What have you done to your MSP today?

Anyone replaced the outlet flange studs on the turbo? If so, what length?

You potential Megasquirt users need to get together for a GB on a PnP setup for the Protg.
Agreed, though in my case is too late for that. My megasquirt is all ready to go, and basically pnp since Im using the AEM ECU extension harness. The only reason is not on the car as we speak is my ever failing cali smog

Drove the MSP to work 2 days in a row.

The clunk is killing it for me. HATE IT.

EvilMonkey said he installed poly swaybar bushings and "fixed" it for him.

It isn't fixed. It SUCKS! Unacceptable. If I can't fix the clunk I'm selling it.

The clunk fix kit has had some bad reviews. Can't even get it any more (?).

Should I try lots of teflon tape on bar? Noise not coming from links (new HD links).

Drove the MSP to work 2 days in a row.

The clunk is killing it for me. HATE IT.

EvilMonkey said he installed poly swaybar bushings and "fixed" it for him.

It isn't fixed. It SUCKS! Unacceptable. If I can't fix the clunk I'm selling it.

The clunk fix kit has had some bad reviews. Can't even get it any more (?).

Should I try lots of teflon tape on bar? Noise not coming from links (new HD links).

If you can't fix the clunk you shouldn't have an MSP lol. The links "could" be not tight enough. the poly bushings could be worn out, something could be broken, among other things.

If you can't fix the clunk you shouldn't have an MSP lol. The links "could" be not tight enough. the poly bushings could be worn out, something could be broken, among other things.

The roads are pretty bad here right now.

Poly bushings don't wear out fast, and pretty sure Emonkey did the bushings within the last year. But I will check them.

Noise comes from each end of the car. LF, RF, LR, RR depending on the bump I've hit.

When you say links could be not tight enough, do you mean that the nuts might not be tight enough? The ball joint in the links is tight, put new ones on a week ago. Could the bolts be banging inside the holes in the strut mounts and bar ends? Perhaps I could make a bushing for that?

What do you know about using teflon tape?

I've heard that the s.bar needs to be "stabilized"?

Poly bushings don't wear out fast, and pretty sure Emonkey did the bushings within the last year. But I will check them.

Noise comes from each end of the car. LF, RF, LR, RR depending on the bump I've hit.

When you say links could be not tight enough, do you mean that the nuts might not be tight enough? The ball joint in the links is tight, put new ones on a week ago. Could the bolts be banging inside the holes in the strut mounts and bar ends? Perhaps I could make a bushing for that?

yes the nut which mounts to the strut. If that isn't stupid tight it will clunk.

I've never had to use teflon tape as I've always used oem bushings since they don't squeak when dry and they're the right size every time. lol

Design flaw with the car. Poly really only last about 10-12k, rubber even less. Definitely check the endlink to make sure they are tight.

Here's a group buy for the relocation kits: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123836924-GB-Rear-Sway-Bar-Relocation-Brackets
They have been successful in reducing the clunk, adding a zerk fitting so you can regrease it is best. I did teflon when I installed a set of bushing but it was to lessen the squeak of the bushings, not the clunk.

archive about teflon and different greases http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-123811801.html

Last edited:
Ive got about 10k on my second set of oem bushings. I replaced the first set at about 20k on them, maybe a little less, but not much. I replaced the front and rear end links at the first initial replacement when i got that car as well. Used Napa brand wnd links. The bushings i regularly lubricate with werth HHS2000 every chance i get which is a lot with it being in the air so much. It keeps them quiet and i havent done it in the past few months and it staryed creaking the other day, so im going to buy another set of oem ones. Ive made sure both times to give them the part number for the revised oem bushing bushing per TSB and make sure when i get them its that numver and not an old.number. i mean im sure theyve sold through all of the old stock, but never hurts. Lol

And youd actually abandon the car over, "the clunk?"

clunk doesnt ever really go away unless you get "the fix". even with poly bushings, expect to get under there once in a while to lube them.

you could always just... unhook the bar lol.
my front endlinks went mia a LOOONG time ago. every now and then the bar bounces off the LCA on one side lol. i should REALLY get on replacing the links one of these days. ive got so used to the offpower steering without a front bar though.
A big surprise is my ES has a front bar on it heh. i guess there was more to the "GT" trim than i thought.. nice stereo.. and what else.. heh.

Back