AWD Experience

Rarebit

Contributor
:
Mazda CX-5 2015 GT AWD
I will seldom drive my CX-5 off road, and seldom will again. But last week I avoided a 1 hour delay by turning out of a dead-stop traffic jam several miles long and driving through a deep ditch to a parallel road with zero traffic. Three 4wd vehicles did this before I tried it. 2 breezed through while the third got stuck and had to back out and try twice more before he got the right line. The CX-5 scooted through without wheel spin. That's the kind of performance that puts a smile on your face.

I will seldom drive my CX-5 off road, and seldom will again. But last week I avoided a 1 hour delay by turning out of a dead-stop traffic jam several miles long and driving through a deep ditch to a parallel road with zero traffic. Three 4wd vehicles did this before I tried it. 2 breezed through while the third got stuck and had to back out and try twice more before he got the right line. The CX-5 scooted through without wheel spin. That's the kind of performance that puts a smile on your face.
Just make sure don't drive through deep water or you may need a new rear differential. Unobtanium learned the lesson in the hard way! ;)

Just make sure don't drive through deep water or you may need a new rear differential. Unobtanium learned the lesson in the hard way! ;)

I think the lesson was to replace the diff oil after driving through water, preferably before the watered down oil freezes solid a month or so later.

I wonder if Unobtainium's rear diff vent line had a leak in it or it was entirely dislodged from where it connects to the rear body?

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-12%20at%204.16.43%20PM.png

I just crawled under mine and notice where rear diff vent line attaches to the body behind right side rear bumper above the tail-pipe. There would have been water intrusion into the rear body for that to suck water up but I think there are drains in that area so it is plausible that is where water was introduced to diff.

IMG_6043.png

I need to look into the accessibility of this cavity in the rear to the elements.

Thanks, unobtainium's misfortune was top-of-mind for me on that occasion. There was mud in the ditch but no water. [emoji56]

One would have to go under probably 20" of standing water to submerge the vent tube?

So is the danger submerging the differential or submerging the vent tube?

One would have to go under probably 20" of standing water to submerge the vent tube?

Even more... If it feels easy enough to pull out this weekend I might inspect to see if it it actually extends any measurable amount past the body termination point

Really not sure how water gets in there beyond a loose fill plug or the vent line.... if water depth was in the 14-22 inch range and intrusion occurred the line possibly had a hole in it.

I'd be curious if all '13-'15 CX-5s had wire loom like mine on the vent tube. If not...maybe an abrasion point was present?...just wild speculation...

I know Mazda advertised about the small amount of fluid in the rear diff... but I definitely put in more rear diff fluid when I changed it than came out. I filled to the diff line as per the FSM... probably just a red herring thought that maybe stock lubrication needs more fluid that what comes from factory. Although this rear diff failure is extremely rare from postings I have seen.

I know Mazda advertised about the small amount of fluid in the rear diff... but I definitely put in more rear diff fluid when I changed it than came out. I filled to the diff line as per the FSM... probably just a red herring thought that maybe stock lubrication needs more fluid that what comes from factory. Although this rear diff failure is extremely rare from postings I have seen.

Interesting. So when you did a fluid change the factory fill was BELOW the differential line?

Does the front have a differential or is it just part of the transaxle?

I will probably do a drain and fill on my AWD differential.

Interesting. So when you did a fluid change the factory fill was BELOW the differential line?

Does the front have a differential or is it just part of the transaxle?

I will probably do a drain and fill on my AWD differential.

I couldn't feel any fluid and I put in more than what factory specs calls for. Here is a good thread.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...nsfer-Case-Fluid-Change-tools-parts-and-links

I guess it is more of a transfer case up front.. same fluid front and rear.

Don't drive through any water. 10-12" is enough to flood the diff. Also, be very careful of your approach angles. The CX-5 sucks offroad because of that. I can barely navigate things that a Camry can handle, depending on circumstances. This is NOT a real SUV, in the classic sense. It's a car with a hatch instead of a trunk.

So is the danger submerging the differential or submerging the vent tube?

More like 10-12". Trust me, I've BTDT. If you submerge the diff, you've submerged the vent tube, and any wave/water motion (impossible to avoid, because the vehicle is moving...) that crests the top of the diff, will pour into the diff. It's a completely negligent design for an "SUV", but good enough for a "car".

I do have the 19" wheels but just measured.... 14" to vent line on top of diff and 22" to where vent line terminates at body connection in picture above.

There is no vent line. It's just a tube sticking up about 1" with a "hat" on top of it to prevent junk from falling into it.

I wonder if Unobtainium's rear diff vent line had a leak in it or it was entirely dislodged from where it connects to the rear body?

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-12%20at%204.16.43%20PM.png

I just crawled under mine and notice where rear diff vent line attaches to the body behind right side rear bumper above the tail-pipe. There would have been water intrusion into the rear body for that to suck water up but I think there are drains in that area so it is plausible that is where water was introduced to diff.

IMG_6043.png

I need to look into the accessibility of this cavity in the rear to the elements.

Dunno what you're looking at or where those came from, but that's not how the rear diff works. I saw it torn down with my own eyes, and I saw the actual dealership service dept. part codes/manuals. The rear-diff breather in your diagram is part 26-060. I just went out and physically confirmed. Yes, you have discovered a breather tube (for gods know what), but that is not the actual "breather".
http://www.mymazdapart.com/p/Mazda__cx-5/BREATHER/52416912/B39M26060.html

It's not even technically at the physical "peak" of the top of the diff for crying out loud.

You all be careful with your CX-5's. large puddles should make you nervous.

Last edited:
Unfortunately only listed rear diff breather I can find in the FSM so far....

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-12%20at%209.35.54%20PM.png

Admittedly once I saw this one I didn't look further... I would like to extend the short one if I can easily locate... hopefully not one of those impossible to reach locations.

Unfortunately only listed rear diff breather I can find in the FSM so far....

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-12%20at%209.35.54%20PM.png

Admittedly once I saw this one I didn't look further... I would like to extend the short one if I can easily locate... hopefully not one of those impossible to reach locations.

lay on your back, feet facing the tail-pipes. Reach your left hand around and over the top of the diff, slightly aft (or maybe fore, I forget) the axle. You will feel the little nubbin.

Back