2.0 conversion to 1.8 Coil Packs

Are you still having problems with running the 1.8 coils?

With mounting the coil pack on the side like that, did you need to by the mounting bracket or did you reuse something that was already there?

Are you still having problems with running the 1.8 coils?

With mounting the coil pack on the side like that, did you need to by the mounting bracket or did you reuse something that was already there?

I actually didnt use the bracket. I sorta zip ties them together and sat the on a metal bracket that was there. Then zip tied them down wherever i could....and as for problems...so far so good. I drove home from work(about 15 miles) and popped the hood as soon as i got home...and felt the coilpack and...guess what...it was cool, while the rest of the engine was hot. So i suggest give it a try. (yippy)

Any of you guys use silicone sealant when reinstalling the valve cover? I've got a 626 cover and new vc gasket, but the manual recommends silicone sealant as well, although I've never had anyone mention using it on here. Anyone?

Any of you guys use silicone sealant when reinstalling the valve cover? I've got a 626 cover and new vc gasket, but the manual recommends silicone sealant as well, although I've never had anyone mention using it on here. Anyone?

its only in a couple of spots on the timing belt side. i used it, as i didnt think i wanted any oil getting onto the timing belt.

That's correct. Use it i nthe corners by the cam gears. The FSM shows a picture.

Yup, decided to just go with it since it was recommended. I had just never heard anyone mention using it, so I wondered if it was SOP to just not do it. Hopefully doing this today and pics soon!

Yup, decided to just go with it since it was recommended. I had just never heard anyone mention using it, so I wondered if it was SOP to just not do it. Hopefully doing this today and pics soon!

i figured it was in the shop manual, so it must have been there for a reason. i didnt think i had to mention it specifically?

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but just FYI, I installed the 1.8L coil in my MSP before getting rid of it and didn't feel an immediate difference at all. The only benefit I could see would be long term; as the 1.8L can be mounted where the heat doesn't destroy it as quick as the 2.0L coils.

did this yesterday, was in the junkyard and they had everything i needed so thought why not? lol so it seems so much cleaner running, granted the car has 110k on it and sure the coils and wires probably werent replaced ever. but i dont get any studder anymore, dont really beat on my car, like ever, so not sure of performance but for driveability seems way better, and thats with junkyard wires, gotta put the new ones on in a min. anyways thanks for the info and glad i did it

Is it just me or did the cost on the 1.8 coils go WAY up? I just checked on Napaonline and they have them listed for $204.00. RockAuto shows it for $94.79. Anyone know of a better place for a deal?

Is it just me or did the cost on the 1.8 coils go WAY up? I just checked on Napaonline and they have them listed for $204.00. RockAuto shows it for $94.79. Anyone know of a better place for a deal?

oh i know! i was just looking at autozone.com and the coil alone is like $140!

yeah, this conversion is no longer cost worthy. when i did it, the 1.8 coils were $30-something, and the 2.0 coils were $150-ish.

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but my question is did anyone try this setup (626 VC, 1.8 Coil Convert, NOLOGY 1.8L HotWires)? I know tons of junkyards here would have what I need but wanna see if lower resistance wires will boost performance...

I run Splitz 6 core wires that have the lowest resistance of any I tested (including the NOLOGY which were real close but splitz were cheaper) and no difference in the butt dyno for power but the engine ran/idled smoother IMO. Looks cool and I was going through coils like crazy before and have not had any issues since the swap.

picked up a 626 valve cover. what else is needed for this again? 1.8 coils and wires obviously, but do i need like a mounting bracket?

i bought the mounting bracket to do my conversion just because i was too lazy to try and build one that would work..

Mine coilpack came with the mounting bracket. It's a military green deal that I was able to bolt on just to the right (as your looking at the engine bay from the front of the car) of the valve cover. I should have a picture around here, otherwise I'll go take one.

-peel

Back