Protege Projector retrofit thread

Hoping to order myself Morimoto H1 minis with the Gatling shroud for Christmas. Going to paint the headlight housing and shroud gunmetal using Advance Auto's gunmetal kit. Going to satin blackout the low beam reflective lens and maybe the headlight housing between the high and low beam (Two triangles) if it's not too difficult and worth it. I'll most likely leave the high beam as-is. I color editing a picture of JT's retrofit to get an idea of the finished product

image007.jpg

gah. . . after seeing the P5 lights with Gatlings, i think those will fit the bill better with CCFL's than the GTI-R's will

I've got quad mini gatlings already, but i might order a set of 2.0's for the outers and minis for the inside

Gatling 2.0 has a larger light vent and would definitely be better suited for CCFL's. I know it can work in a sedan. Do you think the P5's smaller lowbeam will handle a gatling 2.0?. The reflective lens in the back of the lowbeam is smaller than the reflective lens in the sedan. I don't know if the curvature is any different. If the shroud rests against the reflective lens in the back, a larger shroud may sit farther forward since it will be hitting different parts of the reflective lens that are curve farther forward. I hop I'm making sense

That totally makes sense. I really wish we had more ideas of what fits in the P5 housing without cutting. I would love to rock a Gatling 2.0 or G37R ...

^good god almighty my pants are tight. I know you were tinting the lenses red. That whole look is damn sexy

Sticky Notes FTW. Not sure the measurements on the shrouds or the P5 reflective lens vs the Sedan Lens. The website has different measurements giving the mini shroud a diameter of 120mm and a height. The website gives the 2.0 shroud a 120mm rear diameter and a 80mm front diameter. I know for a fact the base of the 2.0 is wider than the gatling

jb2mx7ccEsLx7b.jpg

the problem i've got with the mini in the low beam is there is no way the mini gatling is going to cover the E46 projector

77f5b5bcd9ba12e45fe2e568cc3981b5.jpg

Are you putting the mini projectors in the parking light cylinder?

20121115_181938_zpsa509736f.jpg

BTW, love the legos and the Xbox power supply for testing

Last edited:
nope, the minis will be in the high beams

Parking lamp will stay "mostly" unmodified. I'll be keeping the incandescent bulb for parking/turn signal but i'll be installing a 60mm XB Led halo around the outside (inside the clear lens) to operate as a DRL but will shut off when parking lamps or headlights are on

I was going to say, you should totally put the projector in the parking light spot and use the highbeam spot as a parking light/turn signal. Might look funky though. Are DTRL's required in Florida?

nope, but i'll take all the visibility i can get

It made a HUGE difference in people pulling out in front of me in the miata

but your idea is sounding more like a mazda6 looking headlight lol

Cuts complete
20121117_164753_zpsace75321.jpg

Test fit both projectors

20121117_164716_zps6b117010.jpg

But I'm having a shroud issue. Can't use the same shroud for high and low

20121117_171127_zpsea079e9e.jpg

Thanks bud! Once these are done, I get to oen the Tl's to see how you did em

Oh and painted, but still unsure on a shroud for the mini
7d81a61d2b6a90f16d02f76fd3634ce5_zpse4b8966a.jpg

ec967a4bfaa2257993925835b1d95627_zpsdfc7ff97.jpg

Also cut the holes too bigs so I also get to try to cove r the visible jb weld

But good news is both projectors are mounted and are parallel and look properly spaced but I won't know for sure till they're mounted on the car

Last edited:
Oh, very cool. Thought maybe the lens was colored with some sort of tinted spray. Didn't think the cutoff sheild would make that huge of a difference. Is there any trouble removing and re installing the cutoff shield. spring problems?

not any problems, just be sure you know how it goes back together before taking it aprt

only suggestion is to be VERY aware of how much pressure you're applying to the cutoff shield because if you bend it one way or the other, it'll make the cutoff no longer straight but rather either happy or sad faced arcing in a bowl or a hill

Latest posts

Back