What’s next? My 2002 Protege5

PimpSmurf

Hi everyone,

I’ve been on these forums since just before buying my ‘02.5 P5 from my parents in 2007 and they got it new off the lot. Read some of my old posts and boy oh boy are they cringy (I was 19, can you blame me?).

Anyways, the car is getting up there with 210k miles. It still runs great and it’s my daily. It’s spent its whole life in California, so no salt exposure and no structural rust… but some small surface rust spots that have come through the paint on the roof and on the B pillars. I get some clicking on full right hand lock so CV joints are probably due to be replaced. Needs new accessory belts, but not urgent (look good visually, seem tight, and only squeal sometimes on start up). There are other minor inconveniences like the cigarette lighter doesn’t work and the 6 CD changer is stuck so only have radio now.

So my question is, should I keep throwing money into her to keep her going? Engine seems strong *knock on wood*. I replaced the clutch and motor mounts probably around 150k, and I think I replaced the shocks around that point as well. I had to replace the head gasket, and distributor and ignition wires at one point as well. Are there other major service items that might be looming on the horizon?

I love this car and I would really like to keep her, just don’t want to be throwing money away if others think it’s on borrowed time.

Thanks,
PimpSmurf

P.S. I still get around 25+ mpg and from my old posts I can see that even at 30k miles I was only getting 21… I guess my driving has gotten more conservative with age and maturity. 😂

Cambelt, tensioner and water pump are probably up next, and those pesky rear brakes :p

Personally I'd drive it until it failed catastrophically and the whole car *needs* to be replaced. I love these cars as they're modern enough to keep up with traffic but still fixable by a driveway mechanic

If you're doing most of the work yourself, then from a *financial* standpoint it makes sense to keep the car and save the money you'd otherwise spend on new one. If you just want something newer/nicer or with better mileage, then that's totally subjective. :) It doesn't sound like you're throwing money at the car just yet.

My CV joints are very lightly clicking on the driver's side axle. Mazda told me they could no longer get an OEM axle, but that was during the pandemic and it would have cost a young fortune anyway. If you replace the axle, beware of Cardone remanufactured ones. I don't have experience but I've read they die quickly. I had to remove that same axle to replace a differential seal and it was a pain until I figured out the solution that worked for me, and I posted it somewhere on this forum.

Latest posts

Back