Pics of what mild steel IC pipes look inside

kicker22705

:
03.5 Ti MSP
i just had an extremely horrible experience w/ getting a custom intercooler installed on my car. mainly do to the fact that the tuner shop (owner to be specific) didn't know the difference b/t mild steel and stainless steel. i could ramble on but i won't. i'll just post pics for people so they can learn from my grave mistake.

here are pictures of the mild steel ic pipes fabricated for my MSP. keep in mind these were only installed on my car for ONLY 2 DAYS and this is what they look like after just 2 days. You can judge for yourself and determine if you want to go stainless or mild.

MSP#735 said:
powder coat em and say the hell with em....hehe

exactly what i did. now look:

mods.2%20003.jpg

-B

man keep those bitches as long as they fit ok!! you can polish them then clear coat and they will be fine, or just have them powdercoated. Dont let them go to waste.

-B

did you guys see the inside of the pipes tho? i accidently forgot to post it the first time. its rusting inside after just 2 days. i mean if it was just rusting on the outside, i would be happy w/ the idea of powercoating or polishing it. unfortuneatly that wasn't the case. that plus the fact that the owner lied to me and said i was purchasing stainless steel when i was actually getting mild just further makes me to get my money back. this on top of the fact the money i spent on this kit, i could have gotten the hiboost which is also mild but at least comes chrome plated.

The lying thing I understand. You could paint/powdercoat inside also. My spearco pipes are rusting inside. Doesn't really bother me though, they are rotting in a basement anyway. 900 bucks wasting away.....

Rusting on the outside is no problem. I'm worried about my hiboost rusting on the inside. I'm kinda nervous now.
Any solutions to this? I called the local powdercoating place and they said that they could only powdercoat a few inches deep on the inside of the piping. My only guess is to pour some kinda of liquid clear coat or paint down the piping in hopes that it will seal the piping from rust. But I wouldn't want the paint to chip off due to heat and then get sucked into the engine.

That's an awful lot of piping Bryan. Have you seen the Perrin thread? Their SRI & FMIC appear to have about 1/2 as much total piping as that. :p

just get your pipes ceramic coated - they do inside and outside -

yeah a bit more than powdercoating - but its also a more efficient heat barrier

yea I feel for ya on the lying part, makes it worse that they didnt even bother to paint/seal the outsides of the pipes...a little rusting inside isnt that big of a deal, but the outside should of def been sealed...

the whole powder coat and ceramic coating sounds like a good idea, but a horrible value in my case. i already dumped in 900 bucks to these fools (360 for ic, 450 for pipes & labor, and 100 for radiator fan) and i have to dump in more just too keep it from rusting. the money i spend on the ic + piping + fan + ceramic coating would equal or exceed the price of the ion which is polished stainless steel.

i had my pipes powdercoated on the inside as well. 200 for all that you see there.

-B

Back