Official: ATx -> MTx conversion

so does anybody have the "official" list of parts you'd need?

I'm guessing:
tranny
clutch assy
master and slave clutch cylinders
pedal assy
shifter assy

1/2 shafts?

Ive heard rumors about needing a new computer and wiring harness. That doesnt make a lot of sense. The manual just wouldn't need all of the autos sensors, shifters etc. I can see having to switch all that to go from manual to auto, but not auto to manual. I may get a CEl, but I took that light bulb out a long time ago!!

yea you will need the ecu... i have an lx ECU if you want and shifter assembly and linkage if you want to buy it.

you might need some of the senors... i know you need axles..

you want the ECU... i've been told by a dealership that i needed the wiring harness, for sure... but they're the only people that have said that.

if you can get a destroyed protege for $1500, that's your best bet.. and just take the parts out.. it's the little misc. parts that'll kill you..

http://ottawaprotege.com/viewtopic.php?t=57 - that's my conversion list on my local site

for me.. this project is outta my league until i break my current tranny (not likely to happen @ 7psi w/ tranny cooler, ATF red line fluid and upgraded valve bodies)

Bud, it won't be that bad, When it goes for a s***, rebuild it with help from those dudes or get a Manual...

really the cost are high to do this... the car i to new and when thier totalled thier pretty much scrapped and its close to impossible to get parts for this car.

like i've said in the ottawa thread, i've found everything to be readily accessible except for the wiring harness, cuz JY's cut them to take out the engine/tranny with ease... wiring harnesses USED to be cheap and simple, therefore, cutting them didn't used to be a big deal. They need to realize the value of this part and sell the harness for like $100 :)
It's about CDN$1700 so ~ US$1500 to do this mod, if you can make your own harness or find a free one in a JY.

the best setup is to buy a junker and use that.. just something that's been destroyed from the back.

but like I said.. with the light mods i'm doing to my tranny.. it won't break at 7psi for a looooong time.

alright lil freak you can do it!

subscribed to the thread.

hey be sure to leave your contact with every junkyard in your state and even beyond. i was just about grab a junked P5 in a local junkyard here in Wisconsin; and then some dude from Florida bought it and had it shipped down. i thought that was pretty hardcore of that person. So... better make a move to buy a junked P5 when one presents itself.

best of luck!

lil_freak, contact mp5jeff. I beleive he swapped his automatic for a manual. he should have all the info you need

i have contacted him. He did it, but didn't document much, if any, of the process - and as time goes, the memory fades

subscribing, this is something I hope to do someday as well. A detailed how-to would be great if possible. Also if its not too much to ask, maybe some tips on sourcing needed parts?

back from the dead.
I am picking up transmission, clutch/flywheel, axles and wiring harness this weekend.
I'm waiting on a member to hook me up with all the shifting linkage 'n such.
so far, i'm running cdn$1100. I'm assuming another cdn$1000 will cover it all (including misc nuts & bolts from mazda)
oooooooohhhh.. hopefully i'll have a DETAILED how-to with pics in 4-5 weeks :)

Lil Freek said:
back from the dead.
I am picking up transmission, clutch/flywheel, axles and wiring harness this weekend.
I'm waiting on a member to hook me up with all the shifting linkage 'n such.
so far, i'm running cdn$1100. I'm assuming another cdn$1000 will cover it all (including misc nuts & bolts from mazda)
oooooooohhhh.. hopefully i'll have a DETAILED how-to with pics in 4-5 weeks :)

oh awesome, so i guess no Lentech. i too will be doing the swap soon

Lentech are bitches.. they wanted cdn$4000 for the full buildup.. for cdn$2000 i can do the swap with MSP axles.. for another $2000 I can get an LSD and ACT street clutch (or ACT 4puck clutch)

Last edited:
Go Spec clutches... very very nice... I've got the full faced ceramic stage 3 rated for over 500 ft-lbs with a 34% pressure plate and the thing is ridiculously streetable... as easy as a stock clutch without a doubt.... and I sell them so I can get you a pretty good deal on it too!

cool.. i'm not there yet.. and the car's not getting forged innards, so i'm not needing something that excessive :p

btw.. does NSN make tranny mounts for the MTx? I need one, i think the ATx one is different.

Back