Mazdaspeed6 Clutch Fix TSB

uhs0n said:
Hi i've been browsing these forums every since i got my 06 mazdaspeed6 gt in early feb and i just had a quick question. I just recently brought my speed 6 for its 3k oil change and i metioned to them i had a faulty clutch and asked them if i could get the tsb done on my car. They took my car to see if it applied to the tsb. When they returned they said they would do the tsb for me but stressed the fact that the clutch was normal and changing the clutch wouldn't help and in fact make it worse. My question is...if i were to get the tsb done could it possibly make the clutch worse? My car is realatively new and i dont want to do anything i would regret.

No. That is just untrue. They are trying to avoid having to do the job, so that sounds to me like classic BS. I don't buy that for a second, so just ignore it and get it done.

Well, I got my car back, and I tell ya, the change is incredible. It's so much better then before, like others have said.

2006 Speed6 TSB Clutch fix

I dropped my 2006 MazdaSpeed6 off at Dealer Yesterday to try to get the Clutch fix TSB done, even though I am kind of used to it by now. They called me back yesterday afternoon and said they were ordering parts per the TSB: 05-003/07. I was kind of surprised since my car has 21,000 + miles. But then again the Guys at the Dealership also talked me into a CAI. It probably helps that I have purchased 3 other Mazdas (2005 Mazda6, 2005 Mazda Tribute and a 2006 RX8) from them. So I guess they kind of like my business.

gooniac33 said:
if this has been said then I apologize but feel that it is being missed. TSB are not really supposed to be viewed by customers. So the last thing you do is go into the dealer saying there is one for your car!! All you do is study the symptoms and then tell that to the dealer. They will do what they have to from there if you make the complaint. You will get farther playing stupid with a dealer than being a know it all!! (smash) (hand)

You know how far that got me? No where. They were like, no, that's normal.

Hate said:
You know how far that got me? No where. They were like, no, that's normal.

You're right. The person you quoted is basing what he believes on the fact that every dealership is the same and is honest, which is just plain niave, or he works at a dealership and is partial.

Had I played stupid, they'd have told me it was normal, because lets face it, this TSB is based more on a convenience, as opposed to a defect. They aren't meant for us to view because that gives them the oppurtunity to get out of doing some of the TSB's. My dealership did not want to do the TSB, because they still tried worming their way out of it even though I addressed it. They all but admitted it initially until I mentioned how my dad has been buying and servicing cars there for many years. That ended that, and I knew they'd repair it.

I didn't tell the Dealership I knew about the TSB. I just gave them the Description of the TSB in my own words. And left it up to them to find the TSB. The only other information that I gave them is that I had just driven an 2007 MS6, and that my clutch had never felt like that one.

MS6S2K said:
You're right. The person you quoted is basing what he believes on the fact that every dealership is the same and is honest, which is just plain niave, or he works at a dealership and is partial.

Had I played stupid, they'd have told me it was normal, because lets face it, this TSB is based more on a convenience, as opposed to a defect. They aren't meant for us to view because that gives them the oppurtunity to get out of doing some of the TSB's. My dealership did not want to do the TSB, because they still tried worming their way out of it even though I addressed it. They all but admitted it initially until I mentioned how my dad has been buying and servicing cars there for many years. That ended that, and I knew they'd repair it.

I fully plan on getting it taken car of the next time I go in for service. I read this thread a day or two before the last time, but couldn't remember the details about it, so I didn't mention anything further to them. This time, I have all the info I need.

Hate said:
I fully plan on getting it taken car of the next time I go in for service. I read this thread a day or two before the last time, but couldn't remember the details about it, so I didn't mention anything further to them. This time, I have all the info I need.

Just give them the bulletin number....... if they ask then or later how you knew it, just tell them a friend of yours in another state got the TSB done for his car and told you the bulletin number (2thumbs) ;)

Koenig said:
Just give them the bulletin number....... if they ask then or later how you knew it, just tell them a friend of yours in another state got the TSB done for his car and told you the bulletin number (2thumbs) ;)

That'd be the plan!

Hate said:
That'd be the plan!

I am so glad I found this thread, I absolutely hate the clutch in this car!
I have never stalled a car as much as I have this one and I have been driving manuals all my life. It has gotten to the point, like many others have said already, that I am launching the car at almost every place there is even a little bit of an incline. I can't wait to take my car in for the next oilchange and say...btw, 05-003/07(dance)

Dealer issues

Wow... I can't believe the poor dealer service some people on this thread are getting. One of the reasons I have had Mazdas over the last twenty years is because of the up front, fair and honest service I have received. I saw what my father and Brother went through with Chryslers, GMs and Fords and vowed then never to give them a cent.
Perhaps it's just my dealer but others seem to have similar experiences.
I mentioned the clutch for instance and right away the service manager said a bulletin had come through and he would order up the parts. Non of this "evaluation" crap. It was the same with the noise in my diff. Ordered one up no questions asked...problem fixed. They really want me to be happy and take everything I say seriously. A little research prior to going to the dealer may help for people who aren't too familiar with the issues.

I Just dropped our car off, as the service advisor wasn't aware of the bulletin until I showed him, now they have the car atleast until tomorrow, I guess an area rep or someone is in Town and is going to have a look and say if it is a yay or nay for the work to go ahead.
but I showed the Service advisor that my car was a type A.
Before I showed him the TSB I was being given the run around.

The service advisor was serious looking at the mileage though "11,974"
Right now I am having second thoughts on if I want them to go ahead with this as I have gotten used to the clutch now, I seriously hope this is worth it in the long run.
My philosphy is don't fix what ain't broke

Canadians. My Dealer got the TSB today. Parts have to come from USA. I won't be getting it done right away as I am in the middle of a move. At least until mid July for me. To be honest, I'd like someone else to be the dealers "guinea pig" if you get my drift.

To my fellow Canucks:

Just picked up the car today and it seems to be quite the change for the better. It actually feels like a "normal" manual transmission and the clutch isn't as stiff. The engagement is quicker and smoother. So far so good. Let's keep our fingers crossed (yippy)

I also picked up my car today after having the TSB done. The clutch and pedal is a night and day difference. If feels like the clutch I had in my RX8. I am very happy with the fix.

I Just dropped our car off, as the service advisor wasn't aware of the bulletin until I showed him, now they have the car atleast until tomorrow, I guess an area rep or someone is in Town and is going to have a look and say if it is a yay or nay for the work to go ahead.
but I showed the Service advisor that my car was a type A.
Before I showed him the TSB I was being given the run around.

The service advisor was serious looking at the mileage though "11,974"
Right now I am having second thoughts on if I want them to go ahead with this as I have gotten used to the clutch now, I seriously hope this is worth it in the long run.
My philosphy is don't fix what ain't broke

But it IS broke.... lol

I noticed you live in "Brandon, FL" or did you mean Brandenton? or something, anyways if you're close you can come and check out my clutch, but you won't regret getting the TSB done.....

Koenig
No it's Brandon, Just to the East of Tampa.

Ft Lauderdale is a fair drive away, I'll just go ahead with it.
The reason why I said if it ain't broke is because, I don't want to have to go through all that dropping of the engine and disconnection of coolant hoses etc.
The Service areas up here haven't been the best and this is the second one I've been too.
The first one I used to go to in Brandon (15 mins from the house) took 3 hrs to remove a screw in the tire
I had already jacked the car up and removed the wheel and was ready to take it up there and they said they have to see the whole car (WTF) it's a stock Speed 6 rim with the Original Bridgestone Potenza tire on it, my info is in the computer.

So I then had to install the fricking May pop (Donut) and then after the 3 hrs wait to fix it, and the fact that they had marked the rim (gouged the Paint) and were going to put the clip on/hammer on weights I was pissed,

the Service guy was lsaying "but you have to have weights on the wheel to balance them", I Said "I know that, I want the stick on weights", he said "but they come off all the time" I said no they don't actually, I am a bridge inspector so I am out on the roads all the time and I always see the clip on weights all over the place.
I have yet to see a stick on weight laying in the road, the centrifigal force helps to force the weight to the rim.
Service guy was like oh yeah that makes sense.
So there is the customer trust issue.

Sorry here we go a long rant

There was another small problem I had I while back which was the reason why I stopped going to the one in Brandon.
The Intercooler Cowling/cover has a clip on the back of the cover, two bolts to secure the cover to the intercooler mounted on the front, well one had sheared off and the remaining thread was still in the intercooler, after a half hour trying to explain to this one chick service advisor about the bolt she was none the wiser (her answer was that car has an intercooler, now banging head) I said listen I will be there in 10 mins, can I just pick up a new bolt. Well we need to see the car to do warranty work yada yada. Ok I'll be there in 10 mins.
I get there and show this woman where the bolt was located, she said I'm sorry you'll have to book it in for a new nut, "NUT" it is a sheared frickin Bolt, I want a new bolt, after 15 mins of trying to explain I was like screw it.

and I had vowed never to take my car to them again as it was, as my usual Service is across Town in Tampa.

I then got in touch with another dealer / service across town in Tampa.
I spoke with the service manager there and he knew exactly what I was talking about.
So now it is a 45 min drive to go over there and he said you'll have to leave the car with us, it'll be done by this afternoon, so I get a rental out it yippie.

anyway I get the car back later that day and check their work, the bolt they replaced was cross threaded (WTF) I managed to finally get it out and remove the cover, they only slipped with the drill trying to remove the old threads and drilled a completely new hole into the aluminum of the intercooler, and they didn't even tap new threads, they relied upon the new bolt cutting it's own threads. (argh) idiots.
I should have got the part number and ordered the new bolt and then did the work myself and this is two completely separate services. they screwed up something as small as this, what are they going to be like with a big job.

Sorry for the rant but as you can see I am stuck between a rock and a hard place, I don't trust any of them to perform the work competently, which is why I am a little concerned, I don't want to have parts falling off later, or the car breaking down

I'll keep you all posted, hopefully it won't be this long next time.

Well if you feel like driving....... Gunther Mazda won't steer you wrong, lol they're in Ft Lauderdale........ yeah, but they did my TSB and had the car back to me in less than 2 days. I went in and had them order the parts first and then call me when they came..... but yeah... i understand your dilemma..... no friends/family you can stay the weekend with in Ft Laud huh?

I don't know about dropping the engine out, I watched them with my car for a bit, they didn't drop the engine out but they removed a ton of stuff to get to everything.

I had the Type-A clutch so it had ALL the parts needed to be replaced, but I love the car a lot better now...

For what it is, it's definitely worth it, but you want to make sure you find a real good dealer.... uh try visiting mazda6 club's website and see, if I recall there is or was a thread that people had listed reliable dealers they had gone to in whatever city/state they were from...

I got my clutch done last week. It is much better, works softer, easier to shift, especially 1st - 2nd gear, however it still engages too high, IMHO. Maybe I just have to get used to it :) I think there is no "space" for adjustment, while pressing a pedal I can hear "click" pretty quick. I have never driven a car that had clutch working like this one. Will be observing :)

I got my clutch done last week. It is much better, works softer, easier to shift, especially 1st - 2nd gear, however it still engages too high, IMHO. Maybe I just have to get used to it :) I think there is no "space" for adjustment, while pressing a pedal I can hear "click" pretty quick. I have never driven a car that had clutch working like this one. Will be observing :)

If it engages too high it sounds like they forgot to readjust the pedal, try taking it back?

If it engages too high it sounds like they forgot to readjust the pedal, try taking it back?
It engages lower and a lot smoother than the old one, but it is still too high for me or maybe it is something wrong with me. You know, device between seat and steering wheel is defective :) Of course I will ask the dealer for readjustment. Is there any other adjustment to clutch pedal than described in "How-To"? When I press the pedal 1/8" or 1/6" I can hear rod hiting piston so it looks like there is no space for adjustment. I will check this on weekend. I will keep you posted.

Back