The hour draws near.

47b7cf25b3127ccebfb2fb81e49b00000026108AYtGbRo1bNO

47b7cf25b3127ccebfb2f81ca49f00000026108AYtGbRo1bNO

why are the 2 exhaust valves open on the bottom left?

Why can't I live near people who know their s*** and are willing to help. All I get is....."good luck with all that".

Good luck with the rest of the build. Can't wait to hear about the final outcome.

it'll be fine.... you don't want anything scoring on initial startup... the redline assembly lube used is very viscous (it's basically a bit thicker than hand cream lotion) and will wash right off with motor oil very easily... it's not that thick goop that is commonly used... I've built a CA18DET the same way 3 years ago and it's still running strong

If the walls are clean, nothing will score them. The rings need that friction, but you said you've used it before w/o problems so it must work ok. Just never done it that way myself or heard of it being done.

it's clean as hell
but no matter what, whatever oil you use will just run down the cylinder walls... the walls are so fresh nothing will really stick to it.... so it's dry as a bone... sprayed WD-40, motor oil and s*** on it... runs right down.... so you start it up, it'll just gouge that s*** (still possible it won't happen but why take the chance) even though you're sure the rings are clean and s***

it's clean as hell
but no matter what, whatever oil you use will just run down the cylinder walls... the walls are so fresh nothing will really stick to it.... so it's dry as a bone... sprayed WD-40, motor oil and s*** on it... runs right down.... so you start it up, it'll just gouge that s*** (still possible it won't happen but why take the chance) even though you're sure the rings are clean and s***

Damn my thread got owned by "lube" speak :)

We will only run it for about 15 minutes then drain the oil, change the filter and then refill the crankcase. All the lube will be in that initial oil change all will be fine this is an excellent moly based lube from Redline and it is made for just such a task.

If the walls are clean, nothing will score them. The rings need that friction, but you said you've used it before w/o problems so it must work ok. Just never done it that way myself or heard of it being done.
Dude, trust me there is plenty of friction for the rings. This thing is tighter than a Nun's cooch.
(silly)

Not too tight just new ring tight.

Well after a 4 weekends in a row we got the car running. It was hard as hell, expensive, time consuming and took the help of many people but now it is running and running very well.

We had the car ready to start on Sunday afternoon, the wheels were off, the front end was high in the air and we had a stone dead battery. I hooked up the jump-start/air compressor, area light combo I got for father's day and we commenced turning the engine over.
TheMan had pulled the injector fuse to turn the car over without fuel so it would build oil pressure. Once the pressure was built up and the oil light went off I reconnected the fuse and we started to turn it over for real.
That damn car fired right up...it barely turned over a couple of revs and it fired to life it was dead-ass smooth just like a brand new car. No hiccups, no burps, no rattles, just a smooth purring 1000RPM hum.
It was almost magical. We let it run at varying RPMs for 15 minutes and then we turned it off and drained the initial oil.
All of the Redline lube was in the pan along with the other start-up material. It actually smelled like the lube and it had a red tint to it.
We had to go and exchange the dead Optima Redtop and once we wired the new battery in, we added the wheels, cleaned up the area and we took off in the car.
It performed flawlessly, the only difference was the near perfectly balanced engine, lighter flywheel and dry film coated engine was so smooth that it took a bit of getting used to. I thought the speedo was broken because the engine was so free revving that when I removed my foot from the gas the engine speed did not drop like a rock. It almost felt like it hovered there for a couple of seconds.
We drove for about 20 miles in my gated neighborhood and then parked it.
I have since put about 100 miles on it today. It is really freaking sweet.
I got 97 miles out of a 1/4 tank city highway combo with a new engine LOL!
I will not boost it for a couple thousand miles but the funny thing is now with the ported manifold (and other mods) it seems to get into boost even faster than before. When I am baby throttling it and I shift I can hear some turkey. When I am going about 60 and I give it a small amount of throttle I get even more turkey.
Man, I do love me some turkey :) I cant wait to hear it at 24PSI.

I will be back.
Big thanks to "TheMan" for coming out over and over and over again. He really made this build happen and he has done a FLAWLESS job indeed.
Thanks to Moeed, Renee, and Moeed's younger sibling MooMoo-Khan The Magnificent. They helped us mount the engine in the car at 10:00 pm in the dark...it was hard...

Good night, I am old, I am tired and I have WHEELS!

WOOHOO!

Last edited:
sweet!!! i hope once i build up, my first engine start up goes as smooth as yours!

toby shall ride again!!!!!!!

Back