clarify I’m happy with the valuation, most definitely not the situation lol! I usually don’t have much faith in stuff entirely out of my control so I was skeptical to say the least of what the estimated value was going to be.

I wanted at least three more years with it until my wife’s RAV4 hybrid was paid off, maybe more so my kids could have the CX-5. I’m hoping my rate won’t go up either. My rate is now 10% higher having the new ‘23 covered with loan payoff, but that’s without the snapshot discount I had on the ‘13z No collision claims in my 11 years with Progressive so I’ll be putting the large claim forgiveness to the test (especially with me not being at fault).

Last edited:
100%! I wanted at least three more years with it until my wife’s RAV4 hybrid was paid off, maybe more so my kids could drive it. I’m hoping my rate won’t go up either. No collision claims in my 11 years with Progressive so I’ll be putting the large claim forgiveness to the test (especially with me not being at fault).
Wait, so it’s YOUR Progressive paying the total loss?

No collision claims in my 11 years with Progressive so I’ll be putting the large claim forgiveness to the test (especially with me not being at fault).
When my 2019 GTR was rear ended & totaled, my insurance, Erie handled everything including issuing the payout check. They then recouped their payout from State Farm which was the insurer of the party who caused the accident. Because my GTR was only 4 months old, they essentially paid out the cost of a brand new 2019 CX-5 GTR. It didn't affect my premium whatsoever. I've been very pleased with Erie, including my homeowners insurance.

Wait, so it’s YOUR Progressive paying the total loss?
Correct, per below:
When my 2019 GTR was rear ended & totaled, my insurance, Erie handled everything including issuing the payout check. They then recouped their payout from State Farm which was the insurer of the party who caused the accident. Because my GTR was only 4 months old, they essentially paid out the cost of a brand new 2019 CX-5 GTR. It didn't affect my premium whatsoever. I've been very pleased with Erie, including my homeowners insurance.
My insurance bought my car to salvage it. My deductible was subtracted from the payout. My insurance will now go after the at fault party’s insurance. If all goes according to plan I should technically get my deductible back, but who knows if that will pan out.

Health insurance can be tricky too. I learned that your medical insurance will cover your costs as a courtesy, but if your bills are due to an injury from an at fault party your health insurance is going to go after their insurance to recoup the costs.

Last edited:
Exactly, you are going to stop on a through road and wave me out? Nope! Not only do cars pass on the shoulder but too many horror stories of insurance scams. They wave you on, you pull out and then they hit you, now you are at fault.

Nice payout indeed! Agreed that the situation sux but at least this helps soften the blow.

If all goes according to plan I should technically get my deductible back
You should definitely get your deductible back. Erie didn't even deduct mine from my payment. In addition to paying the cost of a brand new vehicle, they included 6% PA sales tax on that amount as well as money to cover the dealer documentation/paperwork fees. They also covered a rental until I got the payout.

Essentially no money out of my pocket for anything. In my case it was just pre-pandemic so new car availability was pretty good & I actually got a better deal on my replacement clone than the first one. It also qualified me for the Mazda Loyalty Reward.

Enjoy your new ride. It always sucks to lose a well treated & maintained older vehicle. Good to hear you got a good payout. That makes it a little less painful.

Back