Protege Projector retrofit thread

Actually, If I do the quad setup, I might do a fog delete. However, I do have a spare set of Depo projectors I pulled from my madre's old Neon. They're LB only, but they would work great in the fog spot... and they were free.

Just be aware cops might bug you for having more than 4 lights on at a time

^Right

I'm trying to make some custom fogs that hide behind my fog deletes. More for illumination than anything. MX-P5 and I have been brainstorming *queue maniacal laughter*

The cops around here can just bugger off. I'm surrounded by rednecks that love their lightbars... on at stupid times. I'm leaning towards the quad bi-xenon without fogs though. I'm just excited.

hey guys quick question... what does a bad ballast sound like, i think i might have one... When I unplug from ballast while lights are still on i get a clicking sound, but when i did it to the one headlight still working it powered the hid with a hum... does the clicking sound indicate a bad ballast thanks

hey guys quick question... what does a bad ballast sound like, i think i might have one... When I unplug from ballast while lights are still on i get a clicking sound, but when i did it to the one headlight still working it powered the hid with a hum... does the clicking sound indicate a bad ballast thanks

what kind of ballasts are you running? also....unplugging hid's while they are running can harm the ballast and the bulb, so be careful...

The hum is normal, depending on the volume. After everything warms up, it should fade out a little. But the clicking is not normal. It sounds like the igniter for the bulb possibly shorting out or something. I would recommend replacing the ballast before it damages the bulb.

I'm running 55W DDM slim ballasts with a harness. The bulbs don't last as long (one is starting to fade, purchasing new ones this week), but the quality is excellent and the ballasts fit nicely on the bottom side of the headlight housing.

The hum is normal, depending on the volume. After everything warms up, it should fade out a little. But the clicking is not normal. It sounds like the igniter for the bulb possibly shorting out or something. I would recommend replacing the ballast before it damages the bulb.

I'm running 55W DDM slim ballasts with a harness. The bulbs don't last as long (one is starting to fade, purchasing new ones this week), but the quality is excellent and the ballasts fit nicely on the bottom side of the headlight housing.

I'm running flea bay ballast, but if it'll hurt the bulb possibly should I unplug it until I get another ballast set?

I'm running flea bay ballast, but if it'll hurt the bulb possibly should I unplug it until I get another ballast set?

are the bulbs inexpensive, or came with the ebay ballasts? I wouldnt worry about ruining them. I would look into ddm tuning for a cheap solution. Get new ballasts and new bulbs for like 35 bucks and swap em out when they arrive.

are the bulbs inexpensive, or came with the ebay ballasts? I wouldnt worry about ruining them. I would look into ddm tuning for a cheap solution. Get new ballasts and new bulbs for like 35 bucks and swap em out when they arrive.

Bulbs are fine... I would need to get this fixed ASAP as its my daily and can't go the 3 weeks you wait for the ddms

Bulbs are fine... I would need to get this fixed ASAP as its my daily and can't go the 3 weeks you wait for the ddms

This is true, DDM does take forever. Especially if they don't have the parts in their U.S. "warehouse." My 55W kit shipped from China... I was pissed. However, bulbs are pretty cheap no matter where you get them. If you can, swap out for halogen bulbs until you get a new ballasts. I always keep a set in my glovebox just in case I lose a bulb or ballast.

Basically, order a new ballast (or just a new kit if the funds are available) and keep an eye on the problematic ballast.

^ exactly. I keep spare bulbs for headlights and tail lights with me. Halogen bulbs are an easy swap. I do keep an extra set of HID lights at the house though so I don't have to wait for an order to arrive. Stay one step ahead of the game. It's also good to keep taillight bulbs on you. No telling if you burn out a brake lights. Cops wont give you a ticket if you say you can fix it Now!

Well this is weird... It's started working again, idk what I did but it works... Will be ordering extra ballasts though, and I do have spare d2s hid bulbs... Thanks for all your help

0eabbb24.jpg
84a2e446.jpg
2bb34376.jpg
morimoto mini d2s with cut down gatling gun 2.0 shrouds, the rest painted titanium to match the car

Finally a good shot of my retrofit.

Morimoto Mini H1
Mini Gatling shrouds painted with black chrome paint
OEM Canadian black housings
Yellow high beams (for now - either going HIR or LED in the future)

8514465411_e9224a7f08_o_zps02586b03.jpg

Love that shot Chris! Any clue what lens they were using?

Retro looks pretty neat with the reflector lens/bowl still chrome. Also, you might want to remove your side molding (Not that it needs it) just looks cool

Love that shot Chris! Any clue what lens they were using?

Retro looks pretty neat with the reflector lens/bowl still chrome. Also, you might want to remove your side molding (Not that it needs it) just looks cool

Looked at the exif data of the original file: EF35mm f/1.4L USM on a 5D mk2

I'm scared of the paint not matching and/or pulling paint if I pull the side moldings. If I ever get a respray, they will definitely be removed.

Thanks for the info and quick response. I understand your worries and woes of the side molding. I have that problem. My front end was repainted before and they sprayed right over the molding. When removed, it left an edge. However, it looks fine more than 5 feet away.

Little note, the people that painted my frint end (bumper/hood) mixed the paint wrong and it chipped bad, that's why it chipped around the side molding

http://i.minus.com/jbbjIc5UEgXD2y.JPG

Last edited:
Back