OEM Part Match Question

Madman3756

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hey Guys,

Long story short, my engine in my MSP blew up a couple of days ago and to get it fixed under my mechanical breakdown warranty I need to remove the after market parts with OEM parts before the warranty will cover my car. Will the airbox and exhaust from a regular protege of similar years fit my 03 MSP? If so, what years of protege should I check for the parts? I realize the exhaust from a protege won't be a complete match as the stock exhaust from the MSP is a racing beat, but if the protege exhaust fits that would work. Thanks in advance for any help.

MM

Edit: Need not just the airbox but the original parts to replace a cold air intake.

Im guessing the airbox is the same as the EDM protege turbo diesel.. which of course is not available in the us.

Unfortunately I don't have the original parts, bought the car with a cold air intake and my exhaust cracked so I replaced it with the corksport exhaust.

A regular Protege air box will work fine. The pipes are different but the boxes interchange (as long as your get the box AND lid.)

As far as I know the J pipe is the same for MSP's and all other 1.8/2.0 Proteges and the exhaust hanger location is the same. Therefore if you get a full J pipe back exhaust it should bolt up fine.

^yeah, the MSP 'racing beat' exhaust is just a different axle back...but it mounts up at the same position as any 2.0L protege sedan....so a muffler from a 2.0L sedan will fit just fine...NOT a p5 though, the tip is different because the P5 is a few inches shorter than the sedans...

if you have a CAI, you'll need the air-box like mentioned...but factory MSP intake piping, as the sedans intake tube and damper are completely different...

check the fS section, a lot of guys have been letting stock MSP intakes go lately...

^Thanks for mentioning the P5 difference. I meant to put sedan in my post but forgot.

Sorry for my lack of understanding, just want to clarify before I order the parts. The exhaust from a 2.0L protege should match up to a MSP even with the turbo? If so would I need a new j-pipe or just the exhaust from the catalytic converter section where it meets up with the down pipe and back?

The J pipe and axel back flanges are in the same locations. I don't know if the flange at the rear of the mid-pipe is in the same location. If it is then all of the parts from the j pipe back are a 1 for 1 swap if not then the pipe with the cat(s) and the one with the resonator are a set.

I would guess that everything past the S pipe on the MSP shares the same hanger and flange location but I have not confirmed that on the flange between the second cat the the resonator.

Back