CX-5 2021 - Mysterious Noise…Help

Hello! I have been having this issue since I purchased my car and the techs can't do anything about it without replicating the noise..

Background info: purchased the car in 2022 - It is a CX-5 2021 & had 10k miles when purchased. Within the first month of driving it; there was this noise that seems to be coming from the front right passenger side (either the dashboard or somewhere around there).

The noise: it is very inconsistent when it happens which is why the techs can not replicate the noise. The noise happens very randomly whether I'm on flat or bumpy road, windows up/down, AC on/off and I can be driving fast/slow speeds or on the freeway. I can drive through a certain road and the noise will occur then drive down it again and it won't. I have taken the car in twice but when they test-drove it; there is no noise. I have tons of videos of the noise but techs say they have to hear it themselves in person to be able to figure out what the issue is which is somewhat frustrating because the noise happens so randomly.

Is anyone having a similar noise issue? Or any suggestions? I added a couple of videos of the noise.

Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_0887.MOV
    22.8 MB
  • IMG_3422.MOV
    42 MB
  • IMG_3423.MOV
    17 MB
Certainly I can hear the clicking noises.
Have you tried to remove the glove compartment (very easy.. just pinch both sides to let it down) and see what is behind it.
That's what I would do first if I were you.
Make sure the passenger seat buckle is not hitting against the B-pillar.
(i.e. if you buckle up the passenger seat belt, is there still any noise?)

No dealers love to debug noises... they just play dumb and hope you go somewhere else.
Not much money to make even under warranty. Takes time to debug and cannot charge debugging labor to Mazda.

I had a similar noise on a previous VW GTi and it was related to the sun heating exterior panels.
I've noticed in each of your vids it's a sunny day.
Does it do it when it's cloudy or not sunny?

Another possibility is cowl bolts that need to be tightened...that's a common thing I've seen on here. if you aren't familiar, the cowl is beneath the windshield in the engine bay under the plastic tray that's beneath the wipers.

Certainly I can hear the clicking noises.
Have you tried to remove the glove compartment (very easy.. just pinch both sides to let it down) and see what is behind it.
That's what I would do first if I were you.
Make sure the passenger seat buckle is not hitting against the B-pillar.
(i.e. if you buckle up the passenger seat belt, is there still any noise?)

No dealers love to debug noises... they just play dumb and hope you go somewhere else.
Not much money to make even under warranty. Takes time to debug and cannot charge debugging labor to Mazda.
I’ll try the glove compartment & passenger seat belt!! I totally get because it’s under warranty they really don’t want to deal with it too much! Thanks for the suggestions.

I had a similar noise on a previous VW GTi and it was related to the sun heating exterior panels.
I've noticed in each of your vids it's a sunny day.
Does it do it when it's cloudy or not sunny?

Another possibility is cowl bolts that need to be tightened...that's a common thing I've seen on here. if you aren't familiar, the cowl is beneath the windshield in the engine bay under the plastic tray that's beneath the wipers.
Ooooo good point! I actually cannot recall if it has happened during the night/or when it’s cloudy! I’ll have to make note of that next time! Thank you! I’ll have someone try tightening the cowl bolts. Appreciate the response.

Back