How To: iPod integration w/ Text

Well mine is installed, I have the cable coming up through the center console, I don't really store anything in there so I have my ipod in there ... this thing rocks!

oh... and thanks for the good how-to... I'm about to do this myself - plan to put the iPod in the upper part of my center console - and these pictures will help

Cheers,

PeteH

hey guys! i'm definitely interested in doing this ipod upgrade stuff. my stereo isn't the mp3 model thou, does that mean no text for me? also, nobody mentioned the iphone yet! that's the reason i wanna do this. i want to put my iphone up top in that map box crap. then i can use it for iphone nav too. also, does this integrator charge the ipod while its hooked up or do u need a secondary charger? Wannabe, you've been answering these questions for over a year, so i'm looking to u buddy.

hey guys! i'm definitely interested in doing this ipod upgrade stuff. my stereo isn't the mp3 model thou, does that mean no text for me? also, nobody mentioned the iphone yet! that's the reason i wanna do this. i want to put my iphone up top in that map box crap. then i can use it for iphone nav too. also, does this integrator charge the ipod while its hooked up or do u need a secondary charger? Wannabe, you've been answering these questions for over a year, so i'm looking to u buddy.

nope. this works for just about every mazda, regardless of the radio (just not nav i think)

Thanks man. i went on that rpm website and it says that for the Axxess, any ipod or iphone 3g purchased after sept 8,2008 will not charge with the included wiring, just play.

i'm gonna go ahead and order anyway just for s**** and giggles and see what happens.

if people are interested, i'll throw some pics up of my progress. hopefully kill 50 birds with the iphone stone.

"Would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?"
(Sorry, couldn't help it!)

Anyways, good find!! An ipod interface that uses the MEDIA button?? (After all, wouldn't that make sense, since there's MEDIA on an ipod, and not SATELLITE RADIO??!) So much for my AuxMod plans to plug my Sirius S50 into it using the Media input, and the ipod into the Sat input using whatever other interface is available. And 2 thumbs up for the text alone! One reason I'm keeping my factory head-unit (and just the head unit!) is to have the display closest to my view of the road. I guess the milk in Mazda's ipod kit has gone bad with the 4 thumbs down. (Nyuk.)

Nothing like some Yuengling and Twisted Sister on a hot summer day! Crank it up, brother! (rockon)

I have just two questions, where do you put the white plastic axess interface box? And if you turn off the car with the ipod plugged in will the ipod eventually turn off or drain the battery? thanks

I have just two questions, where do you put the white plastic axess interface box? And if you turn off the car with the ipod plugged in will the ipod eventually turn off or drain the battery? thanks

the iPod turns off when you turn the car off. i had originally placed the Axxess box behind the climate controls, kinda just under the radio. after a couple months i started getting a random issue where the music wouldn't play and the iPod wouldn't go into "axxess" mode, the fix is just unplug and re-plug at the axxess box, so i moved it to behind the glove box.

I managed to squeeze mine in the space under the CD player where the tape playyer would go. Probably a bad idea since the cable and connectors are squeezed and kinked like crazy, but no problems yet. Thanks for the help

Guys, I am trying to understand how the Axxess ipod integration kit compares to the Audio Link ipod integration kit shown here http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=4274855

It appears they both do Text, but it looks like the AudioLink hooks up to SAT port (and audio is then accessed via the SAT button), and Axxess hooks up to TAPE/MD expansion port via a circuit board (and audio is then accessed via the MEDIA button).

Any other feedback on the two? The sticky thread on stereo upgrade didn't have specifics on the Axxess kit, so I was surprised to find this as a seperate thread. 06 MazdaSpeed6 here.

Thanks!

first off, your link is broken.

second, the AudioLink only displays folder and track numbers. so, it will break down your iPod into multiple numbered folders (playlists i believe) and tell you which one you are in, and which track number. The axxess unit will tell you the name of the playlist, and the ID3 tag info off the actual song (artist, track)

also, i updated the sticky to include this, i didn't realize it wasn't there.

so with the Axxess unit. Can you have more then like 6 playlists?

I got the Grom for my Protege5 but looking for one for the Mazda 6 that my wife has.

I am not sure, but I will throw more than 6 playlists on mine tonight and I will get bakc to you on that :) btw, the verision I have the cable I have does not work with the 4th gen nano (Tried my wife's nano) .. so hopefully they have a new ipod cable out for the axxess for the 4th gen nano's.

so with the Axxess unit. Can you have more then like 6 playlists?

I got the Grom for my Protege5 but looking for one for the Mazda 6 that my wife has.

yeah, it will play all of the playlists on your iPod, or you can select an artist on the iPod, plug it in, and it will play just that artist, same thing with genre/album/etc.

basically, when you first plug it in, it starts playing whatever you were last playing on the iPod before you put it in the car. if you werent playing anything, it just starts at the beginning of your library. if you use the disc up/down buttons you'll move through the playlists in alphabetical order. if you want to go back to what you were listening to before, you actually have to unplug it, change it, and plug it back in.

the iPod turns off when you turn the car off. i had originally placed the Axxess box behind the climate controls, kinda just under the radio. after a couple months i started getting a random issue where the music wouldn't play and the iPod wouldn't go into "axxess" mode, the fix is just unplug and re-plug at the axxess box, so i moved it to behind the glove box.

Im think i am having the same issue. Every time i turn the radio off either the ipod wont go into axess mode or the radio wont recognize the ipod and nothing will happen when you press the media button. It works after i unplug and replug the box, but this is very annoying because it happens everytime. Did you ever get yours to stop?

FYI to iPhone users:

I just got off the phone with Metra. Apparently the iPhone3G (I assume the same is true of the original iPhone) will not function as a phone (or any other communication device) when it is plugged in. It will only function as an iPod.

No incoming or outgoing calls/txts/etc!! :( There's no way I'm getting this now.

Any iPhone users have a recommendation for the best adaptor?

Back