Protege5 - Show us your rust!

48K miles on my 2003. i'll have to take a look, never noticed anything visible, but haven't looked under the car either.

48K miles on my 2003. i'll have to take a look, never noticed anything visible, but haven't looked under the car either.

Every suspension component is rusted to hell on my MP3. Unless it's been replaced by me due to being broken (both on purpose & by accident) while trying to service various parts.

Talk about a blast from the past. I don't think i've seen you post in... forever dude.

oh ya, forgot to take some pics the other day maybe tonight if i get up enough courage :(

Well I'm happy to report that my 2002 protege5 [126-127K miles right now]has no body rust outside of the dents on the front of the hood from road debris on the freeway which has caused some really small rust spots and some on the battery latch for some reason. The car had been sitting all winter too.

Talk about a blast from the past. I don't think i've seen you post in... forever dude.

i know.. i've been lurking for a while but not posting. the thing was giving me a memo at the top of the forum suggesting i post since it had been so long.. haha.

CTt3P5 Same here

Here are some pics I took earlier.

P5-RustJuly2320101.jpg

I just went after mine with a grinder and bondo. I also needed to remove the trunk badges (grind and fill). Those got bad!
My P5 is primed and waiting for paint. Anyone got a good source for the 2002 Silver Mazda used? The stuff at the parts store is TOO DARK.

I suppose I should double check my engine bay. I do know the oil pan is THIN!

Here are some pics I took earlier.

P5-RustJuly2320101.jpg

I just went after mine with a grinder and bondo. I also needed to remove the trunk badges (grind and fill). Those got bad!
My P5 is primed and waiting for paint. Anyone got a good source for the 2002 Silver Mazda used? The stuff at the parts store is TOO DARK.

I suppose I should double check my engine bay. I do know the oil pan is THIN!

Are you looking for the brush/bottle or the spray can? If the first, just go to the dealer. If the second, paintscratch.com

reut1 and CTt3P5 both of you guys have the rust in the spot i was talking about by the engine mount. i took pics of mine but your pics show it better. couldnt get the camera to focus between the hoses on my car. I should also mention that i noticed some rust on the bottom inside of my rear strut mount hole walls (when looking from under the wheelwell deep where the struts get mounted). one thing is for sure for our cars that i dont think anyone will ever get classic plates on them in the future. LOL

ahhh, painful to see all these rusted Proteges.
Im glad my car was raised in Socal, and never left socal.

glad i broke up with the girl I was dating that was from connecticut! I wouldnt want my P5 staying up there too long! LOL!!

I'm afraid that my car will be a pile of dirt by the time I get home from China.

Back