Protege Projector retrofit thread

Oh, that's starting to scare me. I would consider painting them, But I can see myself breaking something lol. I'll order my set Friday if they are having that huge sale, and look at them in person

Don't be scared, just pointing out something i failed to realize (So my passenger projector has a bit of a hill slope off to the sides in my miata)

I didn't realize it till it was too late, so just test before final assembly

Had to make this pic visible because it's amazing

whitedemon029.jpg

Nuts and bolts! Well, save the fiberglass shrouds I made. They are good in covering the projector, for TLs and maybe others. And when cutting the reflector bowls go little by little, I learned the hard way, had to find new headlight reflectors.

For the minis, the e46 and iris shrouds from TRS has a flat edge, the might help, but in reality you could us any shroud, only that some cutting may be necessary.

Thanks bud! Once these are done, I get to oen the Tl's to see how you did em

Oh and painted, but still unsure on a shroud for the mini
7d81a61d2b6a90f16d02f76fd3634ce5_zpse4b8966a.jpg

ec967a4bfaa2257993925835b1d95627_zpsdfc7ff97.jpg

Also cut the holes too bigs so I also get to try to cove r the visible jb weld

But good news is both projectors are mounted and are parallel and look properly spaced but I won't know for sure till they're mounted on the car

Last edited:
My Mini H1 Retro-fits

Pics of my HID proj retro's:

Attachments

• IMG_4547.JPG
    IMG_4547.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_4548.JPG
    IMG_4548.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_4549.JPG
    IMG_4549.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_4550.JPG
    IMG_4550.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_4551.JPG
    IMG_4551.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 372
Love the retro! Digging the chrome lipas well

Jdm, you get a set from 808?

What HID's do you have? Like what temp? I love the color of your fogs.

And great retrofit, looking awesome.

Thank you guys for the positive feedback.

Morimoto Mini H1 Ver 5.0 with mini-gatling shrouds painted flat black but left the front tip chrome. Ballasts are also same brand with power harness all from The Retrofit Source (TRS). H1:Morimoto 3Five 6000k and H3C: Morimoto 3Five 6000k for the fog lights

Last edited:
Jdm, you get a set from 808?
I took advantage of TRS's black Friday sale. Bought myself Mini H1's, mini Gatling shroud, and 4300 H1 bulbs. Not going to open it until Christmas. Going to paint my housing and shrouds gunmetal with Dupli-Color's Blackout chrome kit, paint my reflective lens satin black, and color match the cutoff shield midnight blue

Alright alright! Gonna do it yourself eh?

Can I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest something? When you bake the lights apart, try to remove the grey glue and reseal the lights when you're done with new butyle you can get from the local auto parts store (Black window sealant) to prevent condensation issues later (I've spoken with multiple people with that problem from other guys doing their lights)

Also tip 2, as soon as the lights are apart, wrap the lens with seran wrap so no dust gets inside because wiping the inside of the lens off could lead to scratches.

Another pointer if you're painting the shields themselves, verify at a distance of 25 feet or greater that the cutoff is still sharp and colorful after putting the painted shield back in (JUST in the off chance you may have bent the shield)

I'm not trying to scare you, just giving some pointers i've picked up along the way

Oh and only paint the front of the cutoff shield. I painted the backs on the Miata retro and they kept stickingto itself until it finally heat cycled so many times.

Hello, my first post here. My name is Brian. Just recently got my hands on a 02 P5. Question is: will retrofitted projectors from a 03 protege sedan fit my p5 that already is equipped with hids from the previous owner? Reason being I am getting them as an even trade. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
The sedan headlights are a direct swap.

As to getting them to work, what projectors are they? I ask to know what bulb and how you'll be able to wire in the high beams

You shoud be able to use your current ballasts

Back