CX-5 AWD Traction

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I watched a YouTube video of a test of a 2023 with the "Off Road" feature. It apparently prevented wheelspin and loss of traction when the car climbed a short quite steep slope that the testers said had a damp or wet surface. It was impressive but I've found my car without the new feature will climb quite steep unpaved slopes (once so steep a warning message lit up on the dash) without wheelspin so long as the traction is equal all around. In fact I wonder just how steep a slope it can climb. I may be quite wrong but my seat of the pants impression is that traction with the AWD CX-5 isn't really different from an old style 4x4 (of which I've owned a few) with open differentials apart from not having a two speed transfer case.

Traction is *always* about which wheel will slip. (Unless you have 4 locking hubs!). My 2000 Outback and 1995 Eclipse both had LSD (limited slip differential) on the rear axle. They *clearly* had more tractive force than the other subies I owned. My A4 had oooh! TORSEN!

My CX-5 is not far away from those LSD-equipped cars, and noticeably better than my Impreza and wife's non-LSD Outback.

I commuted for more than 1 hour, for 18 years, on 2-lane county roads. Often in deep, wet, untracked snow. Snow and ice specific tires made the most difference. I'd take a front wheel drive car on snow tires over *any* AWD/4WD car on 'all-seasons'. BTW-my 2012 Impreza was the most stable car I've ever driven, in deep, wet tracked snow. I was the jerk blowing past 25 mph traffic at 65+. Like WOT on a well-setup snowmobile.

Traction is *always* about which wheel will slip. (Unless you have 4 locking hubs!). My 2000 Outback and 1995 Eclipse both had LSD (limited slip differential) on the rear axle. They *clearly* had more tractive force than the other subies I owned. My A4 had oooh! TORSEN!

My CX-5 is not far away from those LSD-equipped cars, and noticeably better than my Impreza and wife's non-LSD Outback.

I commuted for more than 1 hour, for 18 years, on 2-lane county roads. Often in deep, wet, untracked snow. Snow and ice specific tires made the most difference. I'd take a front wheel drive car on snow tires over *any* AWD/4WD car on 'all-seasons'. BTW-my 2012 Impreza was the most stable car I've ever driven, in deep, wet tracked snow. I was the jerk blowing past 25 mph traffic at 65+. Like WOT on a well-setup snowmobile.
I have a 2012 impreza with only 14500 miles we it bought new. It does get around in the winter But it gets driven less than any other vehicle i own.

2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD, here.

My own preference: stellar tires, competent AWD, and more "turtle" rather than "hare" pace when the conditions warrant.

I drive on mostly pavement, though occasionally on hard-packed and gravel country roads. (No "back" roads or off-road stuff for me, these days.) Some can get reasonably steep. And some conditions, like frosty damp roadways, can get a bit tricky if winding with steeper elevation and/or camber changes.

Mostly, I take the slow and steady approach. Have to contend with ice, sleet, slush, frost, ice and snow during the winter months, and occasionally conditions can be quite different from what they appear (ie, a very slick layer of ice beneath that mundane-looking half inch of snow). And I do much of my driving in the early hours of the day, when wet and frost can conspire to toss cars left and right. You never know.

Decent tires, in the Nokian WR G4. And despite steepness or off-camber or weather, I've yet to slide more than a few inches here and there, and that only rarely. At which point the traction-control and AWD gear corrects the slippage and gets things back on track. Overall, I've found the CX-5 AWD to be more-capable than a mid-80s Subaru 4WD, on the typical stuff, though the Suby was darned capable on off-road dirt trails and logging roads that got quite steep. I'd roughly rank the CX-5 AWD along with the contemporary Audi Quattro vehicles, for all-around grip on "normal" stuff one's likely to find on-road where I live.

Haven't done much testing on off-road stuff, very steep routes, or very-slick icy conditions. So, I can't say how this 2016 behaves when really pushed on slippery surfaces.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Unlike many of you I never deal with snow or ice, mud yes. I have the popular Falken Trail tires and they have made a noticable difference over stock tires on slippery stuff. Skidoo I'm guessing you mean front and rear locking axels rather than locking hubs.

"Skidoo I'm guessing you mean front and rear locking axels rather than locking hubs."

What I really meant was that all four wheels rotated at the exact same speed.

Both CX-5 diffs are open, and spin is controlled by braking. If you are in mud, uphill, I'd expect the brakes to overheat quickly. Momentum will be your goal. That requires higher speed, which the CX-5 is not set up for, off-road.

FWIW, I 'tested' compressed snow traction by slamming the throttle open from a stop. All four wheels started to spin within about 6" of each other, telling me the clutch putting power to the rear axle responded very quickly. Power sliding on snow was very controllable.

If you are in an area where you'd be hiking out on traction failure, I'd be taking a 4x4.

I've driven my CX-5 through MANY brutal snow storms in northern Minnesota and the upper Peninsula of Michigan. With proper tires, traction is never an issue. I concur with skidoo, brake smell becomes apparent if you're really pushing it... but it will get you there, no questions asked.

I have a 2014 CX-5 touring AWD and I came across that if you turn off the TCS it acts as a “simulated” rear differential. Do any of y’all know if that is only for the newer models (ie 2020 and up) or any models?

I have a 2014 CX-5 touring AWD and I came across that if you turn off the TCS it acts as a “simulated” rear differential. Do any of y’all know if that is only for the newer models (ie 2020 and up) or any models?
TCS applies the brake to the wheel spinning fastest. This forces more torque to the opposite wheel. All cars have 'differentials' on powered axles. This is a mechanism that allows differing wheel speeds, so cars can turn without skidding the outside or inside wheel, which would happen if both wheels turned at the same exact speed.

TCS applies the brake to the wheel spinning fastest. This forces more torque to the opposite wheel. All cars have 'differentials' on powered axles. This is a mechanism that allows differing wheel speeds, so cars can turn without skidding the outside or inside wheel, which would happen if both wheels turned at the same exact speed.
Yeah, I think what he meant was a simulated limited slip differential.

FYI, for 2020 and later, there is no TCS off switch anymore. If you don't have a trim with Off Road Mode there doesn't seem to be any other way to turn it off.

My '20 CX-5 GX (Canadian base trim) had the TCS off switch.

My current '22 CX-5 GS (Canadian trim one up from base) does not have that switch but instead has a "snow mode" switch (which I have actually yet to try).

So the removal of the TCS switch would have been in '21 or '22.

IMG_4143.jpeg

My 2020 CX5 GT, purchased new in WA, USA.

All I know is we had 12.5 inches of snow last week and I put my CX-5 in off road mode and drove out of my 60 ft level driveway and it didn't even twitch. Just like nothing was there.

@Zoomzoom15 That info is coming from a video where Dave Coleman (Mazda USA lead engineer) explained how a CX-9 that failed a diagonal slope test would have passed if they had turned off the TCS. He said the TCS off button label was misleading because it did more than just turn traction control off in a traditional sense, and it would also apply the brake to the spinning wheel to transfer torque to the other side. In that video he said that in the future years Mazda would change the button labelling to something better.

Off-road mode then appeared on subsequent Mazda model year. Now this was on a CX-9, which started as a 2016 model, there is no guarantee that the 2014 Mazda TCS off function the same way, it might just turn the traction control off in a traditional sense.

Here is the video: How Mazda i-ACTIV AWD works and what they think of our famous DIAGONAL TEST!

Latest posts

Back