Average MPG less than 20mpg, am I alone?

You do realize that using the 93-octane won’t give your more power unless you keep your engine running over 4,000 rpm all the time.

Here by releasing this official power curve on the 2.5T, Mazda wants to show “additional high-rpm performance is possible with higher octane”, and “to prevent unnecessary spending on premium fuel, both power ratings are published”.

View attachment 323545
oh I’m fully aware of that. That’s why I’m a frequent visitor of the above 4K curve. It’s a fun place to be ( a few seconds at a time that is).And the proof is in the pudding when it comes to better MPG. It is something that I can’t dispute.

2023 with CD-7k miles-last 800 miles i drove -75% fwy 25% city

Attachments

• B6A29639-7C02-4B90-AB7E-991C2AFE0C06.jpeg
    B6A29639-7C02-4B90-AB7E-991C2AFE0C06.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 46
You mean if we drove 50 / 50 hwy -city it averages 27 mpg thus 75/25 would be 28 mpg - 50% may have been down hill -- add 2 mpg -
I mean if the information display in the car says 30 mpg, I will get about 28 mpg if I calculate miles driven divided by gallons pumped. I have noticed this on many cars. My Nissan truck and our Audi Q5 were the same way.

I mean if the information display in the car says 30 mpg, I will get about 28 mpg if I calculate miles driven divided by gallons pumped. I have noticed this on many cars. My Nissan truck and our Audi Q5 were the same way.
I remember AUDI/VWs massive advertising campaign in which " Truth in Engineering. " was the tagline and shortly thereafter VW was busted for faking the diesel mileage results and that cost them BILLIONS of dollars in a class action lawsuit

Are you resetting the counter at each fill-up? Are you using the same pump every time? On my 6 the difference is usually within 1mpg

Are you resetting the counter at each fill-up? Are you using the same pump every time? On my 6 the difference is usually within 1mpg
Resetting, yes. Same pump every time, no. Kinda hard to do on road trips and local gas station is too busy to be "that guy" waiting on a specific pump.

Last edited:
Folks.
Let me be clear. The 33-33 mpg was an outlier that surprised me. I do regularly get 29-30 on the highway at 75 mph and my overall average since new is 26 even. That is with 17,400+ miles on it. My commute is long enough that the car warms up fully and is able to run efficiently due to that. If I was only going a few miles each way, then I would fully expect lower numbers.
Now we are getting somewhere. If you are at 26 overall, you are way closer to my average of 24 over the last 8k miles. That is within reason, considering different usage patterns. I drove several hundred miles this week, which included going over the Smokey Mountains, so my average of 26 for the trip doesn't seem so bad.

Now we are getting somewhere. If you are at 26 overall, you are way closer to my average of 24 over the last 8k miles. That is within reason, considering different usage patterns. I drove several hundred miles this week, which included going over the Smokey Mountains, so my average of 26 for the trip doesn't seem so bad.
did pretty well today. ~Just changed oil / tires @36psi- its literally 98% freeway - flat - 65-75mph - cold ( 56-43 degrees f )
- NA of course - CD kicked in a good 35% of the 54 miles

Attachments

• DBD08704-9865-421B-92DB-FAF14EE3A698.jpeg
    DBD08704-9865-421B-92DB-FAF14EE3A698.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 42
I know my turbo won't get close to the NA motor in MPG, but it sure was nice to have the extra power over the mountain.

I know my turbo won't get close to the NA motor in MPG, but it sure was nice to have the extra power over the mountain.
Yes , its definitely a trade off - I like driving .....and passing at over 70Mph needs to be calculated carefully- - It seems like about 210 hp would be a nice compromise - ?
----60+ hp is quite a bit more - Would be nice to have a turbo on / off switch -
This is above avg - last 160 miles - 70mph ( you can see ) 481 range- flat as a pancake

Attachments

• 37739F59-DC4D-4AF7-8AAD-9FD0A82E3819.jpeg
    37739F59-DC4D-4AF7-8AAD-9FD0A82E3819.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Followed the speed limit pretty closely and coasted into stop lights when possible, but this is the same MPG my mom's 2014 Forte gets on the same route to the UP. I also have Blizzaks on. The drive into my town (Duluth) from Superior took off a healthy 2 MPG in the last 10 minutes of the journey. But I find it hard to complain.
IMG_5852.jpeg
IMG_5851.jpeg

On a highway trip from ABE area in Pa to Ocean City Md., 2016 CX5, no CD.

IMG_20191010_080242058.jpg

Followed the speed limit pretty closely and coasted into stop lights when possible, but this is the same MPG my mom's 2014 Forte gets on the same route to the UP. I also have Blizzaks on. The drive into my town (Duluth) from Superior took off a healthy 2 MPG in the last 10 minutes of the journey. But I find it hard to comp
It appears you have about 140K miles --which means you take SUPERIOR care of your 5 --It all seems to add up- tires ( and tire pressure checks regularly ) , oil changes , road conditions , etc --I would say - Top job there at 34 mpg !!!!

Followed the speed limit pretty closely and coasted into stop lights when possible, but this is the same MPG my mom's 2014 Forte gets on the same route to the UP. I also have Blizzaks on. The drive into my town (Duluth) from Superior took off a healthy 2 MPG in the last 10 minutes of the journey. But I find it hard to complain.View attachment 324485View attachment 324486
This seems to add about 1mpg - placebo mpgs of course - but they use it on aircraft and it makes a huge difference in fuel consumption-USE GLOVES 983A3B69-8F49-4046-98EF-3A05DC451190.jpeg
My car wash frequency went down by a factor of 10

Last edited:
I switched from Meguires' Hybrid Ceramic to this and like it much more. It does not leave streaks like Meguires'. Great stuff!
Never tried meguiers - -except their headlight treatment which worked well-

but this( Hybrid ceramic ) goes on easy if I follow wet application followed by a dry buff micro rag - even on the glass - wipes clear -so I just sprayed it over everything , lights , trim etc - all came up aces - about $15-17 per bottle ( about three- four full body applications)- I put my phone on the hood a few days later and it slid off like it was on ice - I went 2500 miles and found three gnats which were hanging on the front bumper...I flicked them off with my finger --that was the first car wash -- the windshield...dirtier on the inside than the outside -- I seriously dont know why this miracle stuff hasent caught on more--I dont see a car wash for longer than an oil change- Its like a bulletproof coat of armor- that feels like silky crystal --- This photo was after the third trip which was near 2500 miles - Tires are dirty - but hey thats ok( do not put on rims !)

Attachments

• ECA503D0-7F48-4BE8-BF4E-692733C346FB.jpeg
    ECA503D0-7F48-4BE8-BF4E-692733C346FB.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Never tried meguiers - -except their headlight treatment which worked well-

but this( Hybrid ceramic ) goes on easy if I follow wet application followed by a dry buff micro rag - even on the glass - wipes clear -so I just sprayed it over everything , lights , trim etc - all came up aces - about $15-17 per bottle ( about three- four full body applications)- I put my phone on the hood a few days later and it slid off like it was on ice - I went 2500 miles and found three gnats which were hanging on the front bumper...I flicked them off with my finger --that was the first car wash -- the windshield...dirtier on the inside than the outside -- I seriously dont know why this miracle stuff hasent caught on more--I dont see a car wash for longer than an oil change- Its like a bulletproof coat of armor- that feels like silky crystal --- This photo was after the third trip which was near 2500 miles - Tires are dirty - but hey thats ok( do not put on rims !)
I use Armor All Ceramic car wash to give it a little 'booster' when I wash between applications of the Turtle Wax. I apply with a cheap foam cannon. I only apply the Turtle Wax 2X per year.

Back