Highest Mileage Skyactiv Engine?

Yeah I don't have a lot of faith in all the "lifetime fluid" claims. The car is currently at about 35k miles, I'll probably do a drain and fill sometime between now and 50k miles.

According to Mazda, never. According to people on this forum, whatever they do is best. According to historical data, no SkyActiv automatic transmissions have had failures due to failed fluid, and we now can see examples with over 200K miles on them.

I look at fluid the way I look at a barrel on my rifle.

Does my barrel wear? Yes.
Does the wear on my barrel affect accuracy and function? Technically yes.
Do I change the barrel on my rifle after 5 or 10K rounds? No. I have also never had it fail to put a bullet where I asked it to.

Could you bore-scope my rifle and show me gas port wear and so forth that is meaningful in appearance and measurement? yes.

Gun still shoots though...

That's kindof how I view this fluid business. Yes the fluid wears. Yes you can show it "with math". Yes, the transmission still functions just fine.

I'll use your metaphor. You clean the barrel between each trip to the range to get the residue out. I'll leave it there (sssh)

I'll use your metaphor. You clean the barrel between each trip to the range to get the residue out. I'll leave it there (sssh)

Yes, but I also have friends that burn barrels out and never clean them. They run fine, and I accept that.

I just wanted to let u guys know there are cars these years in the 200k club. Im not suggesting that u keep the original fluid. I have bc I waited til the mileage was high and decided just to keep running it. This car is a work car for me. I travel with my job and its nothing for the car to run two or three tanks all highway before any city driving is done. It probably has less hours on it than some cars do at 100k. It definitely has less cold starts and less shifts.

Lol, youre good DSG. Just poking the bear (Unob) :D

I'm doing mine soon, after I replace some other parts. I ring my engine everytime I drive it and as a habit usually leave first in high rpm or wot shift since the engine is small. Those considered indo my oil around 3k and the flush ill do twice with new filter.

I know this thread is getting old.. but if anyone is wondering 225k miles is possible. I know for a fact. 😃

Congrats!
What year?

I had a 1990 Volvo that was on the cusp of 200k before encountering one of Bambi's progeny.
Didn't burn a drop of oil.

I know this thread is getting old.. but if anyone is wondering 225k miles is possible. I know for a fact. ��

Nice! What broke along the way? Any maintenance areas in particular that required more attention than usual?

Nothing has broke yet. Just routine stuff that I have changed. Battery, plugs, shocks, struts, brakes, rotors... I plan to change the water pump and timing chain soon.

Nothing has broke yet. Just routine stuff that I have changed. Battery, plugs, shocks, struts, brakes, rotors... I plan to change the water pump and timing chain soon.
Shocks and Struts were preventive or they needed to be changed?

After 3 years and 33K miles I am not worried about the drivetrain - the rest of the car's build quality is another issue.

After 3 years and 33K miles I am not worried about the drivetrain - the rest of the car's build quality is another issue.

I change them with every other set of tires. That way the tires wear good and the car rides good. Im sure the originals would have been worn out well before now.

That's super low miles. My 2015 had no issues, though, other than the fuel pump, out to past 100K miles.

I change them with every other set of tires. That way the tires wear good and the car rides good. Im sure the originals would have been worn out well before now.

That would have been a good strategy 50 years ago when shocks sucked. It might not be necessary now.

But I'm of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school.

That would have been a good strategy 50 years ago when shocks sucked. It might not be necessary now.

Yeah I am on my third set (counting factory) of all-season tires. So far still good.

I agree with not fixing it til its broken. If I didnt have to drive so far I wouldnt care about replacing them. Just dont want to ruin new tires, and they dont cost a whole lot if u put them on yourself. If I was only driving local I would probably do things differently.

Back