Is Sport Mode faster?

I like sports mode but rarely use it. The throttle tip-in is more responsive and the transmission stays on the bubble better than in normal mode. It makes driving the cx-5 in twisties or around town a little more fun. But again, I rarely use it. The transmission in this vehicle is extremely well sorted and tuned. One of the best Ive ever driven. A close second would be my Jeep Grand Cherokees 8 speed (with the hemi) which is also a great transmission.

that is the one time I'll switch to manual; e.g., descending from a steep trailhead (Butler Gulch); nice to let the engine do the braking.

That*s a good argument for paddle shifters. Used them a lot for this in my Gen 1 RDX, especially going downhill in wintry conditions.

0 - 60 mile/hour

Is there a speed test 0 to 60 mile/hour on sport mode? I wonder if it is faster on sport mode.

Will let others correct me, but I believe that when you do 0-60 the "kickdown" thing gets engaged, making it irrelevant whether Sport Mode is on or off

So saying that "Sport Mode" is useless makes no sense, it just serves a different purpose.

I found that if you floored past the click, it does not shift at a higher RPM. You’re better off right before the click. Putting it in sport mode does not shift at 6KRPM. The best way is to use the paddle shifters to get close to 6KRPM for more often not it shifts add a little over 5500 RPMs. I must say though I like the control when using the paddle shifters to control and slow down without overheating the brakes. This is with using JB4.

I've tried it. It's not. Sport Mode is largely useless. It does not shift faster. It does not shift harder. It does not lower the vehicle. It does not raise the redline. It does not alter the timing. It is similar to "TOW" modes in trucks in that it just holds gears longer at low throttle inputs and engine-brakes on hills.
Yes, the only time I use sports mode is when towing.

ACC, which not everyone has, still wears brake pads down. I assume Cleverusername does that because it's less wear on the brake system...not because he's too lazy to use the brake. LOL

Latest posts

Back