Wanna see the difference between an ACT clutch and OEM Mazdaspeed6 clutch?

flatlander937

:
'11 Mazda2 Sport
Well you're in the right thread!

For some background... I'm a tech at a large used car dealership. There is a vehicle that was sold, clutch slips in 6th gear and had excessive clutch pedal effort. I found the Mazda TSB so of course ordered the parts planning on replacing the pedal, clutch and pressure plate, and resurfacing the flywheel.

Come to find out the clutch that the vehicle had in it(from a previous owner) is aftermarket, an ACT clutch.

It is quite interesting that this is supposed to be an upgrade for these vehicles, when in fact comparing them side by side proves this may not be the case... at least when it comes to friction surface area. edit: after further reading, surface area has nearly nothing to do with torque holding ability. Just heat dissipation and longevity.

First the pics... Mazda on left(these are the revised parts found in the clutch effort TSB), ACT on right:

IMG_20120302_161622.jpg

The Mazda clutch disc is 9.75" in diameter, the ACT is 9.50" in diameter:

IMG_20120302_161632.jpg

IMG_20120302_161729.jpg

IMG_20120302_161717.jpg

The pressure plate assemblies. I am not sure how spring stuff is calculated, but it -appears- the ACT clutch will be much heavier... which could give you the false illusion that it is going to hold more power... whether true or not.

IMG_20120302_161808.jpg

And here you can see the dual mass flywheel that the MS6 comes with.

IMG_20120302_161645.jpg

I did the math on the surface areas of each clutch disc...

The outter diameters of the discs are 9.75(Mazda) and 9.50(ACT)... not a big difference. To be usable for calculation of circle area, we need the radius of those.

Mazda outter radius: 4.875"
ACT outter radius: 4.75"

The area of a circle is pi x r2 with pi = 3.141592653589793

Because I am lazy, I actually used this calculator to speed things along:
http://www.basic-mathematics.com/area-of-a-circle-calculator.html

So the overall area of the Mazda clutch disc is 74.66in sq
Overall area of the ACT clutch disc is 70.88in sq.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!!!

The clutch disc friction area isn't a complete circle... it's only on the outer ring of the circle. We just calculated the area based on the outside edge of the friction area... so now we need to calculate the INSIDE edge of that friction material... with intentions of taking the outside area minus inside area... which will leave us with the area of the actual friction surface.

I measured the width of the clutch linings from ID to OD... these are the results:
Mazda: 1.875"(that's 1-7/8) wide
ACT: 1.125(that's 1-1/8) wide

By knowing this number, we can subtract this number from the OD radius... to get the ID radius that we need.

Mazda: 3" radius inside the friction area
ACT: 3.625(that's 3-5/8)" radius inside the friction area

That is a big difference when you are talking areas of circles... how much you ask? Let's find out by first turning those radii into surface area #s...

Mazda: 3" radius circle = 28.27in sq
ACT: 3.625" radius circle = 41.28in sq

So now we can take the big radii minus the small radii to get the total surface area of the friction surface only:

Mazda: 74.66 - 28.27 = 46.39in sq
ACT: 70.88 - 41.28 = 29.60in sq

BUT WAIT!

That is only for ONE SIDE of the disc... so take those numbers x2 for the actual friction surface working areas:

Mazda: 92.78in sq total
ACT: 59.20in sq total

That is a 33.58in sq difference between the two!!

That means the ACT clutch has 36.19% LESS friction area than the OEM Mazda clutch.

I'm sure it is all a wash when you consider that ACT advertises a 48% increase in clamping power... but that's also because if they didn't it would be weaker than stock for sure. Again these calculations I did really mean nothing other than just knowing the surface area of the clutch linings. Read my next post further down for more info.

I'll end in saying that I have no idea what the "clamping forces" actually are in either clutch, or how big of an effect that having the Mazda clutch 1/4" larger in outer diameter is vs the ACT clutch(because having the friction surface further out = bigger lever arm to resist slipping)... but maybe this will make some people think twice before throwing in something other than an OEM Mazda clutch but only wanting a "stock replacement" equivalent.

I'll also say that there are just too many other variables in designing clutches that I know are far beyond my limited knowledge... I'm sure ACT builds a good product, but you've got to wonder why they would utilize a smaller disc w/ less surface area.

And it turns out I was definitely right about this... I'm not an engineer, I just like to learn the how and why of things. Read my next post below to see what really matters in clutch holding power.

-----

On a side note the reason the ACT flywheel is resurfaced is because I took it off a day before I got the new Mazda parts... didn't think to check and make sure the flywheel is OEM or anything... and for some stupid reason I didn't look real close at the pressure plate either despite it being yellow... duh. So let my stupidity be a lesson to pay attention to the details. (lol2)

Last edited:
In a nutshell they get more clamping force because force increases when surfuce area or friction area decreases.

In a nutshell they get more clamping force because force increases when surfuce area or friction area decreases.

No, clamping force does not increase when you take surface area/friction area away. Clamping force is what it is based on the springs in the diaphragm.

I will say that I was wrong as well though... after I've had the chance to read some more about the physics of friction and all that good stuff... I was wrong in my first post in stating that it will hold less because of surface area... it appears that surface area has nothing at all to do with torque holding capacity (scratch)

The amount of force(torque) that a clutch is capable of holding is based solely on the coefficient of friction of the clutch disc, the diameter of the clutch disc, and the weight of the pressure plate spring diaphragm.

Here is a good link I found where it was hashed out in another thread:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=550662

What surface area DOES affect is heat management and longevity. How much it affects those items based on the sizes of the clutch discs I do not know.

I also am going to redo the calculations for the lever arm... because it is actually not the outter diameter of the clutch material that matters... it is the average diameter of the clutch material that you use as the lever arm when calculating the torque load... so in that case...

Mazda: 9.75" OD, 4.875" radius, 1.875" thick clutch lining... so 4.875 minus .9375(half the clutch lining thickness to arrive in the middle of it) = 3.938" lever arm
ACT: 9.50" OD, 4.75" radius, 1.125" thick clutch lining... so 4.75 minus .5625 = 4.1875" lever arm

So after further research and knowing the actual formula to figure this out... it is pretty much for sure that the ACT will hold more power, though the Mazda clutch should be designed to give a longer service life with all else being equal. Also the ACT clutch has a much heavier pedal.

But I learned something new and maybe you guys did too.

So uh... just ignore that whole first post (whistle)

Oh, and the revised clutch disc/pressure plate/pedal assembly is CRAZY AWESOME in the way it feels. It's just a tad heavier than my 5spd Mazda3. Made driving the car smoothly super easy. The customer was ecstatic.

I know this is old but do u have the tsb number Flatlander937? I got a Custumer I replace the clutch and the clutch pedal all ready broke 3 times since I do the clutch. Custumer bring me the parts don't remember the brand of the clutch

Back