How long before first oil change?

Javaman

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD
Currently, I have 4,300 miles on my new CX-5.

Back when I bought it, I think the dealer said to bring it in at 3,500 miles for first oil/filter change, but then I kept hearing different opinions from other people, some say it can wait, others say take it in now. I also didn't see anything about it in the manual either.

Is this correct? Or should I wait longer? How many miles before you have the first service on your CX-5?

Personally waiting till I hit 5,000 miles for my first oil change. In the service manual it says that if you do light driving you could actually do your oil changes at 7,500 mile intervals. How long did it take you to hit 4,300 miles? a couple of months or like 5-6 months?

For normal driving conditions (per owners manual) 7500 miles, synthetic oil. That's when I had my first oil change done.

Hmm I could have sworn that the service manual that came with the CX-5 gives two options one at 5,000 and another at 7,500 miles. I will need to confirm.

Hmm I could have sworn that the service manual that came with the CX-5 gives two options one at 5,000 and another at 7,500 miles. I will need to confirm.

As said above, for normal operation condtions, intervals are 7500 miles / Schedule 1

Schedule 2 is 5000 miles or 4 months (whatever comes first) for vehicles mainly used in following conditions:

Repeated short distance driving
Driving in dusty condtions
Driving with extended use of brakes
Driving in areas where salt and other corrosive materials are used
Driving on rough or muddy roads
Extended periods of idling or low-speed operation
Driving for long periods in cold temperatures or extremely humid climate
Driving in extremely hot conditions
Driving in mountainous conditions continually

Last edited:
Personally waiting till I hit 5,000 miles for my first oil change. In the service manual it says that if you do light driving you could actually do your oil changes at 7,500 mile intervals. How long did it take you to hit 4,300 miles? a couple of months or like 5-6 months?

I bought the car in July, and just over the weekend I hit 4,300 miles.

Yeah I would change the oil at every 5,000 miles just to be safe. Plus we're in the Northeast so we fit into some (not all) of the categories that CX-SV pointed out a post above.

Back