2.0 conversion to 1.8 Coil Packs

I know this is a little late but anyone still looking for a coil conversion check nology hot wires. they a coil conversion kit for the 2002-03 MP%

I know this is a little late but anyone still looking for a coil conversion check nology hot wires. they a coil conversion kit for the 2002-03 MP%

sorry, but the nology setup is NOT a coil conversion. its just a crappy set of ignition wires and a bracket for the stock coils to be relocated.

Today I did the conversion 1.8l conversion on my p5 with msp turbo setup.

Should of done it a long time ago, kept going through coil packs, reduced dwell timing to 2.5ms to make them last longer, etc...

Car idles heaps smoother and comes on boost much smoother now.

Should of done it a long time ago, kept going through coil packs, reduced dwell timing to 2.5ms to make them last longer, etc...

You did the OEM 1.8L conversion over to your P5 FSDE Turbo Setup and not the Nology as stated above correct? Just wanted to clarify.

Sorry yes, Mazda genuine OEM 1.8l FP coil pack, bracket and leads to my 2.0l FSDE p5 with msp turbo kit that I imported from the US a few years ago.

Since the conversion, I removed the msp radiator and msp intercooler and plastic pipes and refitted my original p5 radiator and added a front mount intercooler and had custom pipe work installed.

With a factory msp setup, you can't fit the 1.8l coil pack at the front of the engine as the original plastic turbo to intercooler pipe gets in the way.

I trimmed the boot on the 1.8l leads and kept my 2.0l p5 rocker cover, as I had a custom camshaft sync sensor fitted and triggering from the intake camshaft pulley for my aftermarket EMS ecu.

I definitely recommend the conversion, and will purchase brand new 1.8l coils and leads to replace the ones I purchased from the junk yard (wreckers as we call here in aus) when I find a deal.

I had wanted to do this conversion for some time. I'm glad that I did! When I pulled my plugs, both of the plugs under the coil packs showed signs of the spark jumping from they coil boot to the cylinder head. Not only were there carbon traces but the porcelain was etched from from the spark! My car had OEM coils and boots on it and they will not be going back under my hood!

Hello, I saw you was doing some coil pack conversion. I wanted to ask your opinion or anyone else who may have a solution. I have a Mazda Familia 1999 which is like the Mazda Protege. It uses two coil packs and one camshaft and one crankshaft sensor. I have changed the head to use a distributor because of the unavailability of sensors and coil packs in my part of the world. I have a Mazda distributor which fits on the DOHC head perfectly. The distributor has two plugs on it. One with three wires and the other with six different wires. Does anyone know how I can connect the wires on the distributor to get it to fire off? I put the three wires from one of the coil pack which connects perfectly on to the three wire connection on the distributor. The problem is I don't know how to connect the six wires and the distributors does not fire off when I put a plug on to the plug lead. Any ideas will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

I picked up a VC for my conversion yesterday. It came off of I think a 98 626. This will work fine right?

Looks like this one.
FXF6FH2TE0EPH678CC.LARGE.jpg

^^ as long as it has the spot for the cam sensor on the end you will be fine.

Damn I had one with the hole yesterday but put it back when I saw this one because I forgot we had that on ours.

Think I can just drill a hole for it haha? Or should I look for another VC?

Last edited:
Damn I had one with the hole yesterday but put it back when I saw this one because I forgot we had that on ours.

Think I can just drill a hole for it haha? Or should I look for another VC?

get one with the mounting location already there. it is a very precise location needed for the car to run properly.

I think I understand this concept. But is there much or any benifit for this swap on NA setup. Stock motor (for now)

you won't get a huge performance gain, but you should get a smoother idle. the 1.8 coil set-up will give you a much more consistent spark between cylinders due to the more similar wire resistance compared to the 2.0 set-up.

There are 3-4 1.8L coil pack and VC setups in the JY near my house right now but I couldn't bring myself to buy them because I am afraid the turbo will just cook the coils the way they are mounted

There are 3-4 1.8L coil pack and VC setups in the JY near my house right now but I couldn't bring myself to buy them because I am afraid the turbo will just cook the coils the way they are mounted

Maxx Mazda has them on his built motor running 20PSI, bit of DEI reflective tape on the bracket and the coils helps and his are mounted very close to the manifold/turbo.
img1440e.jpg

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/3130/dsc06343r.jpg

I know underhood temps willl be similar but it hits well over 100 degrees here for 3-4 months out of the year and my car is driven daily no matter what. I would hate to go through all the trouble and not even notice a difference

Back