How To: Rewire Fogs For Always On

Rewired the fogs

ok here are the pics of my fog light rewire for "On with Parking lights"!!!

Attachments

• IMAG0056.JPG
    IMAG0056.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 387
  • Midnight Sun.JPG
    Midnight Sun.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 385
I just did this...I've wanted to do it for some time, just never really got around to it...It took 20 minutes, and that was only because I accidentally wired up the wrong side of the red wire from the relay(hand). That actually made my headlights come on, but only gave them about 50% power. It was a quick fix though. Can't wait to actually see it on my car finally:)

Thank you all very much i used this how-to and under 10 minutes i did it, took a cable and made a bridge between the green/back cable and red one in fog relay little black box. and thats it!

Ok, so why can't I get this to work? I hooked them up and the headlights came on. You dont have to have a spare wire to do this do you?

Install Pics

OK Now that i went back and took some pics of my install i thought i would share my knowledge with all!! Sorry if this confuses anyone. If a moderator wants to use this in a sticky then go ahead. I hope this helps.

STEP 1
I PUSHED OUT FROM UNDER THE DASH UNTIL IT POPPED OUT.

Side%20Panel%20Removal.JPG

STEP 2
HERE IS THE FOR LIGHT HARNESS I POPPED OUT FROM BEHIND THE DASH AND REMOVED THE CONNECTION TO ACCESS THE WIRES.

Fog%20Light%20Harness.JPG

STEP 3
YOU ARE GOING TO NEED TO CRIMP ON A FEMALE CONNECTOR TO NEW WIRE BEFORE REPLACING. I THEN REPLACED THE GREEN AND BLACK WIRE WITH THE WIRE(WHITE) GOING TO THE "Y" CONNECTOR.

Wire%20Replacement.JPG

STEP 4
I THEN DISCONNECTED THE FOGLIGHT RELAY(look at pic for location) AND PULLED(gently) OUT THE RED WIRE(power). (basicly the red wire is not going to be used and i wire tied it up and out of the way) AND THE WHITE WIRE IS REPLACING THE RED. (you will need to connect this wire to one of the open arms on the "Y" connector)

Fog%20relay%202.JPG

STEP 5
THEN I CONNECTED THE GREEN AND BLACK WIRE TO THE LAST OPEN ARM OF THE "Y" CONNECTOR AND THEN REINSTALLED EVERYTHING.

HERE IS THE FINAL OUTCOME............

MEAN%20P5.JPG

ITEMS USED............
YOU WILL NEED (2) FEMALE SPADE CONNECTORS NOT (1 MALE AND 1 FEMALE)

items%20used.JPG

HERE IS A CLOSE UP OF THE "Y" CONNECTOR AND PART# FOR REFERENCE
Three%20Way%20Connect.JPG

one last question

My car does NOT have day time running lights.
The fogs come on, when the parking lights are on. They also are on when the headlights are on. That is if the switch is pressed in, right?
Let me know, pm me please.
Thanks in Advance.
chefs p5

CHEFS P5 said:
My car does NOT have day time running lights.
The fogs come on, when the parking lights are on. They also are on when the headlights are on. That is if the switch is pressed in, right?
Let me know, pm me please.
Thanks in Advance.
chefs p5

If done correctly, Thats the way it should be! (headbang)

True Ignition Wire

Can someone please help me? I'm REALLY interested in doing this bada$$ fog light mod but I want to hook it up like some of you did: So that the fogs are on independant of the headlights any time the car is on. Yet, of course, I want the fog light switch to still work.

I believe a couple of you hooked the red relay wire up to the true ignition wire... I completely understand the mod up until that point. Can someone please point me to the true ignition wire so I can splice into that? I was thinking about taking a picture of under the dash and showing what I think is the ignition wire. Let me know if that would help. Thanks a bunch!!!!

Did this mod today and it is simple and the results are kick ass. I followed the directions on the first page and the results with pics are listed below:

Pic 1: I cut the green/black wire, wound the wires together, and put a female connector on it, soldered it and taped it. I also cut the red wire at the fog relay, taped up the unused loose end, and put a female connector on it.

Pic 2: I took a 10" 18 ga red wire and put male connectors on both ends. Then pluged one end into black/green female connector at the fog switch and then ran it over and plugged the other end into a female connector that I put on the red wire comming off the fog relay. It's that easy :)

Pic 3: Parking lights turned on with the fogs.
Pic 4: Headlights turned on with the fogs.
Pic 5: High beams on without the fogs.

The whole thing took my slow ass 45 min (headbang)

Attachments

• Fogmod1.jpg
    Fogmod1.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 875
  • Fogmod2.jpg
    Fogmod2.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 874
  • Fogmod3.jpg
    Fogmod3.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 662
  • Fogmod4.jpg
    Fogmod4.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 526
  • Fogmod5.jpg
    Fogmod5.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 530
One more thing to add. I just noticed this morning that when the parking lights are on and I turned the high beams on the fogs shut off thus leaving just the parking lights on??? I haven't done the mental gymnastics to figure this one out, but who cares...it's a free mod that super-duper (2thumbs)

Slightly different wiring

I'm interested in doing this mod a little different. Can anyone make some suggestions?

I want to operate the fogs completely independant of the parking and headlights. I still want to control them via the switch inside the cabin, but would like for the lights to operate only when car is running so I can never forget to turn them off and drain the battery.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

solomr2 said:
I'm interested in doing this mod a little different. Can anyone make some suggestions?

I want to operate the fogs completely independant of the parking and headlights. I still want to control them via the switch inside the cabin, but would like for the lights to operate only when car is running so I can never forget to turn them off and drain the battery.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

If you go back a couple of pages in this thread you'll notice that someone wired it to the true ignition wire. This is what I want to do as well but I'm not sure which is the true ignition wire. That's what my post is all about below. Hopefully someone will come along with a picture of the true igniton wire and we'll know that's the one we need to tap into. So yeah. Anyone?!

Phatmack said:
If you go back a couple of pages in this thread you'll notice that someone wired it to the true ignition wire. This is what I want to do as well but I'm not sure which is the true ignition wire. That's what my post is all about below. Hopefully someone will come along with a picture of the true igniton wire and we'll know that's the one we need to tap into. So yeah. Anyone?!

Anyone? Update on true ignition wire? Someone mentioned it was the blue wire coming out of the ignition switch, but a few posts later someone else said it was the wrong one. Does anyone know which is the right one?

While I'm here, is there any kind of indicator inside the cabin to inform you that your fogs are on? During the day its pretty hard to know if you have them on or not.

Last edited:
solomr2 said:

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Regarding FORGETING to turn off the fogs...Well let me just say that if you will wire the fogs as described in very 1st post you wont forget to turn them off. Since they will be hooked up with your illumination lights, when you will take out the key, the annoying BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP will start going off letting you know that you forgot the lights. As far as independent hook up.....you can always hook it up straight to the battery.

P.S. I FOLLOWED the instructions on the very 1st post and it worked great. Now since my aftermarket alarm is hooked up so my illumination lights blink when I lock it or unlock it, MY FOGS BLINK ALSO. Freaking nice as hell. Mad props to who made this possible. (did it today)

How about Ignition Wire???????

Anyone? Please? Maybe a picture or at least confirmation of where the true ignition wire is? It'd be appreciated. Thx.

Phatmack said:
Anyone? Please? Maybe a picture or at least confirmation of where the true ignition wire is? It'd be appreciated. Thx.

look for the remote starter and directions on how to install it. Directions will point out where the ignition wire is. Thats how I would do it.

i did my today. it took my ass forever. possibly because i kept assing around and decided to change bulbs and decided to clean my car out. (i have adhd... seriously lol) but anywho yea i got it done and yea its pretty cool, i guess. I donno nothing too special but it works. I chose the method where you can control it with the switch, and I never noticed how bright my headlights were, but at about 10 p.m. I left the house and got about 4 or 5 miles down the road and realized that my headlights were off. I only noticed because I looked at my gauges and was like WTF did I wire something up wrong? then i looked at the road in front of me and noticed my headlights didn't have the distance they used to.. Then it hit me and I turned on my lights and the high beams were already on and the sun came out in front of my car (so to speak) wow it was hella bright in front of my car.

My favorite DIY mod remains the window mod. ******* awesome..

Back