Protege Projector retrofit thread

JDM_Pro5

:
2002 Proteg5
Has anyone installed the Morimoto mini H1 Gatling 2.0 shrouds? Most everyone has the Gatling shrouds and they look good. I see the Gatling 2.0 are a bit bigger and I'm curious how they look in a P5 headlight.

i've seen them in sedan headlights but not in the P5 lights.

I'm contemplating ordering a set of the 2.0s for the low beam spot and using the minis in the high beams (I already have minis)

from the mazdaspeed projector headlight thread

mini's
20121107_173935.jpg

2.0's
ProjectorHeadlight.jpg

Last edited:
The 2.0's look much bigger. I just got off the phone with the retrofit source. The guy wasn't very sure on the dimension. The website says the Gatling shroud has a 120mm base. It says the Gatling 2.0 has a 120mm base and an 85mm front, making it seem like it just gets smaller in the front giving it more depth. I'm not sure if the 2.0 will fit in a P5 headlight since it has a smaller area than the sedan headlight. I'm thinking if the base of the 2.0 is larger, it may interfere with the curvature of the reflective lens in the back

I was planning on running the Morimoto Mini H1's in the low beam with one of the Gatling shrouds (depending on what fits) and leaving the high beam as is or removing the bulb

What do you think?

jdhSaW97AnEL0.jpg

The 2.0's look much bigger. I just got off the phone with the retrofit source. The guy wasn't very sure on the dimension. The website says the Gatling shroud has a 120mm base. It says the Gatling 2.0 has a 120mm base and an 85mm front, making it seem like it just gets smaller in the front giving it more depth. I'm not sure if the 2.0 will fit in a P5 headlight since it has a smaller area than the sedan headlight. I'm thinking if the base of the 2.0 is larger, it may interfere with the curvature of the reflective lens in the back

I was planning on running the Morimoto Mini H1's in the low beam with one of the Gatling shrouds (depending on what fits) and leaving the high beam as is or removing the bulb

What do you think?

jdhSaW97AnEL0.jpg

I recently installed the Mini H1's 5.0 with the mini-gatling shrouds. I painted the LB reflector bowl, frame and also painted the shroud flat black but left the front tip chrome. I went with the mini-gatling shroud due to it being a direct bolt-on to the HID's. Don't have pics to post. Sorry. Will try over the weekend. You can also check out this thread: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123764337-How-To-Retrofit-HID-projectors-into-P5-headlights/page18

^Very nice. I'm going to play it safe and get the Gatling shrouds and not the Gatling 2.0 due to a fear of fitment issues.

In other news, my OEM floormats are shot. I noticed the Mazda patch on the passenger floormat is hanging by a single thread. I may eventually upgrade to nice weather mats, but of the time being...who cares? I put my dirty shoes on them

^Jackpot!!!

*edit

Just got off the phone with them. Those power harnesses go with the fog setup. It's for the H9 setup.

They basically have for sale;

ballasts, bulbs, fog lights and fog harnesses

2isi6iw.jpg

Last edited:
their last garage sale they had all sorts of projectors for sale, this time it's just bulbs/ballasts/harnesses

I want a small set of projector fogs to put in my msp lip and hide behind the grill/fog deletes. Hopefully they will stay black/stealth mode and only be visible when on. have you had any luck fitting any in your wife's car with the current lip? I know you have a set in the mid grill

^True dat. Anyone is favor of starting it? I would like to keep my questions and pictures of of this thread, it just happens to default as a thread for all P5 questions

there is a "Mazdaspeed Projector Headlight" thread in the MSP section

as to projectors in the MSP lip fog deletes, negative on that, but i also havn't tried. We like the fogs in the middle grille vs trying to cram them in the fog deletes

Also, you'd have to come up with some sort of bracket to mount them. I have them mounted to the crash bar currently in the middle grille

I can make a bracket and make it work, I just wanted something that would fit in that space. I would be fine with a nice LED setup. Not really going for full foglight function, just want some lights down there

if you're just wanting some sort of light down there, i DID get the $18 walmart lights to fit

DSC01486.jpg

DSC01488.jpg

DSC01485.jpg

DSC01484.jpg

DSC01483.jpg

DSC01487.jpg

Never did wire them up though

edit: After looking at those pics again, i bet you could get those fog lights that TRS is selling for $20 a pair to fit nicely on the fog delete

34siaeh.jpg

Last edited:
^That's what I was thinking. I would have to buy the fog assembly, the bulbs, the harness, and the ballasts. I don't know if I want to commit or not

*edit

I called back and asked about what was available for the whole kit.

The Projectors are on sale for $20, the Harnesses are $5.

I would have to get H9 bulbs (They only have one for sale, not a whole pair)

and I would still need ballasts...I'm going to wait. I'm going to buy my Morimoto H1 mini set in the next few weeks. I can focus on fogs later and run something cheap in the mean time

Last edited:
they have "generic" ballsts as well for cheap

and FYI, hold off till black friday to buy anything other than their garage sale stuff. No one has leaked anything except that to hold off on buying any complete kits

oh one other thing, there are rumors of a new Matchbox projector from TRS that is bixenon AND completely sealed

here's a size comparison
Morimoto%20Matchbox%20Projectors-0463l.jpg

Wow, thanks for all the helpful tips. That matchbox is super small!!! You can see all of the light gate components through the lens. That would be great for fog lights. I woner what the output and angle of the beam will be on a smaller lens. Might be the same since the radius/curvature of the lens seems higher than the larger lenses

you can see the solinoid as well on the mini H1 as well, it's just the angle it's setting at

and it's not terrible (I woulnd't use them as a main beam) but as a foglight, they'd be perfect (Plus they have a high beam)

You could do the foglight mod so they cutoff at will, wire those like your bi-xenon lowbeams, and then with a flick of the highbeam switch, turn night time into daytime. that would be killer!

That matchbox looks sexy and I have been thinking about moving to fogs in the side MSP lip grilles.

Someone please start a general projector thread! I'll take pics of my retro rebuild once my canadian headlights get here.

Back