If you could change one thing...

For comparison: I know it's more expensive than a Mazda, but it's a target for them to shoot for.

Last edited:
Agreed. It doesn't have to be a/the 2.5T. That's the awesome thing with a turbo. If you want more power, just turn up the boost. Look at Honda and their 1.5T and 2.0T. They are each used in several cars and make several different HP numbers depending on the vehicle.

The 1.5T is in the Civic/SI/SportHatch, Accord, and CRV. In these cars, it makes 174hp [16.5 psi], 192hp [20.2 psi], and 205hp [20.3 psi/93 oct]. The Accord's 2.0T makes 252hp on 20.8psi, but the Type R's 2.0T makes 305hp [23.2 psi]. It is all about the tuning. I'd tell you about VW use of their 1.8t and 2.0t engines, but I don't have all day.

A 2.0T in the CX-5 with mild boost (14.7 psi/1 bar) would probably be spot on perfect. Sure, people are going to talk about lag and what not, but you can engineer that out with tuning and turbo/turbine size. There are tradeoffs and there will always be tradeoffs. Leave the 2.5T in the CX-9. Develop a 2.0T for the CX-5 and '3 and '6. Mazda can leave the 2.5NA motor as a nice solid base powerplant, but then turn it up a notch with a 2.0T and give consumers a choice.

Pretty much echoing my own sentiment here. I agree with a lot of you that I'd like more power, but I'm worried about how it would affect the mileage. Whoever was talking about mpg suffering above 70 I do agree with that, but I'm also doing mostly city driving so I'm afraid the extra power would just hurt my mpg. That being said if I had the option for a more powerful engine I would prob opt for it anyways. As Jeremy Clarkson says..."POWERRRRRR".

About ALH, I would love to have those as well but I can't for the life of me figure out why they aren't allowed in the US. Don't know why cost would be an issue.

Too expensive? That's not the reason. Someone around here educated me on why we can't have these. Cost wasn't the issue. And why would NHTSA or DOT care about what the cost is? Hmmm.... who was it that educated me about this... uh yea: YOU! :D

Little known fact: Canada doesn't allow them either.
https://www.thestar.com/autos/2017/01/14/making-the-case-for-adaptive-headlights-in-canada.html

We don't have a Canadian here, do we?
The Feds dont know what to make of Audis new LED headlamps

Regulations Slowdown U.S. Automotive Lighting Development

DOT in the Dark: American headlight regs are dimwitted

TOO BAD AUDI'S SWANKY NEW HEADLIGHTS AREN'T ALLOWED IN THE US

I agree with gutless on highway comment. I also agree that 85 is probably what a sedan should be driven not this lifted hatch. I remember with me and family flooring it at 75 mph and the needle barely moved. It did move after about 25 seconds to 80. very poor.
If Mazda can work with Toyota and bring the Rav4 Hybrid iAWD to its CX5 - it would be perfect. A good 35 mpg in city and maybe that extra bit of oomph on highway - a 205 hp and 215 lb-ft of torque would be perfect.
I dont even mind an inch of less ground clearance as this is mostly a city type lifted hatch.

Most people would say replace 2.5 NA with 2.5T

Agreed. I have had two CX5's and will not buy another unless they put WAY more power in (at least have an option). I want a 2.5T or I'll vote with my wallet and get something else. Love the vehicle but it's wimpy power. Mazda has lost it's ZOOM-ZOOM image.

I would like to see the led adaptive headlights like they have in the rest of the world where the high beams turn off certain leds to avoid blinding the oncoming driver.

Replace 2.5 NA with 2.5T

---------------------------

That's really the only option as Mazda does not make any other engine that is stronger than the 2.5T. Also Mazda has somewhat explained why they turbocharged the 2.5T instead of going with the downsizing engine/turbocharge trend. The reason if I'm not mistaken is that turbocharged downsized engines are only efficient at a certain range, which is where they get the best mpg. The 2.5T engine was made to be a responsive engine first, fuel efficiency was a secondary objective. Also you can sure as hell believe that the 2.5T engine is less stressed when putting the power down, than a 2.0T or worse a 1.5T engine.

1. 2.5T engine or engine making at least 210 hp and ~210-250 torque
2. More rear leg room.
3. climate control for second row.
4. CarPlay/AA
5. 8 speed transmission.
6. More color options.
7. panoramic sun roof.

Give me a decent infotainment system please.

I might have said diesel, but I'm tired of sounding like a broken record.

I agree with gutless on highway comment. I also agree that 85 is probably what a sedan should be driven not this lifted hatch. I remember with me and family flooring it at 75 mph and the needle barely moved. It did move after about 25 seconds to 80. very poor.

That's weird because Car and Driver claims a top speed of 130. It must have taken them a month to get there at the acceleration rate you're indicating!

@Iskie: what do you mean by the visor blocking the rearview?

When I pull down the visor to block the evening sun, it blocks my sight to the left side of the rearview mirror. I also bean myself when I try to swing it to the side to block the sun as i change directions.

That's weird because Car and Driver claims a top speed of 130. It must have taken them a month to get there at the acceleration rate you're indicating!
Single occupancy is different from family and cargo. Try with 4 adults and come back to let us know. It is gutless since its tuned for city driving.

If I could change one thing:

I ought to be able to buy the steering wheel cover without the airbag unit.

Since I scratched mine up really deeply, it would cost $600+ to repair due to the fact they don't sell without the airbag unit.

I've found non-OEM remanufactured covers on ebay and such, but they were all of poor quality.

I wish my 16’ GT CX5 had a more advanced gauge cluster. I miss the dot matrix LCD multifunction display I had on my previous VW. Simple things like a door or hatch is open... the display tells you which door. Right now I have a single indicator light, so I have to check every single door since it doesn’t tell you which one. I assume tire pressure warnings would be the same. My wife’s Nissan Pathfinder has a nice color LCD in between the gauges and not only does it show the car, it displays individual tire pressures, fuel consumption bar graph, etc.

Sure people ask for a turbo and more power would be a lot of fun, but I sold my VW for a reason. Once it hit 100k miles it became a money pit.

Kaps our resident comedian is exaggerating, but what he says is true. The CX-5 runs out of steam above 70 mph. A more powerful engine would be a welcome option.

Look at how much penalty 2018 Mazda6 has to pay on fuel economy for a 2.5L turbo: from 29/26/35 on a 2.5L to 26/23/31 combined/city/hwy on a 2.5T based on EPA estimates!

A 2.0T can easily achieves 227hp a 2.5T gets and matches the EPA FE estimates of a 2.5L with proper tuning and programming. And how difficult adding a turbo to an existing SA-G 2.0L with Mazda's experience of 2.5T? The most expensive expense may be to get it certified by EPA!
Not on Mazda's radar to add a turbo to the 2.0. Their prime reason for the 2.5T was the CX-9.

The 2.5T 6s figures from memory are not that far off the 2.5NA AWD CX-5 figures

Kaps our resident comedian is exaggerating, but what he says is true. The CX-5 runs out of steam above 70 mph. A more powerful engine would be a welcome option.

I don't doubt it. I've only driven on roads with a speed limit up to 60 so far so I've only had it up to about 70. And only me in it. Passengers have always been on back roads.

I actually almost switched to the Mazda 6 at the last second just because of the new turbo. But then I remembered I needed all wheel drive.

I'd take either one. CX-5 with turbo or Mazda 6 with AWD. Maybe in 3 years when my lease is up I'll have that option!

Back