First 1K - some thoughts

Not sure why you would think that, the car has a rev limiter so how can you damage it?
I red line mine often, that's what its there for.

Hi to all, I do not own a CX5, but I am here getting info and experiences from other members with the car, because my daughter will be buying one. Some members suggest redline the car once in a while. I think doing that could void any warranty, since the computers in the cars are black boxes and they keep a detailed info about your driving style.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure why you would think that, the car has a rev limiter so how can you damage it?

Indeed, besides when one redlines a car, in most cases it is on at that limit for a small time then it changes gear.

The only exception is if someone engages manual mode and deliberately decides to drive down the road redlining it in say 1st gear.

But even then X, it will shift for you. This pseudo manual control still has the computer keeping you in check. You cannot keep it there, it will shift out of that state.

But even then X, it will shift for you. This pseudo manual control still has the computer keeping you in check. You cannot keep it there, it will shift out of that state.

Is that right (scratch) I thought the manual shift overrides it.

Hmmm (uhm)

If you have rain then 4wd will be useful for traction.

My salesman talked me out of AWD, said I didn't need it in this part of the country. He was probably right, but I wondered if the drive was significantly different. Don't think I've ever had AWD, all I've ever driven before were trucks. My F250 is a FWD too - Four Wheeled Drive!

I had to take the wife to hospital on boxing day in the early morning hours 2am from memory, it was taking the ambulance at least 1 hour on average due to snow, only 4" on top of ice, but enough in the UK to cause havoc, lots of FWD stranded on the road side, one in a ditch. Our friends fwd Ford couldn't get traction so they ended up in a hotel overnight.

My AWD car on summer tyres got us there with out drama.

Since having a Audi Quattro in 1999 I have only driven AWD turbo cars.

You're joking, right? I read your reply on my phone and thought surely you lived in Texas or Arizona. So I had to check on the PC. Wisconsin?
AWD was kind of life changing for me (exaggeration). While me and my wife do still enjoy the "our not even that steep driveway has so much snow in it our FWD cars can't get in so we have to do the back-into-the-neighbors-driveway and floor it" game when we have her FWD car. Usually takes 3 or 5 tries. A few times couldn't even get all the way up by the garage so we call close to the door a minor victory.
It might be boring as hell to be able to just drive right in with my AWD CUV. 1st time. Every time. But it is nice.
I even backed in once on 5 inches of snow on top of ice.

Had to take the wife to the hospital once during a bad snow fall. FWD Saab got stuck in the plowed up street snow and the end of the driveway. Horrifying. An AWD CUV would have plowed right through.

Is that right (scratch) I thought the manual shift overrides it.

Hmmm (uhm)

Yes... in manual mode it will allow you to bring to the redline, but after ~10 seconds at redline(?) it realizes that you forgot to shift, and it will go ahead and up shift for you.

Little known fact, when talking about the MANUAL MODE....When the Mazda5 first came out in 2006, the Manual mode feature was responsible for a few car fires, as there were drivers who forgot to upshift, and who were on the highway pegging the tach at redline for miles... causing the exhaust systems to overheat and catch fire! Within several weeks, Mazda recalled all of the Mazda5's to change the shift logic of the MANUAL mode, and they added shielding to the body from the exhaust heat, and lowered the muffler from the body slightly...

Yes... in manual mode it will allow you to bring to the redline, but after ~10 seconds at redline(?) it realizes that you forgot to shift, and it will go ahead and up shift for you.

Little known fact, when talking about the MANUAL MODE....When the Mazda5 first came out in 2006, the Manual mode feature was responsible for a few car fires, as there were drivers who forgot to upshift, and who were on the highway pegging the tach at redline for miles... causing the exhaust systems to overheat and catch fire! Within several weeks, Mazda recalled all of the Mazda5's to change the shift logic of the MANUAL mode, and they added shielding to the body from the exhaust heat, and lowered the muffler from the body slightly...

Interesting.... I remember that recall... didn't hear about the detailed cause though.

My 80 year old father in law was dating this 70 year old lady who had a Subaru Impreza. They drove it roundtrip from Philadelphia to Boston. When they returned my father-in law said he hated the car because it was jerky and sounded like an airplane. He asked me to look at it for her. I quickly realized that they were driving it in manual mode and the car would require a red-line before it would shift out. They drove all the way to Boston (and back!) like that. In fact, she always drove it like that. The car only had ~10K miles over 5-6 years but boy, those are hard miles!

I think most cars in the last 25 years or so have rev limiters. Even my old '96 Ford Explorer had one.

Mazda RX-7 didn't have one :-D
Pretty sure RX-8 didn't either. They have a shift reminder buzzer. Scared the hell out of me the first time because I didn't know what it was. I want to say I went about 1k over the redline (8200 redline maybe?). It was first gear so it got up there QUICK.

Last edited:
So wait a sec. I've read about red-lining in an RX8 being good for the engine because it helps with carbon buildup do to the design of the engine. Rotarys make me want to (dance). Ahem, anyway, how would redlining our CX-5's be good for them? I always assumed that it just caused extra unnecessary strain on the engine.

Also, you haven't lived if you haven't driven a an RX7 or RX8. There's something magical about them.

Unnecessary strain? No. That's what I'm trying to get across. The car is designed to get close to redline. It's not harmful at all. You can't actually hit the redline. The car will shift before it hits that.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"I had to take the wife to hospital on boxing day"

The exception that proves the rule...

:)

This is good to know. A few times when I threw it into 4th coming down a long grade I forgot to put it into Drive at the bottom of the hill at the stop sign. The engine screamed as I drove off in 1st. I think it got up to almost 4000 rpm before I realized what I did and threw it back into drive. It's not a pretty sound, at least not with a stock exhaust.

Back