Poll Do you use Sport mode and Manual mode?

Which of these do you use regularly?

• Total voters
Ok. So how does that affect my decision to use sport mode?…

No, it affects the fuel you choose and whether you want full power at part throttle/mid rpm acceleration or not.

Ok. So how does that affect my decision to use sport mode? Sounds like Mazda engineered the system to manage that already. If as you say we're all getting occasional knock, then they wouldn't give us modes in the first place, if they were detrimental.
It's up to the user to determine the responsible way to use their vehicle. A lengthy learning process is required, to understand how the very vehicle which you drive was programmed to operate the way it does.

If you're afraid sport mode may damage your car, maybe modern cars aren't for you.

Imagine all those old cars without "modes"...

If you're afraid sport mode may damage your car, maybe modern cars aren't for you.

Imagine all those old cars without "modes"...
The sport mode, like the regular driving mode was developed by excellent engineers who know what they are doing.

It's the way cars are driven in general by humans such as you or me which concerns me.

I don't know that I've ever used Sport mode on purpose in my CX-5 - I use manual mode in the snow, but that's about it. I take the '91 Miata if I want to drive for fun.

I don't know that I've ever used Sport mode on purpose in my CX-5 - I use manual mode in the snow, but that's about it. I take the '91 Miata if I want to drive for fun.
I don't really use sport mode for fun--see my above post on its uses.

Sport mode was invented for people who never experienced a manual transmission. 😆
Kind of agree on the comparison; it basically ensures you're more likely in the right gear at the right time so that your engine doesn't bog down against a transmission which is being far too conservative in its tuning. That is nice when taking a turn onto a cross street, when coming down a hill, or going straight through a series of cross streets where you'll accelerate, brake in case of traffic, accelerate, brake in case of traffic, and would otherwise bog down each time.

Oh, believe me, if Mazda would sell CX-5 with manual transmission in US, I would buy it yesterday!

Kind of agree on the comparison; it basically ensures you're more likely in the right gear at the right time so that your engine doesn't bog down against a transmission which is being far too conservative in its tuning. That is nice when taking a turn onto a cross street, when coming down a hill, or going straight through a series of cross streets where you'll accelerate, brake in case of traffic, accelerate, brake in case of traffic, and would otherwise bog down each time.
It is primarily the quality of the combustion process (or lack thereof) Which the AT is tuned so conservatively for.

My sport mode works great in all gears but it won't make the 3-4 shift till 42mph so if I am stuck behind someone doing 40 I have to go back to D to get it to shift. Otherwise this tranny/engine combo is flawless.

I made my initial comment and vote back when this thread was first posted.
At that time I only had my 2017 6 to drive around in. I always thought it was fairly peppy, and often used sport mode to liven things up a bit.
Since then, I purchased a new Kia Stinger. Top line AWD with the 3.3l twin turbo V6.
Holy crap Batman. Makes driving my 6 feel like I'm going uphill all the time. It now feels painfully slow, especially when I've just come out of the Stinger.
The Stinger has sport mode as well, but it does a lot more in that mode than the Mazda will ever do.
Now I just drive the Mazda in normal mode and rarely use sport mode.

My sport mode works great in all gears but it won't make the 3-4 shift till 42mph so if I am stuck behind someone doing 40 I have to go back to D to get it to shift. Otherwise this tranny/engine combo is flawless.
There's a case for paddle shifters, if your model has them.

Again, your questions and lack of awareness will be answered with some data logging. If you're interested, try it.
Data logging or not, you're making the case that we can't/shouldn't use a MT with these engines. It just doesn't make sense. The engines are tuned conservatively so no one blows them up and they leave power on the table.

Data logging or not, you're making the case that we can't/shouldn't use a MT with these engines. It just doesn't make sense. The engines are tuned conservatively so no one blows them up and they leave power on the table.
It's primarily due to efficiency. These cars are for efficiency.

Why wouldn't a driver operating a manual transmission be able to choose the correct shift points on their own?

Manual transmissions have shift indicators suggesting when to upshift.

Back