Protege5 - Show us your rust!

If I still had my P5 I'd post pics. Main reason I got rid of her was that the rust was starting to take hold and I wanted to het as much as I could for it before it became a really noticable problem. Spots that I knew for sure were rusting:

1. Passenger side door, from the inside out, nice bubbling mess about an inch under the trim
2. All four doors at the seams
3. Top of the hatch
4. On the roof, driver's side right above the weatherstripping around the windshield
5. All wheel wells. Rears were worse than the fronts, but it hadn't spread to the rest of the quarter panels
6. Where the side skirt meets the body, and presumably all under the skirt too
7. Underbody (duh!)
8. A little rust here and there in the engine bay, nothing major
9. Hood from all the rock chips in the paint

Unfortunately, Protege5's in the Northern states have been known to develop a wee bit of cancer. Well... Let's see how yours has held up. Mine is pretty bad, but I want to get an idea if mine is a freak or if there are others as bad.

3220870890_ce7f2cb9a2_b.jpg

July 12, 2010

Im really sorry to see this. I mean how can mazda really be so careless. these cars should last atleast 10 years before they show any rust anywhere especially where the eye can easily see.

Im really sorry to see this. I mean how can mazda really be so careless. these cars should last atleast 10 years before they show any rust anywhere especially where the eye can easily see.

Up where they use a ton of salt on the roads, rust is a part of life. But to the extent Protege / Protege5 owners have seen is unacceptable. No car that's under 10 years old should be rusting through panels. Yeah, I understand that there will be rust in spots that you just can't protect well from rock chips and what not (wheel wells, hood), but man... The serious rust problems I've seen really make me glad I sold the P5 when I did.

Not trying to bash that POR15 rust stuff, which look great BTW gonna have to try some of it.

If you are looking for some really durable paint this is the stuff. I coated my garage floor with their product, amazing stuff really. This is supposed to be some of the most hard core paint epoxy out there. The coating that I have on my floor is able to stabilize a battery acid spill for 7 DAYS with out having to worry about cleaning it up!! Haven't tried it yet, but ill take their word for it. Plus they have a 20year adhering guarantee on it.

http://superfloorcoat.com/SF-HD-System.asp

That is the link for their crazy floor coating.

http://www.topsecretcoatings.com/

This is their main site. If you have a rally car or track car, this is some amazing paint that will stay on longer than the life of the car (wow)
And no, I am not affiliated with them in any way, shape, or form.

Not trying to bash that POR15 rust stuff, which look great BTW gonna have to try some of it.

If you are looking for some really durable paint this is the stuff. I coated my garage floor with their product, amazing stuff really. This is supposed to be some of the most hard core paint epoxy out there. The coating that I have on my floor is able to stabilize a battery acid spill for 7 DAYS with out having to worry about cleaning it up!! Haven't tried it yet, but ill take their word for it. Plus they have a 20year adhering guarantee on it.

http://superfloorcoat.com/SF-HD-System.asp

That is the link for their crazy floor coating.

http://www.topsecretcoatings.com/

This is their main site. If you have a rally car or track car, this is some amazing paint that will stay on longer than the life of the car (wow)
And no, I am not affiliated with them in any way, shape, or form.
so we can use this stuff to coat under our cars?

Wow, I'm glad I don't live in a place with a lot of salt. No rust I've found so far... *knock on wood*

do any of you have the huge spot of rust in the engine bay right below the left side engine mount? I have seen it on alot of proteges of the same generation and it doesnt matter the year.

like this? i put some aluminum tape over the spot for now since it looks like the rust is coming from inside the engine bay some how. ill fix it up when I replace the mount
photo-3.jpg

I keep telling myself it'll be ok.....I'll be able to fix that spot on the rear quarter panel when I get some money......then I see these picture......

Here are some pics I took earlier.

P5-RustJuly2320101.jpg

P5-RustJuly2320102.jpg

P5-RustJuly2320103.jpg

I'm going to focus on the engine bay as a screwdriver would go right thru the tower as is.

I called Mazda USA corporate few days ago and to make the long story short they dont give a s*** about our rust problems if the car is over the regular 50k mile warranty. so this means they make the cars only to last a normal length of a lease. i can almost bet that over half of the 3rd gen proteges have the left engine mount area rusted to s***.

o god i will have to take a picture of mine soon, i have a bubble like yours jeff on my driver side wheel in the back and near the side skirt too, it makes my tear up every time i see it

I called Mazda USA corporate few days ago and to make the long story short they dont give a s*** about our rust problems if the car is over the regular 50k mile warranty. so this means they make the cars only to last a normal length of a lease. i can almost bet that over half of the 3rd gen proteges have the left engine mount area rusted to s***.

Like I said. It has to be a certain type of rust that doesn't normally happen for them to cover it. I found that out the hard way 3 years ago.

Back