100k miles

WOW! I thought my friend w/ an 06 MINI was bad- delivered April 06, 100k in November 08! O_O

I'm at 52.3%

I don't think it looks that bad either... It'll be a nice car for a young kid learning to drive or something. Think a lotta power was lost?

(doesn't that happen, the more miles, losing power?)

I would say power loss should be very min. if the proper maintence was given-spark plugs and oil changes and what not. Factory turbo "MAY" need to be replaced soon but that would be about it,and ive seen plenty of factory turbos last way over 100k..so who knows..bottom line if the cars been taken car of "mechanicly" then should be same ole power for the most part. thats my 2 cents :)

I would say power loss should be very min. if the proper maintence was given-spark plugs and oil changes and what not. Factory turbo "MAY" need to be replaced soon but that would be about it,and ive seen plenty of factory turbos last way over 100k..so who knows..bottom line if the cars been taken car of "mechanicly" then should be same ole power for the most part. thats my 2 cents :)

as far as the lifetime of a turbo goes, it all depends on how the car was driven (unless you have a defective turbo) This means proper warm up, and proper cool down. These are not necessary, but will increase the life of your turbo and the rest of your engine for that matter.

For example, my brother has a Bi-Turbo Audi S4. His car is chipped with an MTM unit, and is pushing 17 lbs peak boost whereas stock boost pressure is 11 lbs. He drives it carefully and takes all proper precautions such as proper warm up and cool down. He has no problems and he is nearing the 100K point.

Don't buy into all that crap about numerous engines blowing up. Sure a relative few have had issues (statistically those few that had issues are down in the statistical noise floor while the majority of those incidents were caused by abuse), but the majority of these cars are reliable...

Don't believe the hype. :)

Yeah, i know people come through the forums more often with problems than any other thing but i was actually glad someone made it. :D

I have a 75mi commute everyday and I'm at 39k miles now and so far no big problems so if it stays that way, I'm happy.

"proper" warm up and cool down. How long of warm up in very cold weather? and thought the manual said to just let the car sit for 30 seconds if you were say, just getting off the highway. Are you supposed to give it 30 seconds everytime you get ready to turn the car off? (don't feel like searching so bash if you'd like)

the super worn out shift knob caught my attention more than the seat stains

but looks decent enough for a 100k DAILY car...

You should have seen the shift knobs in the mazda 6s the "chrome" wears off super quick, when I traded my 2003 6 with 60,000 on it the chrome was all worn away and pitted.

I am in the party of not in bad condition for the mileage. It was either a family car or salesman car, probably not an enthusiasts car and for that the True Red paint and other things seem to be holding up fine. The engine cover has some plastic conditioner on it to clean it up but doesn't seem to be on the grill sections of it, which could be the reason for the corroded look.

For example, my brother has a Bi-Turbo Audi S4. His car is chipped with an MTM unit, and is pushing 17 lbs peak boost whereas stock boost pressure is 11 lbs. He drives it carefully and takes all proper precautions such as proper warm up and cool down. He has no problems and he is nearing the 100K point.[/QUOTE]

That too :)

"proper" warm up and cool down. How long of warm up in very cold weather? and thought the manual said to just let the car sit for 30 seconds if you were say, just getting off the highway. Are you supposed to give it 30 seconds everytime you get ready to turn the car off? (don't feel like searching so bash if you'd like)

No bashing required....I dont live in super cold temps..used to live in Alaska. I start my car and wait till the engine idles down to constant low rpm..which is about 20-30 sec. Now if you just got back from driving for while and then hopped back in your car 30 min later..your car is still warm..just give it a few seconds to get the oil flowing and go..no biggie imo. Now if your in weather of say freezing or colder..give the car few min to warm up before you go..just use common sence..your car will kinda "tell" you when its warm if that makes any sence. As for cool down..its alwas been a standard in the turbo car world to either buy turbo timer or just let your car run about 30 seconds before you turn it off, Tim Bailey of surgeline tuning who has insane knowlegde of turbo cars says with the modern oil cooled turbos in some of todays cars it really doesnt make a difference in cool down..ive heard the same by other "smart car guys"..I just play it safe and wait abut 10 seconds are so and then shut it off...Im sure theres TONS of opinions on the matter so I wont go too far into it..everyone has thier own way of what is right and wrong and im sure no expert..just alittle more wise to say the average Joe...Hope this helps :)

as for warm up, what i do is let it idle about 20-30 seconds, and then I dont rev it past 3k rpms until the coolant is normal, and then a little longer for the oil to warm up until I go into boost.(which i dont really do that much anyways). I only really let it cool down if I have driven it hard, other than that, its like 10-15 seconds. As for cold weather, let it idle for like 30-40 seconds, and then drive it carefully till warm. Your not really supposed to let it warm up by idling. The theory is that it can damage the components because its running cold and by idling its not really producing any heat.

We've been having very low temps around here (MA). You will usually see the RPM going to 2k RPM at start-up and then sloowly coming down.

For me, i go out, start the car, come back in, get ready, out in less than 10min. Coolant temp is halfway there by now so i drive normally until it hits the right temperature.

But usually, i would wait at least 2min under very cold weather before moving.

Back