Mazdaspeed6 Clutch Fix TSB

UPDATE:

Well, the clutch is still much better ... but, like some others I have heard about, they broke the O2 sensor during the process. Got a CELL not far out of the lot.

They took it back, fixed it, all is well now. (funny when they called about what they found ... I say "Wait ... I'm getting a vision ... it's the 02 sensor!")

So, something to warn your dealer about when they go to do this (and DO get it done!).

... at Wray Mazda in Columbia, SC. No muss, no fuss, no questions asked "yes sir we'll take care of that for you Mr. Parks". (spin)

Thats what I like to hear.

Hell, they even cleaned 12K miles of brake dust off the wheels.

Now, lets drive it a while and see how good a job the did putting it back together! I believe this is the first one they had ever done.

Also had the BOSE MP3 capable head unit put in. Have to check that out as well.

Last edited:
I just got my car back yesterday from getting this done. I love the feel of the new clutch. It is like night and day. Now here's my problem. There is now a dramatic change in performance. It's like I was robbed of power. I was driving it home from the dealer and on passing lanes when I would normally be in 6th gear to pass I floored the pedal and the car didn't pick up like it use to before I had the clutch fix done. Has anyone else had any problems or should I be calling the dealer today asking WTF?

Its all in your head. Unless you feel the clutch slipping it will be transferring the same amount of power from the engine to the transmission. Perhaps they reset the ECU and the car needs to re-learn your driving habits.

I just got my car back yesterday from getting this done. I love the feel of the new clutch. It is like night and day. Now here's my problem. There is now a dramatic change in performance. It's like I was robbed of power. I was driving it home from the dealer and on passing lanes when I would normally be in 6th gear to pass I floored the pedal and the car didn't pick up like it use to before I had the clutch fix done. Has anyone else had any problems or should I be calling the dealer today asking WTF?
I echo the commnets from the post above. I had the clutch TSB done too and when I picked up the car, my radio and the window one touch setting needed to be reset so know that the battery was disconnected. This resets the ECU as mentioned in the above post so it will take at least 10 drive cycles to relearn your driving habits.

Did they reflashed it? Either way, that's how this car is. My speed 6 is faster some days then others. Car simply isn't fine tuned. Either in your head, they reset the ECU, or the car was having a bad moment like many do. :)

I took it for another drive this morning and i truthfully don't think it's in my head. It really feels like there isn't as much power at full throttle now than there was before. I'm pretty sure they did do the reflash also. Could this be the reason why? My wife was even sitting in the passenger seat and before I said anything about it feeling different she said, "Damn, your car feels slow."

Last edited:
I took it for another drive this morning and i truthfully don't think it's in my head. It really feels like there isn't as much power at full throttle now than there was before. I'm pretty sure they did do the reflash also. Could this be the reason why? My wife was even sitting in the passenger seat and before I said anything about it feeling different she said, "Damn, your car feels slow."

If the reflash was done, it should be on your paper work. If you no longer have that, it should also be listed inside the driver side door.

If the reflash was done, it should be on your paper work. If you no longer have that, it should also be listed inside the driver side door.

To be honest I don't think Mazda always puts the sticker on the door jamb, I'm not sure if it was this forum or another one (i think there's like 4 for our cars) but I recall someone saying they had the flash done, but didn't have a sticker on the jamb. I can only wonder if mine has been done or not.

I actually took my car back to the dealership today and had the master mechanic drive it. He immediately agreed with me that there was a loss of power. We got back and they put it up on the lift and knew exactly what the problem was. Some hose that connects to the inter cooler had a bad seal. They fixed me right up and my baby is now back to normal. So much for it "being in my head"

To be honest I don't think Mazda always puts the sticker on the door jamb, I'm not sure if it was this forum or another one (i think there's like 4 for our cars) but I recall someone saying they had the flash done, but didn't have a sticker on the jamb. I can only wonder if mine has been done or not.

sorry for going off topic, my car had the reflash but no stickers at all. My service advisor did show me the paperwork for the reflash when i asked for it.

I just talked to my Mazda dealership regarding the fix and they told me that they have had no customers complain and that I could not get it fixed unless I had mechanical problems with it. I explained that the TSB called for the fix simply on complaints about difficult/awkward clutch operation. After I gave him the actual language from the TSB he was singing a different tune. So I think I am going to bring it in next week to see if I can get the fix.

The technician I spoke with on the phone was surprised that I could view all the text of the entire bulletin and said that it was something that was only intended to be viewed by dealership and mazda technicians. Are we not supposed to see this sort of stuff?

well i showed my dealership the TSB ( sentry west mazda in mass) and he contacted a mazda rep and it took a while but the parts are all in and its being done on the 5th of september... he said it would take a day.. (and ill be getting a rx8 for a loner car,haha im kidding but i wish that were true). but in any case ill post back once shes done.

well i showed my dealership the TSB ( sentry west mazda in mass) and he contacted a mazda rep and it took a while but the parts are all in and its being done on the 5th of september... he said it would take a day.. (and ill be getting a rx8 for a loner car,haha im kidding but i wish that were true). but in any case ill post back once shes done.

if it takes a day, you are lucky. mine took 4 days....dropped it off monday morning, wasn't done until friday...

and ill be getting a rx8 for a loner car,haha im kidding but i wish that were true
When you drop it off, request A Mazda. Otherwise they may outsource your rental to Enterprise and you'll end up in a Dodge Stratus for a week. Sometimes they will give you one of their loaners and sometimes they will put in a special request with the rental company...if they don't you can always request something special from the rental company as long as it is mid-sized or smaller.

The only reason I try to go through the dealership first is that Enterprise has a habit of taking an hour out of my day just to get ANY car to the dealership for me...so when they have something ready I just take it unless it smells like smoke inside. I'm always sure to give my $0.02 in the dealership and Mazda surveys whenever Enterprise treats me poorly...since Mazda should be able to accommodate their customers with actual Mazdas when their car is in for Warranty work.

if it takes a day, you are lucky. mine took 4 days....dropped it off monday morning, wasn't done until friday...

Yeah mine only took one day, I was impressed with the speed of the service.

and like Chuyler said, I requested a mazda..... mazda6 to be specific, the enterprise at the dealer I go to is located right next door because it's surrounded by 4 car dealerships. However they didn't have a mazda6, so they gave me a mazda3.... a weak ass mazda3 :(

Dead Clutch

Ugh. My clutch died yesterday. How many miles on my car? 9600. How long have I been driving manual transmissions? 30 years.

I've never liked the clutch--it always felt "wrong" somehow. I was going to complain at my 10K checkup after living with it for the past 8 months. Also, lately it would sometimes grind for an instant when shifting from 5th to 6th at about 4000 rpm. I'm pretty easy on the car (75% highway commute) and have never been hard on manual transmissions. I don't ride the clutch on hills or anything like that, so I was still a little surprised it went.

I was driving it home from work yesterday and started to smell the clutch burning and feel it getting "spongy". Then it just went.

In 30 years, I've had one other clutch go out on me. The car, a Datson 710 had about 60,000 miles on it. That was 28 years ago. Since then, I've owned 2 RX7's, a MX6 GT, a Miata, and a Z28--all manuals and all of the good, especially the Miata's--which was about perfect--and the Z28's Getrag. I know what a clutch should feel like and the one in the 2006 Speed6's (at least mine) aren't right.

They're going to tow it today to Bigger's Mazda in Elgin. Bigger's has treated us quite well in the past, so I don't expect to have any problems, but it will help to have the TSB.

If you don't like the clutch feel take it in and get it fixed.

A day, maybe, if they have ALL the parts, start on it 1st thing in the AM, and work on it like dogs all day long.

Oh, and warn them in advance about damaging the O2 sensor. They may not listen to you .... but at least you will have already brought it up when you get that CELL on the way home. (hand)

A day, maybe, if they have ALL the parts, start on it 1st thing in the AM, and work on it like dogs all day long.

Oh, and warn them in advance about damaging the O2 sensor. They may not listen to you .... but at least you will have already brought it up when you get that CELL on the way home. (hand)

That's why I like Gunther....... I didn't know at the time about the O2 damage, so I said nothing but I've yet to get a cell

I've eclipsed the 10k mile mark (10,002 miles)

bought the car with 4,800 miles (exactly, lol)

Had the TSB done at 6,086 miles

So I've put ALMOST 4k miles on the car after having the TSB Clutch replacement performed, and I gotta tell you, I love every bit of it.

I'm about to take my car in this weekend, or next for the service checkup, since I've hit 10,0000 miles.

I'm also going to ask them about 2nd gear sometimes blocking me from shifting........ has anyone else had that problem? My synchros may be out.......since I bought the car with 4,800 miles I think the previous owner could have done something. Mike knows about my missing 2nd gear (rant)

Just spoke with my Mazda dealer regarding the TSB for the Clutch. I am told that the TSB only covers repairs possible under the original manufacturers warranty. Thus, Mazda warrants the clutch for 12K miles and I am SOL because I have more miles on my car than that.

Is this true, anyone else run into this problem?

Back