0-20 oil vs 5-30 oil

texasdude

:
Mazda CX-5 Sport
The manual recommends 0-20 for US and Canada mainly to comply with EPA regulations. The manual recommends 5-30 for Mexico. Which is better for engine wear?

I don't think that statement is true. I live in a hot dry climate very similar to Mexico. I think car makers are using low viscosity oils because it helps them meet the governments mpg requirements. A low viscosity oil produces less resistance and therefore better MPG, but that doesn't mean it's protecting your engine any better.

Well using a 5W-30 in the cold temperatures you see in northern USA and Canada would be harder on the engine at startup. And yes, the thinner oil is also better for economy.

But none of that means that 0W-20 is worse in hotter regions (hot 0W-20 is the same everywhere). It just means you don't need 0W-20 where it is hotter.

It looks like oil as thick as 10W50 is recommended for very high temperatures outside of Europe. (Middle east I assume?)
Running anything other than 0W20 in the USA while your car is under warranty is probably a bad idea, but once the warranty is up, you might be better engine protection in the summer with thicker oil.

This capture is from the UK owners manual:
SoE0iXd.png

Srouce: http://idn.tweddle.com/media/mazda/e597b_CX-5_8EJ3-EE-14D+L_Edition2_OM.pdf

I am a long time Amsoil user and still utilize it in my other cars and powersport equipment (snowmobiles & ATVs) but the Mazda moly oil ratings and threads on Bobistheoilguy has compelled me to use it exclusively on this Mazda. It's cheaper than the Amsoil I had originally intended to use.

Screen%20Shot%202014-11-26%20at%202.07.41%20PM.jpg

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=357910

I drove 8000miles in temps as cold as 25 degrees and as hot as 109 (one time doing 80+ with fully loaded vehicle). I didn't use that over priced, overly hyped mazda oil; I used penzoil pure (got it for around $3 a qt) and it worked well. Ho do I define "well"? I posted the uoa of it. It was the first oil change so iron was slightly high (Blackstone said that was break in residue, it will take a few changes to get rid of it) but otherwise excellent. I have yet to see an uoa of Mazda oil doing a better job. Blackstone said to go 10K miles on this current change of pennzoil before sending it back for a uoa.

I didn't use that over priced, overly hyped mazda oil; I used penzoil pure (got it for around $3 a qt) and it worked well. Ho do I define "well"? I posted the uoa of it. It was the first oil change so iron was slightly high (Blackstone said that was break in residue, it will take a few changes to get rid of it) but otherwise excellent. I have yet to see an uoa of Mazda oil doing a better job. Blackstone said to go 10K miles on this current change of pennzoil before sending it back for a uoa.

katman, which weight of Pennzoil Pure are you using?

Can one consistently get a cheaper price on this Penzoil alternative as this is basically the same price as Mazda oil? Rebates won't always be available when you need it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

51HH%2BWAOlRL._SX425_.jpg

It may actually be a little more expensive as this doesn't include a filter.

I don't get oil off of amazon as the shipping can be a killer. I think I paid around $5 a qt. The rebates and offers come and go. Even without rebates and offers, still probably cheaper as Mazda oil in my area is around $10 a qt, waaay too much for oil. I can get Redline 5-20 for around $7 a qt from a wholeseller which that too, is likely better than Mazda. Want a lot of moly? Redline has it. Want a real synthetic, not a group III? Redline is made with ester/pao.
I think without coupons and deals, the most I have seen it go for is $9 a qt. I think Walmart has it in a jug for less.

I can get it from dealer for around $7/quart and that is cheaper than the Group IV Amsoil I was going to utilize.

I've heard good things about Redline products and issues with Royal Purple.

I can get it from dealer for around $7/quart and that is cheaper than the Group IV Amsoil I was going to utilize.

I've heard good things about Redline products and issues with Royal Purple.

A five quart jug of Penzoil 5-20 from walmart will cost 25.17, or $5 a quart. That's every day price, if you have rebates, even cheaper.

Whatever you use I wouldn't give dealer an excuse to deny a warranty claim and stay with a 0W-20.

Whatever you use I wouldn't give dealer an excuse to deny a warranty claim and stay with a 0W-20.

Looking back, I did use 5-20. I think the manual says you can use 5-20 though. At any rate, that Mazda stuff is over priced. I was at pepboys today and five qts of penzoil synthetic and an oil filter was $20. With the oil filter, that's about $3.50 a qt. At that price, I fail to see the reason some will pay double or triple for an oil that has not been demonstrated to be any better or even as good.

Looking back, I did use 5-20. I think the manual says you can use 5-20 though. At any rate, that Mazda stuff is over priced. I was at pepboys today and five qts of penzoil synthetic and an oil filter was $20. With the oil filter, that's about $3.50 a qt. At that price, I fail to see the reason some will pay double or triple for an oil that has not been demonstrated to be any better or even as good.

Since the manual allows 5W-20, then the warranty is not an issue. I agree that the 5W-20 is fine and that the Pennzoil would be perfectly fine for the engine.

Even without rebates and offers, still probably cheaper as Mazda oil in my area is around $10 a qt, waaay too much for oil. I can get Redline 5-20 for around $7 a qt from a wholeseller which that too, is likely better than Mazda. Want a lot of moly? Redline has it. Want a real synthetic, not a group III? Redline is made with ester/pao.
I think without coupons and deals, the most I have seen it go for is $9 a qt. I think Walmart has it in a jug for less.

It doesn't much matter to the engine if Redline is made from virgin unicorn tears, the engine responds to it's measurable properties, not what it started out as. A few thoughts on your comments:

Mazda GF-5 0W20 is over-priced? And then you compare it to an oil Redline 5W20 that has much higher cold start viscosity than desirable. First off, how do I purchase it for less than the Mazda GF-5? Please provide a link because a quick check shows most retailers selling it above $11/quart. Secondly, why not compare it to Redline 0W20, an oil with much more favorable cold start viscosity and more comparable to GF-5? Redline 5W20 acts more like a 30W oil in terms of cold start viscosities.

The cost of Redline 0W20 (comparing like viscosity ratings) is at least as expensive as the 5W20 and much more than the Mazda GF-5. Even buying it by the 55 gallon drum it's over $11/quart at the only place I saw offering it in bulk. I can get the GF-5 shipped to my door for under $8 in convenient quart bottles last time I purchased some. And I like that it's not over-loaded with zinc. For some reason Redline thinks if a little is good, a lot must be better. Zinc is very inexpensive, I doubt other oil manufacturers use far less zinc to save a fraction of a cent. It looks to me like it's the Redline that costs more than most people want to pay and yet that's what you slam the GF-5 for.

Makes no sense.

0W-20 has low viscosity. Mazda, along with several other car manufactures, recommends it because it will lower the friction threshold in the engine which will in turn give you better MPGs.

0W-20 has low viscosity. Mazda, along with several other car manufactures, recommends it because it will lower the friction threshold in the engine which will in turn give you better MPGs.

0W20 only has lower viscosity when cold (vs. 5W20). And cold oil is always too viscous for optimum engine protection so, the lower the cold viscosity, the better.

And you are correct, the move to lower viscosity oils is driven by the manufacturer's desire to increase efficiency. But there is an urban legend that this desire for efficiency has resulted in oils with too low of viscosity to offer excellent wear protection when hot. The fact is, every engine is designed optimally for a certain viscosity and the need to reduce fuel consumption has encouraged manufacturers to design engines to run on more efficient lubricants. Since viscosity changes with temperature, and because there is a limit to the range that a multi-viscosity oil can cover, climate is also a factor. In fact, the lower viscosity oils specified for modern engines actually reduce wear by flowing more readily at cold (start-up) temperatures which is when the bulk of engine wear happens while still offering more protection when hot than old-school 30W and 40W oils did on engines designed to run on higher viscosities.

It doesn't much matter to the engine if Redline is made from virgin unicorn tears, the engine responds to it's measurable properties, not what it started out as. A few thoughts on your comments:

Mazda GF-5 0W20 is over-priced? And then you compare it to an oil Redline 5W20 that has much higher cold start viscosity than desirable. First off, how do I purchase it for less than the Mazda GF-5? Please provide a link because a quick check shows most retailers selling it above $11/quart. Secondly, why not compare it to Redline 0W20, an oil with much more favorable cold start viscosity and more comparable to GF-5? Redline 5W20 acts more like a 30W oil in terms of cold start viscosities.

The cost of Redline 0W20 (comparing like viscosity ratings) is at least as expensive as the 5W20 and much more than the Mazda GF-5. Even buying it by the 55 gallon drum it's over $11/quart at the only place I saw offering it in bulk. I can get the GF-5 shipped to my door for under $8 in convenient quart bottles last time I purchased some. And I like that it's not over-loaded with zinc. For some reason Redline thinks if a little is good, a lot must be better. Zinc is very inexpensive, I doubt other oil manufacturers use far less zinc to save a fraction of a cent. It looks to me like it's the Redline that costs more than most people want to pay and yet that's what you slam the GF-5 for.

Makes no sense.

Actually, I have been comparing Penzoil pure to Mazda oil as I have been using penzoil in mazda. I think the problem you have with finding cheap redline is that you have been looking up prices from retail places. I get mine from a wholeseller that sells some of their oils (like Redline) to the public. The place is Interstate Oil in sparks, nv.
As for Mazda oil, it costs double what penzoil pure 0-20 cost. Why pay double for oil that has not demonstrated itself to be superior or even equal, to an oil that is half the cost?

Latest posts

Back