Official: ATx -> MTx conversion

hahahahah. cheapest quote i got was for cdn$2000..
some places refused to do the work - too much labor.

They told me that it would 30hours if a professional did the swap, so that doesn't make me happy to hear that. BUUUUUT, I'm still going to keep looking into it... I think i have most of the parts on my list at work. I will transfer over everything that i've accumulated onto my initial post.

Every Junkyard I spoke to said that unless if I want to spend a full day rewiring my ECU, I should just buy a MTx ECU. (only $180 more)

The only thing i can't find online/or the places i've phone is a Clutch assembly. on car-part.com, what would it be called??

what i will do is at my school i have access to all the shop manuals ill look this all up see what i can figure out. I think the ECU is vital if this is your daily driver... you lose things back lights and if you i dont think jeff has a speedometer ethier but i dont remeber the reasoning behind it. give a list of what you need me to look up and ill do it on tuesday.

your right its easier for the most part, except id have to buy a new electronic shift module and torque converter and a few other things and still had to pull my auto tranny to regear it and its really not easier it just sounds it and its twice the cost. I put linkage in and some lines with a new ecu and new pedals im fine just sounds like a lot. so for twice the cost im limited to about 225whp before i d have to upgrade again to get 300whp (the next jump iirc ) to the ground im at almost triple the cost of a swap.

yeah.. personally, i'm going to stop at 225whp.. that's enough for my daily grocery getter.. maybe touch 250whp every now and again, but not daily.

I've contacted Lentech to see if they'd wanna sponsor my car as their "Project Protege" - seeing as I have a turbo kit on the go and will forge the internals within the next year :) I just like discounts and love from them, so I'm down like Charlie Brown if they wanna love me.

How did you get that quote??

What i've got quoted is $1100 for a torque converter, overhaul kit and tranny cooler. I'd have to pay for labor and taxes over that, but that's still not even $2000

it was so long ago and they werent even aware they matched up. which one did you price? the one rated for 175whp or 275whp?

it's a mish mash of parts that i'm buying.. i'm not buying their prebuilt transaxles, that's a waste of money. My tranny is fine, it just needs a little help :p
The pieces would amount to being able to push 225whp, safely.

yea, i dunno how bad many tranny looks on the inside... sso ill have to wait till i pull it but its slipping like whoa i have to start looking for options.

i've updated the list in my initial post.

Now I think i've got everything but the wiring in there. Does anybody know the specifics of what i'm going to have to change with wiring?? I have a document that explains the ATx>MTx swap in a Miata, and I'm using some of that write-up to apply to my swap.

The Miata write-up says it's pretty straight forward, and the guys that will be helping me both have MTx Proteges, so they'll be good reference guides for the conversion. I have been unable to get any real assistance from a dealership or a transmission shop. I will, however, bring my car to a transmission shop when I'm done my install. I'll gladly pay them $100 to take a look at my job and solve minute problems that i'm sure i'll run into.

If anybody has any more input, please let me know.

so after talking to more people.
it seems as though all i need to do is take out the engine (with a crane), disassemble the ATx tranny, kick it, and slap on the MTx clutch assy (flywheel, clutch plate, etc), slap the MTx tranny over that, bolt it down, and drop the tranny back into the car.
before putting the engine/tranny in the car, i will install the shifter and arms, clutch assembly and the wiring harness. After all that, it's just a matter of hooking everything up and giving her a go.

Lil Freek said:
so after talking to more people.
it seems as though all i need to do is take out the engine (with a crane), disassemble the ATx tranny, kick it, and slap on the MTx clutch assy (flywheel, clutch plate, etc), slap the MTx tranny over that, bolt it down, and drop the tranny back into the car.
before putting the engine/tranny in the car, i will install the shifter and arms, clutch assembly and the wiring harness. After all that, it's just a matter of hooking everything up and giving her a go.
Replacing the wiring harness is going to be the hardest part. If it is setup like the Miata you will have to remove your dash to do it. Give yourself at least 2 full days to do that.

did you try contacting TheMan. I'm sure if you give him that list he will tell you what else you will need and how to go about doing it and so forth. Also, download the Protege manual at http://protege5.ugly.net/ if you dont have it already.

I have the Pro Manual.
I've send a few messages to TheMAN about the conversion, but he has this wonderful characteristic of never replying to my PMs. (although most of them are stupid questions I found out on my own)
Maybe I'll try sending him an e-mail so he can read the story of my woes :p

Brian MP5T knows a lot about wiring, so i'm hoping he knows how to set all that s*** up :p But you're right, wiring will definitely be a pain in the ass. I'm supposed to be receiving a fax of the MTx wiring diagrams, so I can see what's involved.

I sent him a PM with a link to this page.

I'll e-mail him later when I have a little more time. I know he's constantly being annoyed with questions about everything.

Anyways... I'm still waiting for my wiring diagram. Shops have confirmed the prices of almost everything that I need (assuming my list in the first post is correct) and it'll come to cdn$1600, taxes and all. (usd$1275) The labour is free as it'll be done by myself and other people with a better grasp of automotive tech. so that's not too bad a cost for the swap. I've been offered cdn$75 for my ATx tranny.. i cry inside. (to buy, they are cdn$1000)

SenorCorwin should be doing it in 2 weeks. He'll have the first documentation on it, I believe.

I'm going to boost with my ATx (+cooler and red line ATF) for the time being, and once I feel the itch for more than 7psi of boost, I'm going to do that swap. Money just isn't permitting the tranny mod for this year. I gotta buy a house soon, so that's the next 'priority'

Back