2.0 conversion to 1.8 Coil Packs

ok cool. what about the coil pack? does it have to be from a 2000 Protege 1.8L or can it be from a 1.8L Miata? if so what year?

So I tried this the other day and the car didn't seem to have the same "pep" it had before the swap. Is that normal? My idle was much better, but car doesn't seem to pull like it did with the normal 2.0 coils on it. Gonna try some different wires too though; the ones from autozone were garbage.

Smoother idle I did see but the other coils I could not keep running. No difference in the "pepyness" I ran 10.5 mm wires too.

im gonna mount mine like this

valvecover1.jpg

i never understood the point of this "mod"

lets take a better design by having the coil right on top of the plug like every performance car in the world has, you know so there is way less resistance because the spark has way less distance to travel, and go back in time to an old less efficient way.

If you really want to improve things, the only thing you should use off of an old 1.8 is the plug wires. And not the crappy stock ones but a set of really good aftermarket ones. Then get yourself a really good 4 post MSD coil or even better an MSD coil and an ignition box and actually improve your car and not go back in time.

ever measured the resistance on the leads and/or the tubes on the stock setup? its pretty woeful...

i never understood the point of this "mod"

lets take a better design by having the coil right on top of the plug like every performance car in the world has, you know so there is way less resistance because the spark has way less distance to travel, and go back in time to an old less efficient way.

If you really want to improve things, the only thing you should use off of an old 1.8 is the plug wires. And not the crappy stock ones but a set of really good aftermarket ones. Then get yourself a really good 4 post MSD coil or even better an MSD coil and an ignition box and actually improve your car and not go back in time.

I agree with you completely. I also don't see how moving the coils to above the exhaust mani is better then on top of the valve cover, to me it's worse. If I've been able to run 14 psi on my mam thumper kit for nearly 2 yrs now without killing a coil, I think the stock set up is more then fine, especially for the average application most ppl are using them for.

i upgraded because i had a bad coil, and at the time, it was cheaper to go with the 1.8 set-up. i have no regrets.

I agree with you completely. I also don't see how moving the coils to above the exhaust mani is better then on top of the valve cover, to me it's worse.

That is why I did this....

mini-coilswap.jpg

Wow that old pic looks like crap but from the top you can not see as well where I tucked the coils. They stay reall cool there.

^ That's much better, if you have the room there. If your bay looks like mine tho, with catch cans, tranny cooler pump, and other things in that area, it won't fit there lol.

There is no proven HP from it. It looks cleaner to some people and some (like myself) got sick of replaceing the coil on plugs all the time and this has solved the issue. If you are that interested in numbers, do a before and after dyno would be the only way to tell.

There is no proven HP from it. It looks cleaner to some people and some (like myself) got sick of replaceing the coil on plugs all the time and this has solved the issue. If you are that interested in numbers, do a before and after dyno would be the only way to tell.

My coils just went out after 66,000 miles. Why would 1.8L coils be better?

I have a brand set of these coils, wires, and a proper valve cover for sale if anyone is interested. PM me.

Back